I believe in watchers....

Item sold a few days ago, decent sized lot, usually very slow selling.

Got another one to replace it ready, pictured and listed today.

It sold in 22 minutes.

I checked the watchers on the sold one, there were 3.

The latest buyer has purchased one of these some time ago.

I have to believe they were one of the 3 watchers, saw or got notified that the other one sold and that this one was listed and didn't wait this time.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: I believe in watchers....

You might be right. They could have been saving the purchase for a rainy day and then was unpleasantly surprised to see it got away and decided not to wait the second time.

At any rate, I am certain that Watchers help in Best Match search results even when they don't ever buy anything. 

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

At any rate, I am certain that Watchers help in Best Match search results even when they don't ever buy anything. 

And I do like the fact that eBay displays the number of watchers prominently, even in search results.  Nothing like sublimal pressure to encourage a purchase.  Although I've never been able to figure out precisely what the display threshold is on .com -- is it more than 10? 

Generally speaking I find that the more watchers an item has within a given timeframe, the sooner it will sell.  So an item that garners 5 or 10 watchers in a few days, or 12 to 15 within 2 or 3 weeks is likely going to sell quickly.  

Items that languish for weeks, even if they get dozens of watchers, are (I believe) probably the objects of looky-loos or wishful thinkers.  I don't have a lot of competitors, so I doubt they are the main source of my watchers.  However all this may not pertain in other categories. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

If it helps at all, here's my perspective as a buyer. I will often keep a sold or out of stock item in my watch list for as long as I can, or is necessary, and not delete it right away. I've seen it enough times when the seller relists another one (or more) hours, days, weeks or a month later. If I had deleted it from the list when it did sell then I may not have known about the 'back in stock' / relisting. This doesn't just apply to new (or NOS) never used items - it applies to ones that are "used" as well. It just depends on what the item is.

Many of the things I've bought are used and are the one-of-a-kind sort of things, or harder to find, etc. (No, I'm not referring to collectibles.) You never know when someone else will have another one for sale and in what condition. I have learned to not trust or rely on any of ebay's notification systems to let me know of new matches, especially recently.

This brings up a question that I've been wondering about. When a seller has more than 1 of the same item, then why not just list that quantity in stock to begin? Why wait until after that 1 is sold before listing another same one? I know that this doesn't apply to all sellers. It's just that for some of the ones I come across, it's kind of annoying. Look at it this way: If it appears that you have only 1 to sell, then after that 1 is sold, a buyer like me may not bother to come back to see if you have more. If you listed the quantity you had to begin with, then I'm more likely to keep tabs on how many may be left, and therefore, more likely to look through the rest of your listings. Wouldn't you want to have potential buyers come back rather than just leaving after finding out that 1 has been sold?

I'm aware that the seller may not actually have additional stock on hand, though it may be on its way, - this isn't what I'm talking about. I'm referring to the ones that do seem to have that additional stock, as seems to be indicated by the speed of which the new listing is made.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@burge.ca2015 wrote:
... This brings up a question that I've been wondering about. When a seller has more than 1 of the same item, then why not just list that quantity in stock to begin? ...

Here's a few...

(1) Some sellers sell stuff on more than one platform and do not want to sell out and end up with sale cancellations elsewhere.

(2) Some sellers are set up to ship 1 item per order. In my case, for some items I list a max of 2, because there's a big jump in shipping cost for more than 2.  The ebay selling form only has shipping rates for 1 plus an additional amount for more than 1.

(3) Some sellers prefer not to have all the eggs in one basket, and don't want to risk all the stock selling to one buyer.

(4) Some sellers restock quickly but prefer to not have much inventory on hand.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Hi Burge! Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

In addition to YPDCs, here are some other reasons I can think of too:

- In my experience some people want to see the exact picture of the exact thing they are buying. Once it has a quantity of 2 then they know it theoretically is a "stock" photo

-the items are not exactly the same. In my case the item was a batch of covers (envelopes with stamps on them). While I have several batches ready to sell, the exact covers inside each lot are not the same.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply