I just deleted all of my 1800 listings time to boycott Ebay Management Payment

33nhl
Community Member

I just ended all my 1800+ listings after talking to Ebay costumer support as they would not transfer me to supervisor.

Reason is now i find out that get this

A buyer in Canada can make an offer on an item thus you as seller thinking that the item will be shipped to Canada thus before accepting the offer you know that you will pay 12.35% in fees of the total invoice.

So you accept the offer and send an invoice

Now though the buyer can change the address and have the item shipped to China/Australia/Russia where ever they want so they can change the address. mean while in the invoice you had sent thinking it be sent in Canada thus say cost shipping you put in the invoice say $5.00  now ends up costing you $20.00 to ship to some other country meanwhile in the invoice the buyer pays for shipping will be $5.00  not $20.00

Further more Ebay loves this cause now you as seller going to pay ebay an extra 1% fee of the total amount cause now the buyer put a different shipping address then what you thought would be Canadian mailing address.

If this is not a pure scam by Ebay then i dont know what is.

I was told now this will be the norm a buyer can make offer with one country address and have it mailed to an other country.

Was clearly told if i dont like it not list or to stop selling to USA or INTERNATIONAL but still that wont stop cause if buyer uses Canada to make offer can still have it shipped over seas thus Ebay again screws seller by still collecting 1%  more in fees.

The only way to 100% avoid this would be not to accept offers as then and only then when a buyer makes the actual purchase with clciking on the buy now button then and only then the item has to be sent to address registered when buyer makes the purchase.

Time  has come to boycott Ebay......  

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Could you not just send an invoice with the "correct" shipping on it and if the buyer refuses to pay it, you should be able to cancel the transaction using "problem with buyer's address" as a valid reason?  Or am I missing something here?

Message 2 of 39
latest reply

@snoopwiz wrote:

Could you not just send an invoice with the "correct" shipping on it and if the buyer refuses to pay it, you should be able to cancel the transaction using "problem with buyer's address" as a valid reason?  Or am I missing something here?

@33nhl 

Shouldn't an invoice with the correct applicable(shipping connected to delivery address)  be sent by ebay automatically? Unless (not saying this is what is happening) the buyer is requesting an invoice to bypass the system?  As per above you would be within your rights to cancel as per address. Personally I only use send an invoice when a revised amount has been discussed and agreed upon by both parties.

-Lotz

Message 3 of 39
latest reply

What happens when the buyer has paid and the address has been changed?

Can you Cancel using  "Problem with Address"?

Did you try that yet?

Message 4 of 39
latest reply

Here is better explenation example

Im the buyer in Canada 

I make an offer on an item and the seller is also in Canada

The seller accepts my offer and sends the invoice with shipping cost for Canada

Now though i have 3 other mailing address such as in USA --RUSSIA-AUSTRALIA registered on ebay but when i made offer it was showing as Canada

So i go to pay and i decide i want the item sent to Australia so the system allows me to change mailing address to Australia from Canada mean while the shipping amount that i would pay does not change to reflect extra  cost to Australia and and i pay it.

Now seller gets notification from eaby that buyer has paid and sees the fees structure plus sees that my shipping address is Austarlia and not Canada as originally when i made the offer as being in Canada thus item would been shipped in Canada.

With item now having to be shipped to Australia sellers has more shipping costs to pay but also get this although buyer is in Canada since the item is being now shipped to Australia Ebay collects an extra 1% on the total invoice amount cause if the item had been mailed to Canada there would not be an extra 1% fee charged as per terms in the Management Payment section it clearly says that if buyer chooses to ship to other country then what he/she is registered seller will still pay extra 1% fee on total purchase including on top of any tax the buyer may have to pay for duties sale tax ect.

So now seller is forced to cancel the trasaction and put up with the ebay  messed up that system now allows buyer to change address before making payment.

I was told the only way out of this new  rediculous set up is to only sell/ship to Canada  or  to not offer any more on my listings BEST OFFER Option 

Message 5 of 39
latest reply

33nhl
Community Member

Buyer now under best offer option upon seller accepting it and sending the invoice the buyer can chagne the address to an other then the original one he/she had made offer with  and there is no way of knowing that the address is been changed until buyer pays and you as a seller get notification from ebay that the item has been paid for and then you see that in stead of mailing to Canada you now have to mail over seas plus paying more fees to ebay and you cant resend or send an other an invoice once the buyers pays it,

This Management Payment system should be trashed it was set up to take more money from seller no to make it more easier.

Message 6 of 39
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
How big a problem is this for you currently?
Message 7 of 39
latest reply

Then you cancel the transaction as Problem with Address.

Any payment will automatically be refunded.

EASY.png

Message 8 of 39
latest reply

@33nhl wrote:

Here is better explenation example

Im the buyer in Canada 

I make an offer on an item and the seller is also in Canada

The seller accepts my offer and sends the invoice with shipping cost for Canada

In this exampler the SELLER has made a mistake by sending an invoice, they don't need to and they shouldn't. The primary reason is that it locks in the shipping charge.

This has nothing to do with Best Offer per se, sending an invoice locks in the shipping charge regardless of the type of transaction.

The buyer can simply pay oncer the seller has accepted the offer, in checkout eBay will apply the appropriate shipping charge based on the address the buyer selects in checkout and whatever charges the seller has detailed (fixed rate or calculated).

Bottom line.....don't send invoices unless you are adjusting combined shipping charges based on a Request Total. Once the buyer commits via a Request Total they cannot change their shipping address.

FYI - This has NOTHING to do with Managed Payments, it's worked this way for a decade or more.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 9 of 39
latest reply

So if I have an offer that I accept I should message the buyer to use the Request a Total option as that will lock in the shipping location?   

Message 10 of 39
latest reply

For an offer on a single item you don't need to do anything.

Unless I gfrossly misunderstand the Offer process.

Buyer makes offer

Seller Accepts

Item is now sold to the buyer

Buyer goes to checkout

Buyer provides their shipping address

eBay applies the appropriate shipping charge based on the parameters set by the Seller

Buyer pays

Seller ships!

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 11 of 39
latest reply

33nhl
Community Member

Buyer makes offer

Seller recieves the offer and sees shows buyer being in Canada

Seller Accepts offer

Item is SOLD

Seller sends invoice with shipping cost for Canada as that is what shown on the invoice

NOW THOUGH

Buyer goes to checkout to pay seeing his offer was accepted

Buyer is now alowed  to provide a different address in different country then the one that was originaly showing when the seller sent him the invoice total.

Before this Management and some other changes Ebay people did past 12 months,  the buyer could not alter the shipping address in the check out section when they went to pay for the purchase.

Now though they can change the address thus in the invoice sent by seller may say Canada address buyer can change to China address just before they pay in the checkout payment section.  As long as they have registred the extra mailing address before purchase

Message 12 of 39
latest reply

dont forget that when seller accepts an offer Ebay automatically sends an invoice before a seller can send one to the buyer

Message 13 of 39
latest reply

@33nhl wrote:

dont forget that when seller accepts an offer Ebay automatically sends an invoice before a seller can send one to the buyer

And if I'm understanding @recped correctly, when eBay automatically sends an invoice it will automatically apply the shipping charge corresponding to the address the buyer provides at checkout based on information on the listing's shipping charges supplied by the seller for the listing.  If the seller sends an invoice as well, the seller's invoice overrides eBay's invoicing process.

Message 14 of 39
latest reply

@33nhl wrote:

Buyer makes offer

Seller recieves the offer and sees shows buyer being in Canada

Seller Accepts offer

Item is SOLD

Seller sends invoice with shipping cost for Canada as that is what shown on the invoice

NOW THOUGH

Buyer goes to checkout to pay seeing his offer was accepted

Buyer is now alowed  to provide a different address in different country then the one that was originaly showing when the seller sent him the invoice total.

Before this Management and some other changes Ebay people did past 12 months,  the buyer could not alter the shipping address in the check out section when they went to pay for the purchase.

Now though they can change the address thus in the invoice sent by seller may say Canada address buyer can change to China address just before they pay in the checkout payment section.  As long as they have registred the extra mailing address before purchase

This may be the way you think it works but buyers have been able to pick any address they want to use (as long as it's in a location the sellers ships to) since at least 2008.

I do it frequently because my default address is in Canada but I often use my US address. I only need to change it in advance when I purchase something from a seller that does not ship to Canada, if they do ship to Canada I can change the address in checkout which I do because a lot of sellers who offer free shipping within the US want to charge US$20 - US$30 to ship to Canada. I use a forwarder who only charges CA$7 - 10, to  bring my package over the border, saves money and is much faster.

Message 15 of 39
latest reply

33nhl
Community Member

Before this new Management and other changes

If you had 2 mailing address you had to change the address before making an offer or purchase to corespond to the address you want the item sent to.

So if you made an offer or purchase with a Canada address it had to be sent to the Canada address

Now you can make an offer with a Canada address and then before paying change it to USA address  that was not allowed before.

If a seller offers free shipping with in Canada only and you have 2 address 1 in Canada and 1 in USA

You can make an offer with the Canada address thus free shipping will show in the invoice if its accepted by the seller.

Then before you pay  you change the address to USA thus still when you pay it will show free shipping which the seller is only offering free shipping to Canada.

If any one does not see this issue they  are sleeping.

If  i get an offer and i see that it says CANADA i expect that i will be mailing to Canada address.

Cause if i sell an item by accepting the offer and total is $1000.00  i expect to ship to Canada thus buyer is not paying tax as i dont have store/business

But now the buyer is able to chage address and say have the item shipped to GERMANY instead which has a VAT/SALETAX rate of 24% although the buyer will pay that 24% tax on the $1000.00  why in the hell should i pay ebay after an EXTRA 1% in fee on the $1000.00 as an international transaction,  when the dam originally offer was from Canada address but now being shipped to GERMANY plus on the portion of the 24% tax once i again why would i have to pay Ebay 12.35% plus extra 1% for being International transaction when the offer i got was clearly showing a CANADA address.

If you dont see this being wrong then keep given ebay your money

Message 16 of 39
latest reply

33nhl
Community Member

This is similar to if you have multiple options for shipping with in your listing

The buyer can now select what ever shipping they want if you provide multiple options

Thus if you have 

Regualr mail

Express post

Registered

UPS

FED EX

and in the invoice you send to buyer  showing item must be sent FED EX 

the buyer before paying can select regualr mail instead or vis versa

but i guess this too is not problem

Message 17 of 39
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
So far, I’m not seeing anything that suggests that this would be a problem for sellers who rely strictly on eBay’s automatic invoicing system, which forces buyers to select their shipping address and shipping method at Checkout.
Message 18 of 39
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:
So far, I’m not seeing anything that suggests that this would be a problem for sellers who rely strictly on eBay’s automatic invoicing system, which forces buyers to select their shipping address and shipping method at Checkout.

For sellers like @33nhl  or @triber that sell multiple items at one time revised manual invoices are a necessity of life. In most cases the eBay invoice the buyer receives is usually inaccurate for various reasons. (eBay's built in tools may work with apples & apples. Not so well with apples and bricks.) A seller could refund after the fact but then loses on any seller FVF's because those are not refunded on partials. Inaccurate invoices have been a neverending issue for me for many years because of the calculators defects for selling multiple units of the same item. Additional weight is for the unit(s) not a box per unit. Most buyers expect accurate shipping and in turn expect a refund if they even think it is excessive. If buyers can modify a ship to address after receiving an invoice this is a defect in eBay's system. Like flat rate shipping for multiple units all that would be required for calculated would be a box with the extra per unit weight ONLY. Then the system could do the math appropriately. (There is no easy solution when dimensional weight is in play.)

-Lotz

Message 19 of 39
latest reply

It's obviously your decision to sell elsewhere but in this case,  your thought process may be flawed.

As other sellers mentioned, all you have to do is cancel the transaction and you will be out the .30 fee only. Or ask  them for their PP address and send them an invoice for the extra shipping amount. 

Again.... you are incorrect in that this is something new with managed payments. As I mentioned and elaborated on in your 'checkout' post, the system has allowed buyers to commit to buy/accept an offer with one address and when they pay use another address. If you don't believe me, you should believe recped as he is one of the most knowlegable posters here.

How many times have you had this problem in past years?  This is the first time isn't it? So that proves that it is not a big problem..its not something that happens a lot.  Also....when you accepted the offer or vice versa, if you had let the buyer pay with the invoice that ebay sent, they would have been charged shipping to the UK.   Yes you still would have had to pay the international fee but Paypal also had that 1% international fee for overseas buyers so again..that's not something new with managed payments.

Message 20 of 39
latest reply