I just put my store on vacation - wouldn't it be great if ebay halved our store fees.

Due to possible postal issues as I sell both here and internationally, I have put my store on indefinite vacation.  They just did a lockdown in California and I suspect NY and Washington to be next.   Flights to England are stopping on Sunday. 

When my gym closed down they stated that for however long they would be closed they would extend my gym membership, so if they close for 2 months, my gym membership would be extended 2 months.  I have been getting all sorts of emails from businesses offering different things, extensions etc. 

I would like ebay to do their part and possibly reduce store fees by 50% while this is going on.   You can sell items that can not be delivered.  I don't want to have to cancel my store and then restart it when this is all over.

Message 1 of 53
latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

I just put my store on vacation - wouldn't it be great if ebay halved our store fees.

"They just did a lockdown in California and I suspect NY and Washington to be next.   Flights to England are stopping on Sunday".

I believe the mail is still getting through so it would be business as usual in North America and the United Kingdom. 

Were did you read that these states are blocking International mail and packages from being delivered? 

Message 2 of 53
latest reply

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Canada-Post-International-suspension-of-service-March-19...

They just put the order out in California 1 hour ago, no time yet to update USPS.  Do you really think they would continue to deliver parcels during a lockdown?

Message 3 of 53
latest reply

A friend is here on holiday from the UK and was supposed to leave in 2 weeks.  She was advised that no more flights to the UK after Sunday, so she cut her vacation short and is flying home on Sat.  I am not sure what airline.  

Message 4 of 53
latest reply

That post has nothing to do with the United Kingdom, California, New York or Washington.

Please provide a link to where California is blocking International mail from being delivered. 

Message 5 of 53
latest reply

Countries, Provinces and States are blocking human traffic from entering not International mail. 

Message 6 of 53
latest reply

My thread was really to do with our store fees and ebay to give us a break on store fees.  I don't want to take that chance regarding the mail, you can, not me.  Things are changing hourly so if you want to take chances with international mail (including US) best of luck.   I just had a 48 day cruise canceled on me starting March 15 so I have very little faith in things to go according to plans. 

Sales have pretty much dried up for me and I don't want to take any chances with the shipping.  I just would like ebay to help us out with the store fees.  

Message 7 of 53
latest reply

"Sales have pretty much dried up for me and I don't want to take any chances with the shipping".

Sales over the last week have dried up for me too. But, I'm going to stay open until Canada Post and USPS limits mail travel within North America. It would be nice but I doubt that eBay will discount store subscription fees. 

Good luck and stay safe..... 

Message 8 of 53
latest reply

I got a Free Listing offer on two of my accounts today.

One might come in handy since I am working on a 300 book backlong of books that dropped off eBay without notice at some point in the past (three?) years since the not U$ on dotCA situation.

Message 9 of 53
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

Due to possible postal issues as I sell both here and internationally, I have put my store on indefinite vacation.  They just did a lockdown in California and I suspect NY and Washington to be next.   

The California lockdown from now to April 7 does not apply to essential services. The USPS is classed as an essential service.

Without the lockdown "experts were projecting that roughly 56 per cent of Californians, or about 25.5 million people, were expected to contract the respiratory illness over the next eight weeks."

-..-

Message 10 of 53
latest reply

In my opinion we are entering uncharted territory with this new virus.  Who knows what will happen in the world for the future.   People all over the world are getting sick, medical facilities are overloaded.  Cruises cancelled, flights cancelled, borders closed, restaurants closed, social distancing encouraged, Disneyland, Disneyworld and other major attractions etc closed.  People losing jobs, run on the toilet paper, hand wipes, groceries.  I don't think that I know what is coming next, but I at least do not have to worry, if the mail is continuing as I put my store on vacation.  I will continue to list with my listings being invisible.  My sister in law and nephew are in isolation as they have been exposed to covid - 19. 

My thought is that with the sales being lower, and many stores going on vacation, that ebay could give us (sellers) a break, otherwise I will have to end my listings and cancel my store if it goes on for a few months.  

I hope everyone is safe and healthy and remains that way.

Message 11 of 53
latest reply

@musicyouneed 

The one thing to take into consideration about closing a store is the eBay Termination Fees if you are not at the end of your contract. Would eBay waive those fees under the circumstances???

4. Canceling your subscription

When canceling your Stores subscription:

• You receive Stores benefits through the current calendar month. Your Stores free-insertion-fee listing allotment ends after the current calendar month.
  • You're billed through the end of the current calendar month.
  • Starting the next calendar month, you pay standard fees for any new listings.
  • The final value fee in effect at the time of the listing, relisting, or Good 'Til Cancelled listing renewal applies to all listings.
  • Depending on when you cancel your yearly subscription, you may be charged an early termination fee.

If you cancel a subscription that is not yet effective, no early termination fee is charged for that subscription.

Early termination fee

• If you cancel your yearly subscription before the last calendar month of your subscription, you're charged an early termination fee.
  • If you cancel your yearly subscription during the last month of your subscription you're not charged an early termination fee.
  • There's no early termination fee for canceling a monthly subscription.
  • The early termination fee rates are calculated by dividing the (i) the product of (a) remaining months left in the subscription and (b) applicable monthly subscription fee by (ii) 3. Based on the above formula, the fee structure would be as follows:

https://pages.ebay.ca/stores/subscriptionterms.html

-Lotz

Message 12 of 53
latest reply

I found out my store contract ends: 

Your yearly Premium Store subscription was renewed on September 1, 2019.

The monthly subscription fee for your Premium Store is $59.95. This subscription begins on September 1, 2019. Your new subscription and the length of the term of your new subscription will renew automatically and continue until you cancel it.

Just depends on what is happening in the world.  The world may not go back to normal for 2 years.  I remember 2008, I stopped selling and didn't start up again until  years later.  I may just sell the 50 free a month until things change.  

Message 13 of 53
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

Message 14 of 53
latest reply

Good luck with that! I don't see that happening with other sites like Amazon, etc....

selling on eBay or on any selling venue for that matter, is not a necessity of life. Sellers who choose to sell online and then make it their necessity, are doing so by choice...

there are choices in life and those choices need to be adjusted and adapted to whatever situations occur along the way.

Adjust, adapt and keeping moving along...

Stay calm and carry on as best as you can!

Individual sellers will have to consider and do what is best for them and how the situation affects and/or will affect them will play a role in the decision.

I also understand how the local establishments want to keep their businesses afloat and are offering concessions but I just don't see that happening with online selling venues...

Message 15 of 53
latest reply

If you live in Quebec there are no cancelation fees, we use French Civil Law in the province and eBay has to follow Quebec Laws.

The English Civil Law is not used here.

You can cancel your Store Subscription anytime you wish without penalty.

As for the rest of Canada as stated above... cancel at your own risk.

Message 16 of 53
latest reply

Even in a crisis countries still rely on mail to deliver essential items.

I just sent a package off to the states not more than a week ago and so far so good. I'm still receiving mail up here in Canada.

You may experience a downturn in sales but I don't think you'll experience a mail lockout in the state of California.

Message 17 of 53
latest reply

@brettjet38 @musicyouneed 

Thanks for sharing about the unique rules for Quebec. Funny how rules can be so different province to province or even state to state as we are hearing first hand with all the Covid 19 updates. Learn something new every day!!

I find it interesting how "some" companies can be totally inflexible when it comes to unique circumstances.  I spoke to Shaw the other day about slightly modifying my cable package. A sports bundle is not really useable at this time with all the sports that have been cancelled. Switching to a different service for a few month until this hopefully goes away? NO WAY, NO HOW. And for the folks that still watch VOD movies etc they bumped up their fees. You would think right now that more people would be looking for entertainment(not everyone has Netflix) so keeping prices low would be good business decision. Guess not. Bottom line first....Customer last!!

-Lotz

Message 18 of 53
latest reply

Our cable company has a whole bunch of free promotions/free channels right now so all is good in TV land for me....definitely need some distractions from listening to the news...

Message 19 of 53
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 

I, on the other hand have 200 channels with nothing on and no longer qualify for the free promotions. The Dr Ho channel is not a channel no matter what Shaw/Bell think. Mind you they do always end the call with...And thank you for being a customer since....!! Ummm Thanks!!

-Lotz

Message 20 of 53
latest reply