I wish eBay would be consistent with their policy

This has happened a couple of times and it is really annoying.  List an item.  eBay contacts me a day later to tell me they have removed the item for a policy violation.  No problem.  Two days later I receive a message from eBay encouraging me to revisit another sellers listing for a similar item.  Go figure.  Surely, they have the technology in place to rectify these situations.  As mentioned, this has happened a couple of times.  eBay removes an item for a policy violation and yet when I research the item before I list it and after they have removed it, lo and behold, there are mutliple similar items for sale.  If my listing is removed then eBay should be removing all of the other similar listings as well.   IMHO.  

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Out of curiosity, what was the item?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Out of curiosity, what was the item?

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

@coolthings123 wrote:

If my listing is removed then eBay should be removing all of the other similar listings as well.   IMHO.  

eBay doesn't go around inspecting all the listings on its site.  It relies on snitches members hitting the "Report this Item" link on the listing page to alert eBay of a problem.  If you feel these other listings are also in violation of eBay policy, you're welcome to file your own reports.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

It was a vintage lot of obsolete British police cap badges.  

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Heard from another member today who has had similar experiences in the past and noted it is probably a "competitor" who has complained.   Apparently, these "competitors" have way too much time on their hands or they are simply just incompetent business people who have to go out their way to thwart others in order to make up for their lack of business accumen.   I personally don't have the time to do eBay's job for them.  If eBay was really sincere about everyone adhering to the various listing policies they would be making a concerted effort to police the site themselves rather than relying on "members"  to do it on their behalf.   At the end of the day I think eBay provides "lip service" to this problem.   They can say they have a process in place but the process is only initiated if there is a complaint from someone.  This is totally subject to abuse.  In reality it is all about money.   All the fees that would be lost if all of the items that were in violation of some policy were suddenly removed would be staggering.   

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I doubt that reports from other members are the only way that they find listings that they don't want up. A lot of it is automated but I have no idea why they remove only some listings that are similar or why the bots don't catch them before they are listed.

Just as an fyi for anyone who doesn't know, there is an 'official'policy about those type of items.

The following items can’t be listed for sale on eBay:

• Law enforcement and other government-issued uniforms, badges, or accessories, such as hats, jackets, or shirts,or replicas of these items
  • Official emergency lighting systems or sirens, including lenses or LEDs for these systems

https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/policerelated-items-policy?id=4319

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@coolthings123 wrote:

If eBay was really sincere about everyone adhering to the various listing policies they would be making a concerted effort to police the site themselves rather than relying on "members"  to do it on their behalf.  

Your local police force is probably sincere about all drivers adhering to the speed limit in school and playground zones, but they can't set up speed traps in those zones 24-7.  It's just not feasible.

Further to @pjcdn2005's excellent post, though, could these sellers be getting away with listing these items the way they are because they're listing them in inappropriate categories?

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

This is all well and good.  eBay also has a category for these items which number is the 1000's.  It is under Collectibles, Historical Memoribilia, Police, Badges Obsolete.  Their category violates their own policy.  

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Schools and playground zones aren't subject to special speed limits 24-7.  Regardless, while it might not be feasible or reasonable to expect eBay to catch all of the items that may or may not violate policy I believe with the advances there have been with technology they could be doing a far better job.  Again, my position is, if they want to pull one of my listings  that is perfectly fine with me.  However, to be fair, every other similar listing on eBay should be pulled as well.  Levels the playing field for everyone.  

Message 9 of 9
latest reply