INR case prior est. delivery date!?

Shipped lettermail and buyer jumped to claim money back. 6 days prior estimated delivery date.

How this is even possible? 

Capture.PNG

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: INR case prior est. delivery date!?

"I'm still lost on how this was possible and allowed."

Where did you ship the item to?!

Within Canada or to the USA?

And, eBay CS can look at the entire "History" of a Seller when responding to a Buyer request, they take into account the number of "Historical Issues" an account has when deciding the course of action on a request...

That includes the shipping history of the Seller and how many other "Items not received" have gone through that account and how they were resolved, if the said Seller has a history of shipping untracked and refunds were issued in the past for that issue, chances are the CS will open a request early for the Buyer based on historic data and outcomes of disputes of the Seller.

Data, data, data...

Message 21 of 32
latest reply

"It was weird. Not normal that a buyer was able to claim refund 5 days prior stated ebay rules."

Well, if the Buyer is in the USA and you are in Canada it would not seem weird at all, as you are supposed to ship using a legit Postal Service with tracking and a customs declaration or at least the UR code from the small packets service.

Letterpost to the USA does not fit those criteria and is illegal for any merch.

So yes, it would be logical that the CS opened the claim early as they would know this from the historical data of your accounts.

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

In passing -- the USPS is much faster with deliveries than Canada Post.

Most Americans expect delivery within a week.

If we use LetterMail for US customers, they WILL be concerned when the shipment arrives later than they feel in their experience that it should.

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

How or where the item was mailed isn't revelent to why the case was opened early. eBay doesn't take into account on how an item was mailed.  They don't know how an item was sent since it is not required that a seller use tracking or enter a tracking number when the item is mailed. To suggest that ebay opened the case early simply because they suspect that the item was mailed to the US via lettermail isn't logical at all.   The only time they care if there is tracking is when they decide upon a case after the estimated delivery date.  They never ask what method was used when the item was sent.

You've made your point many times about sending goods internationally via lettermail.  I think that we all get your point.

Message 24 of 32
latest reply

All mail containing merchandise must have a customs declaration form completed when sending the item to the U.S. or an international destination (see Completing customs documents).

The customs declaration is part of our shipping label and also includes the addressee and sender names and addresses.

It’s your responsibility to make sure you provide all customs documentation and item content information and certificates for the goods you ship.

You must also make sure that the documentation and information is complete, accurate, and legible.

Failure to do so may cause us to return the item to the sender at your expense.

It could also result in delays, non-delivery, voided guarantees, or fines or customs seizure in the international destination (if applicable).

You cannot put a CUSTOMS DECLARATION on a Letterpost envelope.

You CAN NOT ship ANY merch to the USA using Letterpost.

Message 25 of 32
latest reply

What the heck the legally of using letterpost has to do here. Literally wrote lettermail. Those shipments are all domestic shipments. Ratings has nothing to do here too and i don't have a single selling defect since i'm selling. This is all non-sense hostility with again as only intention to trigger me. 

Just swap the policies page to .com, this is the same rules. Earliest timeframe to open a INR is past estimated delivery date. 

You've made your point many times about sending goods internationally via lettermail.  I think that we all get your point.

Honestly i cannot make a single post nowadays without getting harassed. I'm glad at least one person notice the repeat pattern from those users.

Message 26 of 32
latest reply

"They don't know how an item was sent since it is not required that a seller use tracking or enter a tracking number when the item is mailed."

By the end of next year, it will be, officially, for every item shipped.

UPU rules for 2025

As for the rules, I will post them as often as I feel is needed.

And, YES it does matter where the OP shipped the item from and where it was going, and different rules do apply depending on the Buyers location to say otherwise simply implies you are not up to date on current tech and policies.

"You've made your point many times about sending goods internationally via lettermail.  I think that we all get your point."

Evidently, not.

It's called Letter-post, not Lettermail at least get it right mate 😉 that's why people get confused about Canada & USA shipping when the posters cannot even refer to the correct thing in the first place.

Canada Post provides Lettermail service for economic shipping of cards, catalogues, or CDs within Canada.

For delivery to the United States, Canadian businesses that ship paper noncommercial items in small envelopes use the Letter-post service.

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
Is there any possibility that the buyer opened a claim through PayPal which doesn’t have the same timeframes as the MBG? I don’t know what makes a PayPal claim look different from a MBG claim on the seller’s end.
Message 28 of 32
latest reply

Ummm Paypal, that is also possible they do have a different timeframe and the Buyers can use that to open a dispute (if it has not changed) I stopped using Paypal almost completely since we went to MP.

However, the eBay customer rep would have seen that fact and passed it along to the Seller when asked about it...

Message 29 of 32
latest reply

Is there any possibility that the buyer opened a claim through PayPal which doesn’t have the same timeframes as the MBG? I don’t know what makes a PayPal claim look different from a MBG claim on the seller’s end.

Bingo. It must be that! Since the case wasn't respecting ebay policies/rules, it must be a case forced from the outside. And it bypassed ebay rules. Either paypal or a chargeback.

And the support talked to me like i never shipped, while it was marked as shipped, it was weird but it makes sense if they were not looking at the ebay order there. 

Message 30 of 32
latest reply

And, here it is...

3 min article

Handling payment disputes

A payment dispute is when a buyer requests their money back by reporting an issue with their order to their bank, credit card provider, PayPal, or other payment institution. This is different to our eBay Money Back Guarantee, when your buyer reports an issue with their order on eBay. The disputed amount may be placed on hold until the issue is resolved. This is different to a hold being placed on your payouts, when you may need to take further action on your eBay account to resolve the issue.

When your buyer opens a payment dispute, we’ll contact you to let you know what the next steps are. To respond, you'll need to either accept or challenge the payment dispute within 5 calendar days - if you don’t respond, the payment institution is likely to find in your buyer's favour. You can respond through My eBay Sold or Requests and disputes in Seller Hub. The final outcome will be decided by the buyer’s payment institution.

Buyer doesn’t recognise the transaction or Buyer didn't receive the item

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/getting-paid/handling-payment-disputes?id=4799#section1

So yes they used Paypal to open the request...

Message 31 of 32
latest reply

And, YES it does matter where the OP shipped the item from and where it was going, and different rules do apply depending on the Buyers location to say otherwise simply implies you are not up to date on current tech and policies.

I am referring to eBay rules.  If an item is sent from Quebec to Alberta vs Quebec to New York the rules on eBay are the same.  They do not require tracking be entered when an item is mailed to either location and they don't look at or even  know in many cases which service was used.

I don't think that referring to the international service as lettermail rather than letterpost confuses people as I doubt that most realize there are two different names. But I do think that the majority realize the services have difference rules as those rules have been discussed here for years. The letterpost rules haven't changed recently, they are just enforcing them more now.   

Please post a link to the new upu rules requiring tracking in 2025 as I would like to read about them.  I did look but couldn't find what you are specifically referring to.

Message 32 of 32
latest reply