Input requested: Community Board Streamline

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone - it's me! Your recently-absentee Community representative. 

I'm here to share a bit more about the project that has pulled me away for the last while. Sneak peek here

As part of that, I wanted to get your input on a restructure of the boards that I am considering. I am attaching photos of the current home page layout and drop downs. Items in red highlights would be removed. Items in Blue would be moved or renamed. 

Please feel free to share your thoughts below!

Renaming 'Seller News' to 'Announcements'. Removing the Seller Updates and System Status sectionsRenaming 'Seller News' to 'Announcements'. Removing the Seller Updates and System Status sectionsEliminating all Q&A boards except for Buying and SellingEliminating all Q&A boards except for Buying and SellingFocusing boards that receive larger traffic and moving boards to align with categories that make more sense than current layouts.Focusing boards that receive larger traffic and moving boards to align with categories that make more sense than current layouts. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Quick heads up tyler@ebay  your here brings you to the eBay Canada a la Française. For me my limit is bibliothèque. Pretty much ends there.

-Lotz

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Unfortunately I am not bilingual so I cannot read the French page, are you stating the 'seller central' board will be removed?

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

doh! I see now that the seller central will remain.
Message 4 of 24
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

To be honest, I've never been crazy about the heading "Announcements" in the community section.  It doesn't convey that much urgency or a sense of "You really should read this section, there's information here that may affect how you use eBay."  If headers such as "Seller News" and "Seller Updates" are going to go, I feel that this is going to compound the problem of important developments going unread by members.

While whittling down the "newsy" sections is a great idea, I think the remaining section needs to be renamed something along the lines of "News and Updates" to ensure that members don't think this is a section for wedding announcements, obituaries, and that sort of thing.  😁

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

It might be an idea to keep Site Issues. Definitely on the need to know side!!!

-Lotz

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

A Site issues sectionwill still be on the discussion board, just not in the answer center.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

In addition to Paypal, which will remain as a Buyer service, adding Managed Payments would be important.

I can't see why eBay Stores would be under Buyers.

I really doubt Buyers give a tinker's about whether they are buying from a Store subscriber or not. Keep in mind that a very large cohort of buyers think they are buying from eBay itself.

For the rest.

I'm a clumper.

Selling Questions and Discussions.

Buying Questions and Discussions.

Further division is, in my opinion, unnecessary.

Hmm-- maybe a specific Board for "Scams and Warnings". Put it out there that eBay recognizes that not everyone here is one of the Good Guys and is ready to help and advise.

And why is eBay Cafe also Town Square?

And what is it?

FWIW- When I drop in here, way more often than I should since I have no life, I just hit Community and everything shows up.

Am I alone in that?

Perhaps we do need the Buyer Questions and Problems to encourage those who are strangers here or feel a little nervous.

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

Hi Tyler, 
The announcements are aimed at sellers so  you might want to keep the term sellers news on the main page but clean up the announcement page just like you’ve indicated.   Or, if you are going to rename it announcements do we even need it to link it to a menu page?  I think that when we used to click on announcements it took us directly to the announcement page,,,there was no extra link to click on. 

The categories that are being deleted looks good!  

Rather than check the different boards,I usually just go to the home page and read the ‘latest discussions’. Hopefully we will still be able to do that. It looks like we will be able to but like the others, my French isn’t that great so I can only judge the eBay France page on looks, not on what it says.  The layout on that page does look good though!

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

My input is minimal because I've only ever gone into "Seller Central" and sometimes the "weekly chat" which are both still there which is good by me!

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
@lotzofuniquegoodies

Couldn't agree more!

Sellers issues or problems Shoulnt be made public. Sellers should be entitled to their opinions in a private sellers group, without have them removed or fluffed up so it makes ebay look good.

Also putting information publicly on issues surrounding returns and scams is like offering tips on how to get free product from ebay. Surprisingly no one has made a book yet.
Message 11 of 24
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Quick heads up tyler@ebay  your here brings you to the eBay Canada a la Française. For me my limit is bibliothèque. Pretty much ends there.

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies - hahahaa yes, it's the French site (they rolled out last week). If you use Google Chrome as a browser you can usually ask it to translate for you. The look and feel will be similar for us though!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 12 of 24
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

To be honest, I've never been crazy about the heading "Announcements" in the community section.  It doesn't convey that much urgency or a sense of "You really should read this section, there's information here that may affect how you use eBay."  If headers such as "Seller News" and "Seller Updates" are going to go, I feel that this is going to compound the problem of important developments going unread by members.

While whittling down the "newsy" sections is a great idea, I think the remaining section needs to be renamed something along the lines of "News and Updates" to ensure that members don't think this is a section for wedding announcements, obituaries, and that sort of thing.  😁

Hi @marnotom! - this is a really good point. I like the idea of News & Updates as the header section - and it also avoids a weird double name issue (click Announcements and then Announcements again).

When it comes to the actual 'Seller Updates' and 'Seller News' sections I won't be able to bring over those as dedicated links, but I could move the discussion board we've used for Seller Updates to the News & Updates section.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 13 of 24
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

In addition to Paypal, which will remain as a Buyer service, adding Managed Payments would be important.

I can't see why eBay Stores would be under Buyers.

I really doubt Buyers give a tinker's about whether they are buying from a Store subscriber or not. Keep in mind that a very large cohort of buyers think they are buying from eBay itself.

For the rest.

I'm a clumper.

Selling Questions and Discussions.

Buying Questions and Discussions.

Further division is, in my opinion, unnecessary.

Hmm-- maybe a specific Board for "Scams and Warnings". Put it out there that eBay recognizes that not everyone here is one of the Good Guys and is ready to help and advise.

And why is eBay Cafe also Town Square?

And what is it?

FWIW- When I drop in here, way more often than I should since I have no life, I just hit Community and everything shows up.

Am I alone in that?

Perhaps we do need the Buyer Questions and Problems to encourage those who are strangers here or feel a little nervous.

@reallynicestamps - I think I want to make a larger board just called 'Payments', rather than a few different ones by payment method, but this is a good callout. 

The Cafe > Town Square terminology is 'legacy', meaning it was around far before I was here. The intent is for it to be an off-topic area: social connection, stories, etc. Does it sound too clinical if we call it 'eBay Off Topic' or 'Member Connect and Share'? 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 14 of 24
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Hi Tyler, 
The announcements are aimed at sellers so  you might want to keep the term sellers news on the main page but clean up the announcement page just like you’ve indicated.   Or, if you are going to rename it announcements do we even need it to link it to a menu page?  I think that when we used to click on announcements it took us directly to the announcement page,,,there was no extra link to click on. 

The categories that are being deleted looks good!  

Rather than check the different boards,I usually just go to the home page and read the ‘latest discussions’. Hopefully we will still be able to do that. It looks like we will be able to but like the others, my French isn’t that great so I can only judge the eBay France page on looks, not on what it says.  The layout on that page does look good though!

@pjcdn2005 - I've been toying with that, I would prefer for Announcements to be a single click rather than an unnecessary hover>Click. From what I can tell I can make it a single click but it will always put it on the far right of the screen which I don't love. I prefer to have it on the far left and prominent for a few reasons (it ends up being the first place you look, that's where it's been for years so there's 'place memory'). 

The 'most recent activity' will still be present, but as it is now it will be a shorter list before you hit 'load more' again. I'm told we can adjust that to display more, but I don't have my hands on it quite yet to play around with. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 15 of 24
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

tyler@ebay 

Re: Hmm-- maybe a specific Board for "Scams and Warnings". Put it out there that eBay recognizes that not everyone here is one of the Good Guys and is ready to help and advise.

Make it private and your on the right track. so many things users have seen that shouldn't be public.

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

tyler@ebay 

Re: Hmm-- maybe a specific Board for "Scams and Warnings". Put it out there that eBay recognizes that not everyone here is one of the Good Guys and is ready to help and advise.

Make it private and your on the right track. so many things users have seen that shouldn't be public.

Hi @Anonymous - I'd prefer not to create a board or place detailing things like that, specifically for the reasons you mention. 

I'd be open to making a 'best practices' or 'Common Scenarios and How-tos' segment where we can post things like best ways to protect yourself as a new member on eBay, etc. I'd also prefer to keep as much content public as possible.

What do you think?

Tyler,
eBay
Message 17 of 24
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
tyler@ebay defiantly would be of an asset. It would add more structure rather then searching via the search tool and ending up in the wrong discussion.
Message 18 of 24
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Working off of your input I've made some adjustments to the screenshots!

Renaming the larger Category from 'Announcements' to 'News and Updates', then also adding a field for Seller Updates as well.Renaming the larger Category from 'Announcements' to 'News and Updates', then also adding a field for Seller Updates as well.Renaming the 'cafe' board to be something a little more explicative of what you can expect to findRenaming the 'cafe' board to be something a little more explicative of what you can expect to findThis is just a cleaned up proposal image, removing the Q&A boards we have there nowThis is just a cleaned up proposal image, removing the Q&A boards we have there now

Tyler,
eBay
Message 19 of 24
latest reply

I'm pretty new here and but the suggested deletions look solid. 

One thing, if I had not read in the thread what "Connect and Share" was about I would not have a clue.  It sounds like some kind of corporate, government or biz to biz section and as a newbie I would never guess that it is an off topic social area .   I think the header should be more on point and descriptive and  not leave you wondering.  Maybe blunt like   Off Topic Socializing.  I am not great with names but you get the idea.

Message 20 of 24
latest reply