Is there any way to go back to using PayPal to manage payments?

I just received an e-mail about eBay managing my payments, and I figured it was required so I went through the whole thing, added my bank account, etc.  Now, all of my payments will be handled directly from eBay to my bank account.

The problem is, I am going to be going from getting my money INSTANTLY (through Paypal's direct-to-bank transfer) to waiting potentially a week or longer to receive my money after being paid?!  This is honestly outrageous.  I value being able to receive my money instantly as I have for years.  I simply cannot believe that eBay considers this an improvement.  It's an improvement for their bottom line I am sure, but definitely not for the seller.  This is extremely disappointing.

If there is a way for me to revert back to using PayPal for receiving funds, PLEASE let me know.

Message 1 of 110
latest reply
109 REPLIES 109

Re: Is there any way to go back to using PayPal to manage payments?

No

Message 2 of 110
latest reply

I hate it, but thank you.
Message 3 of 110
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

For what it's worth, my understanding from the .com discussion boards is that sellers are/were able to "instantly" receive PayPal payments because PayPal advances the amount to the seller when the payment source or back up is a credit card.  eChecks (bank transfers) without credit card backup still take several days to clear.

Keep in mind that PayPal started out as a US-only service and gradually expanded to other countries, making the occasional misstep along the way.  (Remember when PayPal could direct a payment directly to the receiver's credit card account before VISA and MasterCard shut that option down?)  Adyen has taken over all the territories served by PayPal from the get go, a pretty significant undertaking when you consider the complexities of international banking.  I suspect that eventually we'll get nice little perks like instant transfers and being able to have our US dollar payments sent to our own US dollar accounts on US soil, but it's going to take time, and COVID isn't exactly helping.

Message 4 of 110
latest reply

paxm89
Community Member

Just got caught with this too. I pulled all my items from eBay. This is ridiculous. Done with eBay and not giving them access to my bank account.

Message 5 of 110
latest reply

That seems hasty, especially considering than eBay was one of the last large venues to drop PP as a payment processor for sellers.

Buyers can still use it and Managed Payments adds ApplePay and GooglePay for buyers.

I was invited last summer and have been holding out.

The possibly slower funds transfer, I'm told comes down to a choice of a daily or a weekly transfer.

We can't build up a balance as we do with PP.

• This was useful for buying on eBay and elsewhere. Seems dumb to make it impossible to buy on eBay with money earned on eBay.
  • The main reason I had for building a balance was to have enough to pay my monthly eBay fees. These are now being taken immediately from the customer's payment making the balance unnecessary.

I am still very annoyed about only being paid in Canadian dollars when like most Canadian sellers, I earn most of my money from US buyers on dot COM and in US dollars.

I am annoyed that our family PP account which has several personal bank accounts attached, would only have one allowed under Managed Payments.

I've been holding out since summer, with a red warning that I should update my banking information.

So I have learned an invitation need not be accepted.

A request can be refused.

Question authority.

Message 6 of 110
latest reply

My understanding is that one you go to MP you cannot go back.

I will list my Pro's and Cons from my experience so far.

Pros:

- fees are taken from the sales as you make them.

- no separate PayPal fees.

- refunds are taken from your pending funds.

Cons:

- I have setup for Daily transfers, sometimes they take a day from the time of sale, sometimes longer up to 3 days.

- There is no easy way to pay for Shippo or PayPal shipping labels as neither can use your MP account for payment. The eBay.ca label platform is not very good, its is limited and buggy and does not give discounts past Canada Post level 1 because it does not use the sellers CP account to purchase labels.

Your mileage may vary!

Message 7 of 110
latest reply

"

We can't build up a balance as we do with PP.

• This was useful for buying on eBay and  elsewhere. Seems dumb to make it impossible to buy on eBay with money earned on eBay."

A friend buys and sells junk store items and used to spend nearly all if it on eBay. No more since MP transfers it to her bank account wheel it then becomes "real Money" in her mind.

Message 8 of 110
latest reply

"There is no easy way to pay for Shippo or PayPal shipping labels as neither can use your MP account for payment. The eBay.ca label platform is not very good, its is limited and buggy and does not give discounts past Canada Post level 1 because it does not use the sellers CP account to purchase labels."

I personally haven't had any issues paying for Shippo under MP. But I have always used my credit card for cash back and because using a credit card makes accounting for me a lot easier.

Message 9 of 110
latest reply

@paxm89 wrote:

Just got caught with this too. I pulled all my items from eBay. This is ridiculous. Done with eBay and not giving them access to my bank account.

Did you give PayPal your bank info?

Did you have a PayPal account during the 13 years that PayPal was 100% owned and operated by eBay?

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 10 of 110
latest reply

Will this become mandatory? Sales are awfully slow here compared to other venues and this basically means an increase in their fees (even though the email said *most sellers will pay the same or less than before ... I guess the keyword here is "most" and it's funny how the "others" are basically told they will pay more lol)

I currently pay 10% on sales, plus whatever PP takes.

Now with this :

* 12.35% on the sale

* 30 cents extra on the sale (that's 3% on a $10 sale)

* 3% extra for fund exchange (Can this be paid by the buyer or we're left with the bill here? I doubt eBay will alienate buyers with a transfer fee, they will happily take their US $ and charge US to get this in CAD so they can deposit at a fee of an extra "mandatory" 3%)

* A new "international fee" (whatever that is) of 0.4% when you sell to the US, 1% elsewhere.

* And to top it off, a flat $20 "dispute fee" if someone initiates a chargeback on your transaction.

So ... who is "that" guy who will pay less on this system? lol

If you're selling a $10 widget, and hopefully you don't get a chargeback, you're looking at 19.35% fees ... 

Get a chargeback and you owe money to eBay on top of being out of your item from the fraud of the buyer eBay won't have screened first.

So, is this gonna be mandatory down the line?

Message 11 of 110
latest reply

Sounds to me like you never had a close look at what you are paying via PayPal.

The bottom line total of fees under Managed Payments is the same, a tiny bit lower or a tiny bit higher than PayPal.

The 30 cents, PayPal has the same fee

USD to CAD exchange, PayPal has the same fee

The International fee, PayPal has the same fee

$20 dispute fee for credit card chargebacks, PayPal has the same fee

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 12 of 110
latest reply

I must have a "magical" Paypal account, because I never pay more than 4.5% fee on my transactions ... with the 10% ebay charges I never top 15% fees.

Now? 19.35%

Glad those paypal fees are at least out of the way ... 

Of course, Paypal had multiple advantages over this "in house" payment system, but wow I'm glad to get rid of those too lol

You're serious there?

Oh well ...

Message 13 of 110
latest reply

Cons:

- I have setup for Daily transfers, sometimes they take a day from the time of sale, sometimes longer up to 3 days.

To be fair, PP also takes time between transfer and arrival.  I've never looked to see how long, but they note that there may be a delay, particularly for non-US accounts.

My USD payments go to my US bank almost immediately when I initiate the transfer.

Message 14 of 110
latest reply

What I'm not sure I understand is how MP is more expensive?

All those fees you mention PP had as well? Sometimes even higher. For example PP exchange fee is 4% and it's 3% on MP. International fee on MP to USA is 0.4% and was 0.8% to USA on PP?

For what I can tell for that example you gave for $10 sale it would be the same on PP?

Message 15 of 110
latest reply

You say refunds are taken from your pending balance with managed payments. Can you tell me if sellers are stuck with the payment fee? How long does the refund take if pending funds aren't available?

I've had soooo many issues with buyer refund requests, and it causes two issues:

1. I have to pay the PayPal fee because the buyer changed their mind. This is starting to get very, very costly!

2. The refund takes a week - because their fee isn't in my PayPal account (unless I already had a balance, which I usually don't). Then the buyer gets ticked off. Ticked off buyers might want to leave a negative feedback.

I'm not super fussed about back account transfers - I'd probably do daily.

I like having ebay fees charged a month behind...
Message 16 of 110
latest reply

Just because a seller has their banking info with Paypal doesn't mean they want to put it out there again, whether ebay owns PP or not. I believe in limiting the number of places that sort of information is entered. I buy a tremendous amount online and Paypal is my preferred method of payment - I will seek out sites that allow me to use it. For the few places I buy from where I have to use a credit card I NEVER 'save' the payment information for the same reasons. And lastly, I don't like having my hand forced. Offer me another service, sell me on it, convince me, then give me the option. Tell me it's this way or the highway and I'll take the highway every time. It has been fun though 🙂
Message 17 of 110
latest reply

My experience is the refunds happen very quickly, within a few minutes. However I cannot say about the fee reversal. I believe some of those fees are not reversed.

Message 18 of 110
latest reply

@ut.babe wrote:
 I buy a tremendous amount online and Paypal is my preferred method of payment - I will seek out sites that allow me to use it.

I don't see the problem, PayPal will continue to be accepted by all sellers on eBay (with the same few exceptions that have always been in place).

Message 19 of 110
latest reply

@paxm89 wrote:

... not giving them access to my bank account.

You could just get a no-monthly-fee bank account for ebay use.

Some Canadian examples:

simplii.com (was PCFinancial, now owned by CIBC)

Tangerine.ca (was ING Direct, now owned by Scotiabank)

Motusbank.ca (owned by Meridian Credit Union)

-..-

Message 20 of 110
latest reply