It appears I cannot sign out of eBay...

For those that acutally sign out, it is not currently working (for me at least) on either site , .COM or .CA.

If I click on "Sign out" this is what I get (it's the "sign in" screen I believe) and it does not sign me out.....

ricarmic_0-1651190648167.png

Not sure if anyone else has noticed or not.....

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Are you sure you are not signed out by the time you see that screen.

I rarely sign out anymore having switched to multiple browsers so I can be logged in under more than one at the same time. When you do a sign out you should return to the page you were on BUT if the page you were on is "sensitive" eBay would want you to sign in again.

What page are you on when you sign out?

Have you tried signing out from the home page or from a search page or just browsing general listings?

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Hi @recped yep I can do everything, it is like I never tried to sign out.

I noticed because I signed out because I was out for the afternoon and when I came back on I didn't have to sign on to do anything so I did some experiments to see if I could actually sign out....and I can't... on either site.

I'm signing out from the "Hi USERNAME" dropdown that has "Account Settings" and "Sign out" as its only two options.

As far as I know that's the only place there is a "signout" option? It is on the banner for any screen I'm in in eBay, I'm not aware of any other place to find a "sign out" but I've never looked either....

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

I am currently signed out of one of my accounts... and ebay will NOT let me sign back in!!!

When you try to sign in and submit your account name, the capcha program starts and you click "I am not a robot", then it immediately takes you to a "Oop, that's not a match".

It doesn't even allow me to submit my password, so yeah... that's definitely NOT A MATCH!!!

Ebay is telling me that it is a known bug that they are working on fixing.
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Strange, I sign on and out a lot and I just got an email from eBay (not spam) telling me that I had recently signed on (I did) and if not me, I should change my password. Never had that email before, at least not from eBay. Wonder if they are experimenting with security changes?

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@msmaggie060 wrote:

Wonder if they are experimenting with security changes?

@ricarmic 

Seems likely!

I just tried as well to sign out.....didn't work

OK, decided to try a few things.........

I went to Site Preferences looking to see if I could find the setting for "keep me logged in", didn't see it but at the bottom of the page there was this banner notice:

recped_0-1651198772244.png

I clicked the link and was prompted to log in (your settings pages are definitely "sensitive"). Once logged in I was directed to the settings page were you can hunt around for sign-in preferences. I unchecked "keep me signed in on this device" (you can also see a list of "trusted devices").

After unchecking keep me signed in I was able to go to the home page, sign out and was definitly actually signed out as I was prompted to sign in again via the usual link:

recped_1-1651199006670.png

I have come to a few conclusions

1 - eBay finally fixed "keep me signed in" and it will now work as intended (except for the sensitive pages)

2 - eBay are making many changes to the security settings, on that page I was sent to I saw a lot of stuff I'm not familiar with. Not saying it wasn't there but I don't remember ever seeing them.

3 - NOTHING has changed, it's Thursday night maintenance and things are wonky as usual!

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

It happened to me recently to. It's because the cache is catching your previous login details and automatically looping you to log back in on that page.  It's a code bug that eBay will need to fix.

You can fix it temporarily by going to browser history and clear the cached stuff in there. It's different on each browser but same idea. You will lose all your logins if you do this so really consider it.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@recped

Re: 1 - eBay finally fixed "keep me signed in" and it will now work as intended (except for the sensitive pages)

My understanding of the definition of "keep me signed in" has been that it means it does not let your ID time out after some period of unuse like would happen otherwise. 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

what  happens when you click the little 'switch account' link below the 'Welcome' on the sign in page?  If you click that it may give you the option of signing into another account and log you out of your current account.

I have sort of the opposite problem.  I haven't been prompted to sign in for days.  Usually every day i have to re-sign in, even though i have always chosen to keep me signed in, i have ro re-sign in every 24 hours or so.  It's been that way for as long as i can remember; a security feature i assume.   But it's been days since i've been prompted to do so.  Not that i really care, but it does show something is wrong with the sign in system.

All this doesn't give me a lot of confidence that Ebay isn't a hacker's paradise.......with lots of personal and banking info ripe for the plucking.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I finally got some time to test again tonight and the signout is working again!

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Kill your eBay tab. Open a fresh tab. That is the only thing that has been working for me. 

...and get used to seeing a lot of "boats" and "buses" until this is fixed.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply