Item sent to USA being returned to me, I live in Canada. Help?

Ok so I sent out a package to the states, turns out its the wrong address and according to USPS and Canada Post, it's en route to me. 

I have a few questions, 
-I never marked the "return to sender at expense" or the "abandon" option, yet I called Canada Post and they said if a return address is clearly there on the box, it will return to me. Is that true?
-Will the tracking update as it comes back to me? I've been getting mixed answers from both sides.
-It took approximately 2 weeks to get there, will it take the same time to get to me? 

Extra note: I got in contact with someone who works at USPS and they sent me a picture of the scan, two of the addresses are clearly visible (mine and their's) so I guess I'm ok?? 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Yes, you should get it back but it often takes longer to come back than it did to get there.  I have no idea if tracking is updated.  I would 'guess' that it is.  

I have never been charged for the return shipping cost although I've heard that it can happen.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

i wouldn't mind getting charged for the return shipping, the buyer is willing to reimburse that.

just getting nervous now since the waiting game has begun on my end.
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

"i wouldn't mind getting charged for the return shipping,"

I once sent a package to Africa and it returned to me 2 months later because of a wrong address. 

It was sent by Small Packet-International and there was no Return at Senders Expense or Abandon option on the form.

You'll just pay the Postman when you receive the package at your door.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

The thing about tracking is that it protects the Seller against unwarranted Item Not Received claims.

Tracking it back to you is emotionally useful, but of no practical value.

If you are not home when the parcel is delivered, the carrier will leave a Notice telling you where and when it will arrive.

There is no mechanism to make the customer pay the return postage.

It's just another cost of doing business.

Not every sale will go smoothly.

If the cost of shipping plus the cost of the return postage is higher than the value of the item, you might decide not to pick up the parcel. It goes to the Dead Letter Office and eventually will be put into an auction with other unclaimed mail.

Ethically, you do owe the customer his purchase price back, since he never got the product.

Whether you return the original shipping cost is up to you. Who made the error on the address?

Message 5 of 5
latest reply