Just sold an item - I see tax has been collected (Texas) - How do I remit this??

I am an individual (not a store) based in Canada. Just sold an item (used, not new) to someone in Texas. 

I see a USD$40 charged (and payed by buyer) in the payment confirmation. 

How do I deal with this ?? 

It's the first time I get this (out of about 2 dozens of items sold to US buyers over 10 years).

I read that eBay have systems to remit for certains states...  But what about Texas?? 

I certainly don't want to mess with them.  And I see Avalara as an option with a subscription... But **bleep** I am not interested to open up an account there for one transaction every 5 years or so...  

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Just sold an item - I see tax has been collected (Texas) - How do I remit this??

You don't have to "deal with it" at all.

Look at the detail for the PayPal payment, you will see that the tax collected is an instant in/out transaction, it only "sits" in your PayPal account long enough for PayPal to collect their fee.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/taxes-import-charges?id=4121&st=12&pos=2&#sec...

eBay now collects Sales Tax for 39 US States (and Australia). Texas was added to the list October 1, 2019.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Just sold an item - I see tax has been collected (Texas) - How do I remit this??

You don't have to "deal with it" at all.

Look at the detail for the PayPal payment, you will see that the tax collected is an instant in/out transaction, it only "sits" in your PayPal account long enough for PayPal to collect their fee.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/taxes-import-charges?id=4121&st=12&pos=2&#sec...

eBay now collects Sales Tax for 39 US States (and Australia). Texas was added to the list October 1, 2019.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

But the BAD news is that Paypal will charge you their usual 3.4% fee for US transactions on the $40 ( ~$1.36)that passed through your PP account for a nano-second.

Nobody is happy about this.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Perfect! Thank you
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

And ... is that $40 equal to payable taxes? (which indeed would mean paying part of it once the commission taken) .... I’d assume it’s not higher as an informed buyer would jump on that....
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Paypal charges us a fee for processing paymentc,  of 30c plus 2.9-3.9% of the payment.

Since the Internet Sales Tax is passed through our invoice, PP includes the sales tax as part of the payment they processed.

We are only paying PP .

The 3.4% is because we pay more* to process US payments than we do for domestic (and less than overseas).

The $40 is paid by the buyer, and remitted by eBay to Texas. We don't touch a penny of it.

*FWIW we pay less for foreign payments than our US competitors who pay 4.4%.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

But the BAD news is that Paypal will charge you their usual 3.4% fee for US transactions on the $40 ( ~$1.36)that passed through your PP account for a nano-second.

\

. . . because PayPal's charges are based on the "transaction value" and the sales tax adds to the total transaction value.

(I know you know this; I'm just posting this in case anybody else new to this development is reading this thread.)

Message 7 of 7
latest reply