Long time eBay seller trying to scam me by filing brand new DVD Box sets, filing fake INAD claims

As stated in the header

Sold a brand new sealed DVD box set, Gimme a Break. The buyer happens to be an active seller of media and has over 14,000 reviews. 

Transaction was a month ago, didn't hear a word until out of the blue get an INAD claim from eBay.

Contacted buyer immediately, asking the issue? Seems odd that an experienced seller wouldn't even bother to contact me and go straight to an INAD claim.

Buyer sent me pics of heavily scratched CD's, claiming that the new box set I sent him must have been "re-sealed".

He's also trying to get me to send him a replacement set, but wants me to open the brand new sealed set first, play them to make sure they are fine, then mail them to him. To me, this strikes me as the scammer trying to scam be twice. The buyer has over 14,000 reviews on eBay, so I feel that they are trying to take advantage by abusing eBay's money back guarantee. Strange behaviour for a seller with $200 used CD listings, but perhaps the whole interaction lends some insight into how the obtained their inventory in the first place?

Is there anything I can do here? Or just report the seller and move on?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Long time eBay seller trying to scam me by filing brand new DVD Box sets, filing fake INAD claim

Have you accepted the return yet? If not you probably want to get on that.  I wouldn't ship out any replacements, just good money after bad at that point.  Also, you're the seller in this situation....

Ian

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Re: Long time eBay seller trying to scam me by filing brand new DVD Box sets, filing fake INAD claim

@newlook87 wrote:

Seems odd that an experienced seller wouldn't even bother to contact me and go straight to an INAD claim.

Why "odd"? Opening an NAD return request IS the proper way to do this. If they contacted you first then your instructions would (or should) be to open a return request.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Sometimes media looks new and really is resealed. The worst are discs that came from Blockbuster (fortunately those are becoming pretty rare). Their reseals look factory but the discs are often in terrible condition. If the Blockbuster sticker on the shrink wrap was removed, it's almost impossible to tell.  I've been lucky so far as a seller, but I'm sure eventually one will get through. 

Whether or not he's trying to scam you, who knows? He may have swapped out his bad copy with yours, or he may be a dropshipper and got a return request on it himself. I wouldn't send him a replacement though. Accept the return (either write it off or send a label, especially if you think he may not actually have the discs to be able to return them) and block him.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Accept return and provide a return label. Once returned contact ebay and report an item swap attempt (or used item returned, exploit of money back guarantee). See what they say before any refund. By the rules you are not forced to fully refund if your item is returned in different condition than delivered. Which is the case. The fact the INAD took one month to be opened may help, as it proves the buyer had time to use or damage the item.

There is a risk to be out item plus return shipping but this what i would do. No replacement send here. This is a suspicious case. 

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Good advice, but I realized that the buyer was outside the money back guarantee window. My only obligation was to demonstrate proof of an attempt to resolve, which I did. I was then encouraged to file a report on the buyer, which I also did. Was able to deny the return and close it

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I don't think so. I have sealed cases of this product and lots of sealed media. 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

If you read my post, you would see that I said they went straight to INAD claim long after purchase, without contacting me first. Sorry, that's a terrible way to handle the issue, especially from a seller with over 14,000 reviews.

The generally accepted way to handle the situation is to contact the seller first. 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Yes, I'm aware I'm the seller in this situation. I was able to close the return claim and encouraged to file a complaint against the buyer - see above

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

I'm going by your description of the situation so I am assuming this isn't just a normal scenario where an item you shipped arrived damaged and the buyer is open to a return/replacement because they do not want a damaged item. I'm assuming that the buyer is being unreasonable based on the strength of eBay's buyer protection program, and you're asking for advice on what the most pragmatic way to handle it is.  I don't think it makes any sense to spend hours testing a single DVD set for one single buyer. 

-Be polite and professional.

-Instruct the buyer to open a return.

-If they do, provide a label.

-Block the buyer and report the buyer if you believe they abused the buyer protection.

-Re-list the returned item as pre-owned if sellable.

-If they do not follow through with a return, you're fine.

QC varies from different studios and pressing plants, it isn't outlandish for a sealed DVD to have some incidental light scratches. Also, discs can come loose in shipping and get scratched in the case because you cannot put bubble wrap inside a sealed case. So it is possible that the DVD was damaged. 

I don't have any of the info between you and the buyer so I am going off the assumption that they are being unreasonable and whatever complaints the have about the condition are overblown. If the item was heavily damaged, they would be in the right to ask for a return/replacement but asking you to open and watch the DVD is too much.

As far as feedback goes, while feedback doesn't matter much, you might be able to get it removed if you provide a label and they don't follow through with the return. You may also be able to get it removed on the basis that they sell in the same category as you. Ultimately, if they leave you bad feedback just reply politely explaining that they claimed the item arrived damaged and you gladly offered to cover the costs of a return and provide a full refund. Replying to feedback is more to market to other people that you're reasonable, it's not to win an argument with the buyer. What you should be worried about is the defect from eBay, not the feedback. In order to avoid the defect once a return is opened, you have to provide a return label and refund, or a full or partial refund without a return.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

What basis did eBay close the return for you?

It's very rare for them to just close an INAD return without a refund. Was it because the person sells in the same category as you do?

If the CSR closed the case, this person probably does this a lot. You should probably report the buyer. A big problem is that people in this situations usually don't report the buyer, and it takes multiple reports before eBay removes someone from Buyer Protection or deletes their account. 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

dunno what this set was, but having done this for awhile, its fairly common for 'brand new' dvd sets to be reseal jobs where the discs are in fact pretty wacked up, especially when the set is not really 'brand new; but 'brand new old stock'.    Judging by the story Im hearing here, his story is more than just plausible, it does happen - some of these reseal jobs are pretty good.  In fact, I opened up one a couple days ago that had a security seal intact and looking at it, theres no way that disc hadnt been touched before.  

Asking you to open another copy of the same set to see if they are banged up, no, hes gunshy and doesnt want to get hosed twice.  He probably thinks you've bought some reseal jobs and may have more than one copy.   If it was me, Id likely be opening that other copy up to see if I got hosed into buying a reseal copy by mistake and (errantly) listing it as brand new.  

Message 12 of 12
latest reply