Manage Payments for Canadian sellers registered on .com

I currently have an account that is registered on .com eventhough i am a canadian seller. Since switching to managed payments, ebay is not able to verifiy my business documents because they are not USA documents, they are Canadian.  I've spoken to multiple reps, all of which have told me i will have to close my USA account and reopen a new store on .ca....losing all of my listings, feedback etc.... 

Has anyone successfully navigated this issue without having to strat from scratch?? 

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: Manage Payments for Canadian sellers registered on .com

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thanks for your patience as I waited to hear back on this @nosejewels!

If your registration address wasn't reflective of your actual business location (US address instead of your Canadian one) there is not a way to correct that once you have begin registering to have your payments managed by eBay. The only option would be to open a new account with the correct info. 

I'm sorry that this has brought your selling to a halt, and I wish I had better news to share with you on this, but at this point if you want to continue selling on eBay you will need to look at opening a new account and creating your listings again. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 21 of 36
latest reply

Thank you tyler@ebay ... Yes this is the same information I have been given sadly.   I am going to go through the legal department and take legal action in this case - I have the mailing address that I am writing to, is there also an email or contact number for a person I can call instead of waiting for the mail to arrive?

Shelly

Message 22 of 36
latest reply

@nosejewels - I'm not in a position to answer or address any legal concerns I'm afraid, other than being required to provide the following:

If you want to contact eBay with legal concerns, I'll have to direct you to our site's User Agreement so you can get more information about this. The User Agreement is essentially a member's contract with us, and it addresses any questions you may have about our liabilities and arbitration. To access eBay's User Agreement go to www.ebay.ca and scroll to the very bottom of the page to access these links:

Tyler,
eBay
Message 23 of 36
latest reply

I don't know if it would be helpful, but the Royal Bank of Canada has a subsidiary in the USA called RBCBank with is a registered US bank.

And TDCanadaTrust has a similar bank, TDNorth.

Mostly these are set up for snowbirds, but your local RBC or TD branch may be able to help you set up an account.

As eBay Canada registered sellers, we no longer have a use for ours , but they are helpful for other parts of our business.

Message 24 of 36
latest reply

Other possibilities include BMO Harris and Desjardins Bank NA, based in Florida.
Message 25 of 36
latest reply

HI I just wanted to find out if you have any solution to this issue. Same ship different wave i was able to use managed shipments untill last week when my whole world has spiralled off its axis. I have set up a new account but im still keeping hope to find a legal solution to get back to selling from my US account with all my feedback and customer base. All the rest is the same as your situation im reporting my income and have docs etc to prove it however the system will not let me go without the ITIN. I have a few questions if you could help How has your transition been ? Anytips on how to try and direct the old customer base to your new one? Is there anything that i can request to eBay to atleast let the system ease up on me, ive been at this for 5 days 3 sales only?

I know your feedback volume is higher then mine, i sincerely feel for you. My world feels like it just ended and there is nothing i can do about it! IT seems like everything i worked for over 12 years means nothing! Calling ebay has no use, ive had some people who can communicate and can understand but its like ground hog day everytime i call new person and have to start from scratch. some i cannot decipher a word of what they are saying!

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Message 26 of 36
latest reply

however the system will not let me go without the ITIN.

Apparently there is no way to use a (false?) US address to set up a dotCOM account anymore and sell.

The ITIN is mandatory perhaps because the IRS has told payment processors (Paypal, Managed Payments, Square)  to report all accounts that received over $600 gross annually.

Until this year it was $20,000.

Not that the $600 earners will necessarily pay taxes, but he has to report it as part of his income.

everytime i call

Don't call.

The phone reps are subcontractors in Utah who basicallyhave a quota to fill and want you off the phone so they can have  bathroom break.

Use FaceBook or Twitter or ask that you be contacted through Chat.

These are all written communications with actual eBay employees, who are well trained and have some authority.

https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851

Bonus-- you get a written transcript, so you can compare what you were told with what you think you were told.

And they won't have  problem with your accent.

Message 27 of 36
latest reply

thank you for responding. First off am i in violation of any rules as this is @nosejewels post. Not trying to make this about me. I pay taxes on every dollar of revenue on eBay and other incomes. Ive been doing this since 2004 and even longer offline.  Now i know i should not be asking for tax advice on a web forum for ebay. But can anyone reccomend or is there any affiliated accounting firms that understand our business and knows the rules, i dont mind paying a little tax to the IRS why not pitch in im trying to earn there! 

Is there any hope that there will be some update to legislation to accomodate foreign dropshippers? as @nosejewels said there is The W-8BEN is an IRS mandated form to collect correct Nonresident Alien (NRA) taxpayer information for individuals for reporting purposes and to document their status for tax reporting purpose.

Weve had to layoff our guy due to this he has family to feed too SMH! This is a stupid way to die!  (END VENT)

Also do i need to start a new thread to ask about how to get my old store to link to my new store. I noticed some sellers if you go to their feedback and click through on the item numbers from any single ratings it finds the new listing using a variable in the url called "oid" is this achieved by sell simmillar. Further to that when i click on sell simmillar its not letting me add a size variation. If i made my own maybe call it "available size" or "pick your size" and add them in that way will it appear any different in search results as people can sort by size in clothing shoes and accessories category?

Is it a policy violation to reply to feedback on my old account posting the store link to my new account ?

Im starting from scratch on my new account ZERO FB this make me feel like im falling and i cant get up, to add insult to injury im getting positive feedback on my old account day by day it feels like the devils fork in my chest and then slowly someone hitting with a hammer every 24 hours.  

HELP ME PLEASE!

Sincerely, 

RJ

Message 28 of 36
latest reply

tyler@ebay   has explained that setting up Managed Payments for a seller who has a dotCOM registered account needs a time machine.

Basically, the seller has to change his address to the Canadian one BEFORE attempting to register for Managed Payments.

BEFORE.

If you hold a dotCOM account, and only learn of the tax problems when you try to set up a Managed Payments account, it's too late.

Set up your dotCA account immediately and register for Managed Payments.

That's it.

One choice.

I suspect enough offshore sellers are being faced with this that eBay is working on a solution. In the meantime, start relisting on your new Canadian account and closing your dotCOM listings.

They will go to your Unsolds for 60-90 days.

If you have hopes that eBay will solve the problem, soon you could do the "midnight flit" opening all those closed and held listings on the dotCOM account for a few minutes at some unlikely hour, then closing them again.

While typing this I had an idea for eBay's programmers.

How about a routine that will forward any view/watch/order of those foreigner -run dotCOM accounts to the new non-US account (which does have Managed Payments)?

Would that get around the problem until the original problem (being unable to change a dotCOM account to a dotCA account) is solved?

Or how about a NOTICE for every reactivated dotCOM account telling non-residents that they cannot open an MP account unless they have their non-US address on the account?

Message 29 of 36
latest reply

Hi RJ, 

I feel your pain... I just called ebay today about our new account as our new account is suspended (apparantely routine for new accounts to suspend them to check up to make sure you are doing things right.) When I called, they said "i see you've been with ebay for 19 days, welcome to ebay" It seriously sent me into another dimension....try 19 years.

We have signed up with a new account, and were able to transfer all of our old listings from our old account to the new one, using Ink Frog.  It doesn't redirect them...but thankfully a lot of our customers have already found us on our new account because they recognize our pictures. We also created a very similar username just with a number added to the end....

I can't comment to the info you need about the tax information... It should be possible with the W8 form... I have no idea why ebay rolled this out without first checking into everything.

Good luck!

Message 30 of 36
latest reply

Hi tyler@ebay 

We created a new account, nosejewels3, after being told there was nothing they could do on our nosejewels account to verify our documents for manage payments.  This was a recommendation of many reps.

I sold on the new account for a couple weeks, and was then restricted.

The new account was then suspended, and I received a message from trust and safety after supplying all documents, which said the only option I have is to sell on the original nosejewels account.  This isn't something we have access to doing because of the inability to verify our documents, I've already been told this numerous times.

Our UK/Ireland was below standard for this last period on our nosejewels account, because of issues with less than 10 orders out of the ones we shipped there.  on my nosejewels account it says, "You can continue to sell as you always have. We won't make any changes to your selling account this cycle so that you can focus on improving your performance." ...  but of course I can't continue selling on that account...and can't sell on the new one, because of this issue on the old one! 

Help...is there anyone else that I can contact?

We have been a partner with ebay for 19 years, and now all these reps i'm talking with are saying that it's the end of the road.

This all seems so absurd.

I have 55,000 positive feedback, concierge services, I'm above standard everywhere else....

We are falling through the cracks.

I appreciate your help!

Shelly

Message 31 of 36
latest reply

What sort of problem is eBay.ca having with the documents you submitted?  Do any of them have American information associated with them?

Message 32 of 36
latest reply

@marnotom!  no that's the problem I'm afraid. Our physical address has our US address, our Country of Registration shows Canada, Our primary business address shows our canadian address...but because the one address is stuck in the united states it doesn't match our Canadian business documents.  The simple fix would be to just change the address, but unfortunately it's greyed out and there is nothing ebay can do now that manage payments has taken over. (prior to manage payments they could change it without issue.) 

Message 33 of 36
latest reply

As I said above,  unless the US-registered seller has a time machine, moving the account to dotCA and Managed Payments is apparently impossible.

Message 34 of 36
latest reply

@nosejewels3 wrote:

@marnotom!  no that's the problem I'm afraid. Our physical address has our US address, our Country of Registration shows Canada, Our primary business address shows our canadian address...but because the one address is stuck in the united states it doesn't match our Canadian business documents.  

I don't understand what you mean by "our physical address has our US address" but I'm guessing you made a typo.  

If I wasn't very clear in my previous post, I'm wondering what sort of documentation you gave eBay.ca for your new account and if it had anything at all that was connected to the United States rather than Canada.

Message 35 of 36
latest reply

Hello!

Were you able to stay with ebay.com?

Message 36 of 36
latest reply