Managed Payments Chargeback - I was protected.

In January I was asked to respond to a payment dispute outside eBay from a purchase made late October.  I "submitted" the information that was already part of the sales record (shipping info and address).  Today the credit card company found in favour of the cardholder, however, I was protected.  I actually feel a bit bad for eBay.  It was a $34 purchase (including shipping in Canada) of 2 water filters by a letter-salad username with 0 feedback...  No one steals a credit card to buy $20 worth of water filters...  The buyer either still doesn't realize they bought something from eBay or the filters weren't correct and were outside return period...

Cost of doing business....

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I wouldn't feel sorry for them, eBay is simply using their "cookie jar insurance" to cover it......same as we have to do in other scenarios!

It is nice to see a "win" for the seller for a change!

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

The letter salad username was likely the ID the new member was issued when they signed up.

But I agree with the headcanon of a one off user not recognizing the purchase. 

The really good news is that the seller was protected by eBay and Managed Payments against a chargeback.

Apparently the successful method of dealing with these rampant Unknown Charge claims is to follow the instructions, even when they seem unnecessary.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@ichopshop wrote:

In January I was asked to respond to a payment dispute outside eBay from a purchase made late October. 

What exactly was the claim "Not recognized?", "Not Received?", "Not as described?"

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

my question is: Why were you protected?

I thought if a credit card issuer ruled in favour of a buyer the seller is out the money, no matter how much evidence they present.  Is proof of delivery enough to protect a seller against claims outside of Ebay? ie Ebay picks up the tab

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

If the dispute is for an item not received or an item not recognized and there is tracking showing delivery to the payment address eBay will protect you.  You just need to enter the tracking in the dispute.   An item not as described dispute is much harder to win.  More info...

https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/selling-policies/payment-dispute-seller-protections?id=5293&st=3&p...

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

that's great to know, thanks!

Message 7 of 7
latest reply