Managed Payments Killed my Shipping Discounts

I used to ship from Canada to the US through my PayPal account with NetParcel. A standard 9x7x1 bubble envelope cost me between 8-9 CAD and included tracking with up to $100 insurance. 

It is now $21 through NetParcel without going through PayPal. 

A few months ago eBay sent me an email saying new discounts were available directly through UPS. So I signed up with them. 

It is also $21. 

Sorry eBay, but no one is paying me $21 to ship a $25 trading card. And there is zero chance I send it PWE or through Canada Post without tracking, where it will be lost and I have to constantly manage my clients questions about where the package is. 

Twitter sales through PayPal it is for now on cards $50 and down. I will consider for above. 

I would encourage you to also reach out to netParcel and negotiate a deal with them for discounted shipping fees from Canada to the US - afterall, you are getting 14% of my sales. 

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Managed Payments Killed my Shipping Discounts

An useful screenshot: 

Image3.jpg

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

The solution is named ChitChats. A bubble mailer to the US is 5 - 5.50 CAD with full tracking. They have 2 drop spots in Edmonton. 

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

An useful screenshot: 

Image3.jpg

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

@38e_avenue  posted the best solution now given what has happened, which is rough.  

Chitchats can be linked to your ebay account so the information is pulled right into it, and as they bring it across the border and mail it as domestic the delivery is pretty quick.  You also do not need to fill in any separate customs items, as Chitchats pulls gets what it needs from the item description.  

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

Wow. Is it then handled by USPS, UPS or other? Great price!

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

Ok, this is amazing ty

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

For US shipments you buy domestic USPS postage, and they bring parcels across the border directly to USPS.  In that way it avoids the big Canada Post and USPS international processing centers and is very efficient.    They opened here recently and I have sent a half dozen shipments and delivery has been very fast.

You can also buy there insurance, which is reasonably priced and is optional.

I don't think the inside Canada discounts are that great but I have not explored that a lot. 

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

Cool, now I see that that ChitChat can be integreated with ebay. 

Here's my question: 

Has anyone tried to integrate on ebay.com, or can it only be integrated on ebay.ca. Meaning, if I sell on ebay.com, can i ship on that site or do I have to login to my ebay.ca (same login, same account) in order to use the ChitChat integation with ebay. 

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

I am registered on .ca and sell mainly on .com.  No issue pulling in sales from either .ca or .com.

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

awesome ty!

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

Chitchats is very responsive to emails as well if you any trouble getting setup.

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

ty! I am setup, and apparently linked. I have a sold item so hopefully when they pay I can give this a go. 

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

Nice!  WHen using a drop spot, I think you have to bundle it into a batch bag or box is there is more than 10 items. You will need to read up on that.    

When you import items in a batch number will be assigned.  No need for concern though.   

On thing I did see a couple of times is that real tracking and delivery time estimates will not show up until USPS scans it in a few days, so the buyer may be seeing a long estimated delivery date.  I had one person email me in a panic as the estimated time was 6 weeks so I emailed them that the real tracking is lagging a bit and to check on USPS in a few days.  The item got there in 6 business days.  

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

@byto253 wrote:

I don't think the inside Canada discounts are that great but I have not explored that a lot. 

They are. I recently compared a price of a parcel - Quebec-Manitoba. CP - 18 dollars, ChitChats - 14 dollars. Some of local shipments - 9 instead of 13, etc ....  

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

Anyone know if the CanadaPost Small Business Discount can be integrated into eBay as it it was with Paypal? and if so how to do it? I am not currently on Managaged Payments yet so I was wondering about this before I get switched over. I have built up a pretty decent discount with CP over the past 10 years and don't want to lose the discount.

Chit chats is not available in my city as far as I know.

Message 15 of 31
latest reply

@transtraders wrote:

Chit chats is not available in my city as far as I know.

It is. Here is the address of their drop spot: Maritime Bus Moncton Terminal Via Rail, 1240 MAIN STREET
MONCTON NB E1C 0E6, Phone: 506-854-2023, Mon-Fri: 10:00-18:00, Sat: 9:00-12:00. Their drop spots usually charge a fee - about 3-4 dollars for every visit. 

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

eBay shipping isn't integrated with the CP small business account.  It gives the level 1 discount but the postage you buy isn't added to your small business account.

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

ChitChats is the only reason I can remain competitive with US sellers for the US market. And it's FAST. Like REALLY fast. I'm in YVR and my shipments reach buyers as far as the East and South, and even PR within 5 days.

I can't say the same for my Canadian shipments, but I list all domestic shipping as "Economy" up to 15 business days. And sometimes it's taken that long. But paying $18 to ship a tiny 200g box from YVR-YYZ is ridiculous, when ChitChats can do it for $10.
Message 18 of 31
latest reply

@transtraders wrote:

Anyone know if the CanadaPost Small Business Discount can be integrated into eBay as it it was with Paypal? .... I have built up a pretty decent discount with CP over the past 10 years and don't want to lose the discount.

You can link eBay and Shippo (goshippo.com) for your Canada Post discount.

But it does have a learning curve to get it to run smoothly.

https://support.goshippo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003284703-Using-Shippo-for-eBay-Canada-Shipping

https://pages.ebay.ca/seller-centre/shipping-returns/shippo-labels.html

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

Thank you for that info! I have now linked my CP Discount to Shippo. 👍

Message 20 of 31
latest reply