Managed Payments MP for Sellers is HORRIBLE

I've been an Ebay seller for 22 years and i've seen them go from bad to worse over the last 10 years especially but this new Managed Payments system is 100% garbage and just another money grab by ebay... 

I sold a couple small items 6 days ago and the money is still in Ebay's grubby little hands and has NOT been transfered to my bank account at all! I contacted them and they said my account is set up perfectly for managed payments... SO WHERE IS MY MONEY Ebay!?1? 

Paypal was soooooooooooo much better because we had control of the money we work hard to early and payments were INSTANT! Their fee's were excellent compared to the crazy high Ebay fee's for sellers as well. Another advantage with using Paypal is that we could use our funds from sales to make purchases directly but not with Ebay.

Now Ebay wants complete control over our money and they aren't being shy about it at all so i cancelled the last 96 items i had on Ebay and i'm done doing any buisness with them!

Ebay has lost thousands of sellers every year for the last few years and now they went too far! Many of us now sell on Facebook Marketplace and groups ect... with zero fee's.

Message 1 of 77
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@eagle_eyes00 wrote:

Boycott eBay Due To Managed Payments! - The eBay Community

Seeing as you like doing homework on this sort of thing, I'm assuming you've noticed that the seller who started that thread back in February is still selling on eBay and using Managed Payments for their sales.

View solution in original post

Message 28 of 77
latest reply
76 REPLIES 76

Yep... I have a bunch of vintage titanium bicycle parts... yesterday i posted some that hadn't sold on ebay in months in a FB group for vintage bike parts and had $200 in sales in a matter of hours. Payments direct to my paypal. Was even able to offer the option for non-tracked shipping if people sent money via paypal gift. One fellow took me up on that to save $8.  Had a conversation with same buyer and he too has about given up on ebay and he too was complaining about the move to managed payments as well as our loss, years ago, of being able to give problematic buyers negative feedback.

Message 2 of 77
latest reply

I agree with much of what you say but not this statement.

Their fee's were excellent compared to the crazy high Ebay fee's for sellers as well.

Your fees have not changed or have gone down slightly.

Several times sellers with this complaint have had their numbers run by other sellers and that's the way of it.

What confuses most sellers seems to be more transparency.

EBay is showing (and taking) its fees from the payment up front, instead of as a lump sum once a month, which seems to be more expensive, but is often a tiny fraction lower. (I've seen 0.55% as the difference.)

Disputes are rare, but PP was refusing to refund its fees (both the 30c service fee and the percentage of the transaction).  MP only keeps the 30c service fee.

Another advantage with using Paypal is that we could use our funds from sales to make purchases directly but not with Ebay.

This was one of the stupidest changes.

I'm not much of a buyer myself, but pushing the member away from her profits means slightly lower sales for eBay. It also makes it harder for the seller to pay her monthly fees like Store subscriptions.

Message 3 of 77
latest reply

Did you select weekly or daily Payouts?

If it was weekly those are done on Tuesday.

By the way, if you run the actual numbers you will find the fees are barely any different, in some cases slightly higher and in others slightly lower.

eBay may have lost sellers but this year like every year for the past 25 years they have more sellers offering more listings at the end of the year then they had at the start.

If you can do as much business via facebook etc then go for it, just leaves more business for those that remain with eBay.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 77
latest reply

Sooo eBay's fee structure is bonkers now on my end. I'm a Canadian seller selling on .com, and they're taking VAT tax out...? **bleep** is going on.

The whole menu setup is an awful mess, whereas PayPal's was purposely VERY simple. eBay is trying to confuse purposely.

Message 5 of 77
latest reply

US buyers pay state tax if their address is in one of the states that requires taxation of all online purchases. Those taxes come into our accounts then flow back out as that is how the payment processors/providors handle it. Paypal is the same way.

Message 6 of 77
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

PayPal was pretty rough and ready when eBay acquired it in 2002.  A lot of what makes PayPal invaluable to eBay sellers are the tweaks and additions that were made to it when it was under eBay's umbrella.  eBay's transition to PayPal wasn't smooth sailing, either, but things improved.

I think it's helpful to take a historical, long view of this, as painful as things may be at the moment.  At least this changeover isn't happening in November-December when many sellers' business levels are at their peak for the year.  Adyen is likely having to build MP up from scratch.  I doubt that PayPal is sharing any secrets of its functionality or the differences between IT or banking systems from country to country.

Message 7 of 77
latest reply

VAT is a UK tax system. So is eBay referring to US tax as VAT in this case..? Never noticed this before, but they're also charging me an 'International Fee' since my listing is outside of the destination country. Nickel and diming, they are. Always truly painful to look at.

Message 8 of 77
latest reply

@hold.your.own.media wrote:

VAT is a UK tax system. So is eBay referring to US tax as VAT in this case..? Never noticed this before, but they're also charging me an 'International Fee' since my listing is outside of the destination country. Nickel and diming, they are. Always truly painful to look at.

"VAT" is actually a generic term that describes any sort of point of sale taxation on purchased goods (or services).  You'll see Canada is on this list:

https://www.uscib.org/value-added-tax-rates-vat-by-country/

PayPal also charges an international fee but it's more buried in their fee schedule.

Message 9 of 77
latest reply

They use the term interchangably. If you are a business seller you'll notice they refer to your VAT number as well. UK VAT is a value added tax, of which many countries have. We are just used to seeing it as sales tax in daily use.

The international fee was charged by paypal as well. It's part of the cross border fees when transactions between a buyer and seller are in different countries. With ebay the fees are just broken down more compared to be lumped together with paypal. What percentage are you being charged for your US sales to US customers for the international fee?

Message 10 of 77
latest reply

At first, I was also surprised to see that term until I realised VAT meant the Canadian taxe(s) charged on our eBay fees.

Message 11 of 77
latest reply

No you missed the point completely! 

Message 12 of 77
latest reply

DAILY and Ebay confimed that everything was set up the way it should be which is obviously BS 

Message 13 of 77
latest reply

I disagree! I've used Ebay and Paypal since nearly the beginning and rarely had problems plus we could decide what WE WANTED TO DO WITH OUR OWN MONEY!

Message 14 of 77
latest reply

My post is not about VAT or taxes so lets please stick to the subject or create your own posts concerning VAT

Message 15 of 77
latest reply

@eagle_eyes00 wrote:

My post is not about VAT or taxes so lets please stick to the subject or create your own posts concerning VAT

Only answering the question you asked.

Message 16 of 77
latest reply

@eagle_eyes00 wrote:

I disagree! I've used Ebay and Paypal since nearly the beginning and rarely had problems plus we could decide what WE WANTED TO DO WITH OUR OWN MONEY!

I note you say "nearly the beginning" and not "the beginning".  This is the beginning of Managed Payments.  When PayPal was first unleashed some sellers had all sorts of issues with it.  There was even a "PayPal SUCKS" website going for a while.

Besides, there have been some sellers reporting that they've had no major issues with Managed Payments since registering.  I think it would be rather uncharitable for them to disregard your concerns with Managed Payments just because it's been working for them.

Message 17 of 77
latest reply

You have 3 feedback .... really what are you doing on here giving advice??

Message 18 of 77
latest reply

Many members have multiple accounts.

I have seven myself and sell with four of them.

While I use selling accounts to post here, some sellers are more cautious and use a Posting ID  (there is one poster on dotCOM whose account is called "postingid" actually).

Here's one reason.

One of my IDs uses a female avatar and a feminine name which fits my product line. Another uses a male avatar. 
There is a noticeable difference between responses to my posts, especially from those who disagree with my position, depending on which account I use.

I find it amusing.

Message 19 of 77
latest reply

Learn to READ! My post is not about VAT or taxes at all! 

Message 20 of 77
latest reply