Managed Payments SIN Required

My funds are being held until I update my account details and was told I need to provide my SIN. I was reading and thought the field was optional and thought it was unlawful in Canada for a company to make your provide your SIN. I don't feel too comfortable providing it.

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

@steel145 wrote:

My funds are being held until I update my account details and was told I need to provide my SIN. I was reading and thought the field was optional and thought it was unlawful in Canada for a company to make your provide your SIN. I don't feel too comfortable providing it.

tyler@ebay 

Customer service needs to be properly instructed that Canadian SIN's  are  NOT a mandatory/required field for Canadian sellers. Once they get past that issue, resolving sellers problems with setting up MP should hopefully be a cakewalk. Fingers crossed.

-Lotz

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

Useful reminder, but I’m not sure if the OP was dealing with Customer Service.
Message 3 of 32
latest reply

I'm thinking CS, IM, MP Staff, Facebook & Twitter should all be aware of this(Sin numbers). When speaking to anyone with eBay about anything, after providing any required personal information the most important piece of information is "I am calling from Canada". And important reconfirm this tidbit with each agent you speak with. It tends to get lost in translation, eh!

-Lotz

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

I talked to ebay customer service on the phone and also chat and both times they said it's mandatory to provide the sin or they can't release the funds. So should I call them again to let them know sin's are not mandatory in canada and hopefully the person can bypass it for me? Here is what ths cs told me in the chat.

02:46:59 UTC Akibur
John, I would like to clarify that the optional thing you're mentioning here is that as a private seller, sellers can temporarily skip this step while registering for managed payments. However, sellers will need to provide this information before we can send you your payouts for items they’ve sold on eBay.
02:47:49 UTC Akibur
I would like to inform you that since eBay are now processing funds for our sellers, to comply with government regulations, we need this information from every seller before we can send you your payouts for items you’ve sold on eBay.
Message 5 of 32
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@steel145 wrote:

tyler@ebay 

Customer service needs to be properly instructed that Canadian SIN's  are  NOT a mandatory/required field for Canadian sellers. Once they get past that issue, resolving sellers problems with setting up MP should hopefully be a cakewalk. Fingers crossed.

-Lotz

Thanks for the tag @lotzofuniquegoodies!

@steel145  - You are not required to provide your SIN when onboarding into managed payments. You are able to skip the field. 

It's worth noting, however, that if you provide a gibberish response in the field it will more than likely cause an error when going through verification. This will lead to delays and the need to contact managed payments teammates for review and correction (which will take time). So please: just skip the field, do not input all zeros or random numbers. 

I will have your interactions with CS reviewed so appropriate action can be taken with the teammates involved. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 6 of 32
latest reply

It won’t let me skip the sin. It keeps saying to update my account details and cs informed me it’s cause of the blank sin field.

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

On the bright side, if you are not enrolled in MP , but have started the procedure, you can keep getting your payments through PP.

So there's that.

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

If I can't stay with Paypal then it's time to say goodbye to EBay.  I don't want any more organizations with their hooks in my bank account.  Paypal was good because it was fast, universal and disputes did get resolved.  

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

On the bright side, if you are not enrolled in MP , but have started the procedure, you can keep getting your payments through PP.

So there's that.

@steel145 

By the sounds of the first post the OP is stuck in MP we are holding your funds limbo until  a workaround solution is discovered. May the farce....ooopsie force be with them. And patience.

-Lotz

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

Why is the SIN field there anyway if it's not required?  That's not sitting right with me.

You only fail when you don't try!
Message 11 of 32
latest reply

The sign-up form is a modified version of the one on the US (.com) site, where a Social Security Number is a requirement for US users.

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

Oh ok.  So are we able to skip the field now?  Thanks!

You only fail when you don't try!
Message 13 of 32
latest reply

Read the post from tyler@ebay (message 6) carefully.

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

I was never asked for a SIN.

I never saw anywhere to enter a SIN.

There's an underlying issue.

Skip it.

Message 15 of 32
latest reply

Yeah, I have been trying to get a payment, being held by eBay, returned to the buyer but they insist I add a bank account, etc.  eBay can't handle giving a buyer back a tiny payment they have held and they want my personal banking details?  No thanks!  Have been trying now for over a week to get eBay to release the buyer's payment, but I can't share such key info with such an inept company.  Good luck, man - cheers!

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

Managed payments is driving my store
Into the ground, probably my last week on here and going to refund my pending orders as the funds are in cyberspace and no one can give me clear reasons as to why ($1,187) .....to unreliable and to much risk these days I miss selling on eBay in 2010 when it was actually possible to keep track of everything and know where my finances are at. To complicated, payments never get sent properly, charges conveniently still come out my bank when its going eBay it is just eBay seems to have major problems with reliability and consistency when it comes to sending sellers their earnings via
Managed payouts. I buy and sell items as do many people the main thing is what thinks we get all out inventory for free and ship for free and acts like it’s no big deal when something as serious as payouts system freezing on their end. Basically as soon as you ramp up your store just keep items small and cheap because eBay has a habit of making the big eBay hand from the sky come down and crush you as soon as your store starts doing ok. It’s an eBay thing.
Even now I’m being told it is an eBay system problem and my payout could take anywhere from 1-10 days!!! I asked if they could inform the curstomer as customers can be very my unreasonable and again no resolution.

I feel uncomfortable sending a $750 dollar item when the funds are in accounted for but if I refund the person they will leave me bad feedback but it is a lot of risk on investment for me.
Message 17 of 32
latest reply

Providing the SIN with Managed Payments registration is optional

The options include

--- Not providing the SIN

--- Providing the SIN

The new option may be a  requirement to provide the SIN

The SIN can be viewed as a Canada Revenue Agency requirement...  when eBay must report sales above a certain value to Canada Revenue Agency.

Could it be that the SIN is required if one sells more than a certain total each year.

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

Did you read this thread?

How about Tyler's post?

Message 19 of 32
latest reply

@mcrlmn wrote:

Did you read this thread?

How about Tyler's post?

As per the OP, CS is telling them it is a mandatory field causing their funds to be held so basically a rock and a hard place scenario. What really needs to happen is fix the application and make it relate to Canada. Not lazy cut and paste when things do not in Canadian reality apply.

-Lotz

Message 20 of 32
latest reply