Managed Payments - Won't accept U.S. bank account

I'm a Canadian resident with a U.S.-based bank account as I frequently work and travel to the United States.  I have no U.S. residential address.  I just tried to sign up for eBay Managed Payments and it will not let me add a U.S. bank account with a Canadian address.

Other payment providers (such as one that currently provides services to eBay sellers/buyers) have absolutely no issue with this, so long as the identity verification process is successfully completed.  Not sure why eBay Managed Payments can't do this.

Way to go, eBay!  You really screwed up on this one.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

They will accept a $US bank account but it has to be at a Canadian bank.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Yes, thanks.  But it makes no sense whatsoever that they won't accept a U.S. bank.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Managed Payments is a work in progress and a pretty new work at that.  I suspect that Adyen is proceeding very cautiously when adding new features and capabilities for Managed Payments.  Perhaps the US-bank-account-for-foreigners option will be available in the future when it figures out more about the business relationship between Canada and the United States.

PayPal made several missteps along the way as it tried to figure itself out.  (Remember that brief period when one could have their payments applied to their credit card account before the credit card companies told PayPal to cease and desist?)  This may have been acceptable for an internet startup in the late 1990s, but it's probably not so acceptable for a European-based eCommerce company that's already regarded as a bit stodgy by some.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

parts-commerce
Community Member

This whole change up is a fiasco. I to am stuck in this position. I even followed their setup and it's been 5 days and have of xxxx.xx dollars shown successfully deposited. This should not have been allowed to happen. I was perfectly happy with PayPal. It also has the best reputation to keep all transactions secure and private. They are once again fools for not renewing their PayPal contract. 

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

So this whole thing is the textbook definition of a sh** show.

I've been a registered eBay member for over 22 years.  Now I'm being threatend to have my listings taken down by tomorrow if I don't register for a payment service that actually won't let me register because of eBay's ridiculous new system.

It's been a good run, but unless eBay can fix this ASAP, it might be time to part ways.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

If you have a Canadian bank account, you can use that.

If you have a Canadian bank account in US dollars, you can use that.

You can't use a bank account that is not in the same country you are registered in.

And it took nearly a year for MP to allow Canadian registered sellers to use even Canadian banks in US dollars.

When eBay owned PP it was a major profit centre for them.

At a guess, renting PP's services was more expensive than renting from PP in the short run.

And eBay wanted to have that in-house payment processor as a profit centre for the future.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

At a guess, renting PP's services was more expensive than renting from PP in the short run.

Oops.

At a guess, renting PP's services was more expensive than renting from MP/Ayden in the short run.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@rammble wrote:

I've been a registered eBay member for over 22 years.  Now I'm being threatend to have my listings taken down by tomorrow if I don't register for a payment service that actually won't let me register because of eBay's ridiculous new system.

The way I see it, the alternative is to have the PayPal plug pulled on your listings and then you try to figure out how to get paid, which amounts to pretty much the same thing as having your listings taken down.  What are the problems you're having with registering?  There's lots of options out there for US dollar chequing accounts on Canadian soil.  You just need to see if the fee structure of those accounts works for you.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

The issue is that, because my eBay membership pre-dates the creation of eBay's Canadian site, I'm in some kind of purgatory.  I can't register for Managed Payments using my U.S. banking info because I'm no longer a U.S. resident and don't have a U.S. address associated with my bank account.  I opened a Canadian bank account in U.S. currency specifically for eBay Managed Payments, but it still won't let me register because my eBay user registration is on the U.S. site.

Long story short, eBay now has to change my "home site" to Canada but I've been told it's going to take at least a month to reset the Managed Payments registration.

As I said, this is a textbook case of how to **bleep** off long-standing customers.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

You are not the only one reporting this. And like you, these are long-standing sellers, predating the existance of dotCA.

@ricarmic   do you have any advice based on your experiences?

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

All I can advise is that at this moment:

-I also appear to be in purgatory

-I did somehow get my site registration changed to Canadian

-I still appear to be on the June 15th "countdown" on the .COM side, still getting emails and warnings when I list on any site

-If I try to register on .CA links I get told they're not ready for me yet and to wait for an email

-the last MP CSR did something to take me off the zapp my items process or something like that, I was not clear on what she did but she made note of something somewhere for me.

Tomorrow June 15h appears to be an important day for many of us. Despite what the CSRs assure me, I am very worried my GTC rollovers will stop working, that will bury me quickly in problems, even if it gets fixed as I have over 100 GTC items a day rolling over and almost 2,000 grandfathered items that require things like required specifics.

In my own experience, it might be fixed now, but for well over a week, if one says "managed payments" to the IVR, it plunks you into a queue that tells you you need to call back during business hours, no matter what time of day you call. The only way I've gotten on the phone MP help is to describe what I want (like site registration) and not say the word MP. The CSRs then move me over to the MP folks. The last CSR said she'd advise management of the IVR problem but I don't know if it is fixed as I haven't called back in yet.....

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

I'd also like to know what's going to happen to the $15 coupon they promised us if we registered by June 15th, when clearly their own system prevents us from doing so.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Mine was better it was 20% off my FVF.......

At this point I'd gladly trade that 20% discount to just magically appear in MP land with no problems......

I'm also glad I chose to remain on the expensive Anchor store to retain access to the "better" CSRs that appears to have saved me time and problems (maybe) so far.....

Message 14 of 14
latest reply