Managed Payments and partial refunds

Perhaps this is located somewhere on the help pages, but I looked around and couldn't find it?

I sent a partial refund of $8 due to shipping overpayment to a buyer who lives in my Province. Under Managed Payments I see the $8 refund but there was no reversal of the associated percentage of fees (it would be around 90 cents if my math is correct). Did I miss something or is eBay pocketing this difference now? This worked OK when using PP prior to using MP.

On the topic on the Managed Payments UI, can the Dev team please update the fee breakdown "Transaction Details" page to include the shipping cost? The fees are calculated using both, the "Order Total" is present, the item sale price is there, yes I can do the math but it would be nice to have the shipping cost listed too.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

marnotom!
Community Member

According to this help page, partial refunds are not eligible for fee credits:

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/fee-credits?id=4128

While you may have received fee credits in the past for PayPal-facilitated payments, I don't believe you received anything back from PayPal, so there's that to consider.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

This was a voluntary refund of an overestimated shipping fee?

With Paypal the advice for these voluntary partial refunds has been to allow for all your shipping costs before deciding on the amount of the refund.

Remember although the customer sees the fee as $5.47 , you also paid GST and a fuel surcharge. And you packaged the shipment -- bubblewrap is not free.

You may have been given a 5% discount by using your SfSB card, however that is not applied to all services.

And then you were charged 10% FVF on the shipping by eBay.

The buyer sees none of those expenses.

If you feel you overcharged, and want to make a partial refund, remember to adjust the apparent difference by the invisible costs of shipping.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

This was a voluntary refund of an overestimated shipping fee?

With Paypal the advice for these voluntary partial refunds has been to allow for all your shipping costs before deciding on the amount of the refund.

Remember although the customer sees the fee as $5.47 , you also paid GST and a fuel surcharge. And you packaged the shipment -- bubblewrap is not free.

You may have been given a 5% discount by using your SfSB card, however that is not applied to all services.

And then you were charged 10% FVF on the shipping by eBay.

The buyer sees none of those expenses.

If you feel you overcharged, and want to make a partial refund, remember to adjust the apparent difference by the invisible costs of shipping.

The reason for these partial refunds is because of something eBay has done. They have made it difficult in certain situations for sellers to send revised invoices or buyers to request them. If the revised invoice is received prior to payment a refund is not required. Going forward some sellers may choose to never give a refund  and possibly risking the chance of bad will between buyer and seller.

I specifically add a line in the majority of my listings, Please advise prior to payment if your interested in combined shipping. As many have noted, buyers maybe don't read the listing in its entirety. This does NOT stop them from still believing they are owed this refund. It's either that or maybe I only get those buyers from time to time that are part of the "olderish and cranky" set.  Apologies for stealing your line. innocent I include myself in that set and am getting extremely tired of finding a work around every time eBay makes what they call is an improvement to anything.

Your solution will work for sellers. The problem is, sellers should still be getting a refund on fees, be they a full refund or a partial. Now I guess we just need to get buyers to understand that eBay and a seller has all these darned fees or the better alternative, eBay/PayPal rethink this policy. Like Ross P was known to say....."Isn't gonnaaaaaa happen!!"

-Lotz

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

FVF's have never been refunded on partial refunds. PayPal did (maybe still do in Canada) give fee refunds on partials but stopped doing so about a year ago in the US.

It's true that long before the rollout in Canada of MP some of the hype surrounding MP inferred that refunds of fees of partials would happen. Once eBay decided to go with the "simplified" fees that has been clarified....NO refunds on partials.

Back in the day you could call eBay and beg, they would give you a courtesy refund. Not sure if that would still work and in any event the fee refund would have to be HUGE to make calling and begging worthwhile.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

PayPal Canada finally stopped refunding fees on partial refunds not so long ago, maybe 3,4 months back.

I now deduct those costs including the 0.30 when calculating the amount of the refund and include an explanatory note why the refunded amount was reduced. In addition I send an email repeating the message along with a further sentence encouraging use of the shopping cart as doing so earns an automatic combined shipping discount . So far no one has replied to any of these communications so I'm not sure how they are being received.
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

The advent of MP may mean the end of partial refunds connected to combined shipping for me. It's an open question how some buyers might respond to ending the practice of routinely issuing shipping refunds after the fact but I feel buyers (and ebay) need to learn to work a little harder on this. If ebay would find a way of having BIN automatically add an item to the cart like every other site out there a lot of these problems would not occur.
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@kawartha-ephemera wrote:
The advent of MP may mean the end of partial refunds connected to combined shipping for me. It's an open question how some buyers might respond to ending the practice of routinely issuing shipping refunds after the fact but I feel buyers (and ebay) need to learn to work a little harder on this. If ebay would find a way of having BIN automatically add an item to the cart like every other site out there a lot of these problems would not occur.

Agreed. It is still very surprising that there is no Continue Shopping if you are using a PC. The only way to add additional items is by opening a new window for each item you would like to add.

-Lotz

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Absolutely. The absence of a continue shopping option in the cart is very odd.
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

They're charging Canadians FVFs on sales taxes collected by American states when those taxes has ABSOLUTELY ZERO to do with us. Does anyone seriously think eBay is going to refund FVFs on partial refunds. My only comment on that is, HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@55-yard-line-sportscards wrote:

They're charging Canadians FVFs on sales taxes collected by American states when those taxes has ABSOLUTELY ZERO to do with us. Does anyone seriously think eBay is going to refund FVFs on partial refunds. My only comment on that is, HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Not refunding on previously collected  tax should be an automatic bare minimum requirement(for partial refunds). Otherwise it's just a money grab.

-Lotz

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Hi @recped 

This is my understanding as well. No refund to FV fees for partial refunds unless you call and beg.  I think this is still the status quo or the costra notra whichever way you describe it.  

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

a ZOMBIE thread from 2020.   Information can get out of date on old threads.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 14 of 14
latest reply