Managed Payments for US selling and banking

I have been invited to join managed payments by Ebay.ca  They say I can use a US account from a CDN bank.

My TD CDN account is attached with a US TD America account.  There is no option for a TD US funds account in Canada only the TD America account in the USA.  when I try to register that account it does not work.  So I am guessing because its in the USA it will not work as Ebay is looking for a CDN account in US dollars.

Question:  1) Does anyone know of such a USA dollars account but the money is here in Canada?  I suspect that RBC is the same boat as TD and use The American division for the money to be deposited to.

2) Should I just wait to register my US bank info from Ebay.com and forget about registering with Ebay.ca as I have been invited to join managed payments by CDN not USA Ebay

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

byto253
Community Member

TD has a Canadian based US$ account that has no monthly fee, but $1.25 per withdrawl transaction which does not apply if you have a $1,500 balance.   

I don't think you are going to get far trying to get your current US based account registered. 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

If you're a Canadian member you must enter a Canadian bank with USD or CAD account.  You can't use the RBC or TD crossborder bank accounts, those are technically US banks and managed payments does not allow it and never will for legal reasons.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I disagree with the "legal reasons " for not attaching an American bank account to a Canadian Managed Payments . My Paypal account happily puts my USD payments into my American bank account.

Just ask at your bank to open a US dollar account. They are quite common and have been available for at least 50 years (which is as far back as I remember, as a one-time bank teller).

Many eBayers are opting to use a dedicated online account like Tangerine or Simplii which does not interact with personal accounts.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

There are a few Canadian banks that have US$ chequing  accounts.  I don't know them off the top of my head but you can google them. 

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I've read that if you want to register on .com with a US bank account, MP will require you to have a US Socisl Security number or an ITIN for non residents.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Are you looking at TD Bank (the US Division) or TD Canada Trust (the Canadian Division).

TD Canada seems to offer a US Dollar chequing account:

https://www.td.com/ca/en/personal-banking/products/bank-accounts/us-dollar-accounts/us-daily-interes...

If they don't you will have to use a different bank, there are quite a few that do. I used to have one with CIBC  and previously Scotiabank. Currently I have one with Meridian CU that has no fees.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

By "legal reasons" I meant country tax related legal reasons. 

They're forcing everyone to use a bank in the country they are based in.  Governments are starting to really  get involved with online sales related taxes so this is probably one way to make them happy.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Managed Payments Nightmare!
I have my paypal account set up to accept USD to go to my physically located US Bank account and CAD to my Canadian account.
Most Canadian based USD accounts have fees per transaction or a monthly fee.
I tried to register my Physical US bank account and E-Bay will not do it unless I am an American Citizen or register with the IRS and get Government Photo ID. I had a long discussion with no resolution!
I asked if E-Bay was aware of FATCA agreement between Canada and the United States. They just said they would put a feedback form into HQ.  (a polite way of saying I have no clue what you are talking about)
They act as though we are trying to hide something? The IRS has full access to my USD account as does Canada Revenue.

Ebay should handle sales tax if they are so worried.  I already see "Internet Tax" being collected!
How are all the Chinese Sellers registered on Ebay.Com?

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

TD has a Canadian based US$ account that has no monthly fee, but $1.25 per withdrawl transaction which does not apply if you have a $1,500 balance.   

I don't think you are going to get far trying to get your current US based account registered. 

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Hello

TD canada trust does have a USD account as you mentioned however when trying to link this account on ebay.com, ebay.com sends you to ebay.ca....when on ebay.ca, you cannot see and therefore cannot select the TD USD account? Is there a dffferent way to link this account?

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@kh-leslie 

@kh-laura 

@kh-phdan 

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2021!

@tamkyo- outdated threads often are no longer relevant...best to start a new thread of your own to address any current issue for which you are seeking assistance.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue discussing this topic.

Thanks for your understanding!

Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 12 of 12
latest reply