Managed payments and International/US visibility?

dhslk
Community Member

I'm  worried about the following, that I saw on an ebay.com thread:

..."There are a few more details in the Terms of Service:

Charity, International Listings, and International Site Visibility

If you use managed payments, certain types of active listings you have may end as they are currently not supported by managed payments. Please note:

• To prevent your active international listings from being ended, you need to cancel your listings on international sites and relist them on eBay.com. If you do not take this step, your listings may be cancelled.
  • To prevent the ending of your listings which have ebay for Charity as an option, you need to revise your items and remove the eBay for Charity option. If you do not take this step, your listings may be cancelled or we may remove the eBay for Charity option from your listings.
  • You must edit your listings to remove the international site visibility advanced listing upgrade. You may need to contact customer service with your item IDs to receive a fee credit for this feature."...

I have backed out of signing up for Managed Payments about 6 times in the past few weeks because I keep reading confusing/problematic statements and have been on ebay a LONG time, long enough to know that what you are told by reps is often not accurate and that errors will not be fixable. I highly expect almost all of my listings to be ended if I sign up, as almost all have the UK visibility upgrade (see red text above). I had phoned about another vague statement about "some listings may be ended", and was told that it only applied to Adult category etc., but then today I saw the above Terms of Service statement.

Has anyone who lists on ebay.ca but who has mostly US/UK/Australia sales, and who uses the UK visibility upgrade, switched to Managed Payments? If so, were your listings ended? Do your items still show up on these International sites, as they did before?

I can't take the chance of enabling Managed Payments until I know for sure what is going to happen to my existing listings, and my International and US visibility.

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: Managed payments and International/US visibility?

I have an ebay.com store with 3800 items on it. I can no longer list ...blocked because of no managed payments. I contacted Ebay.com and was told that I could no longer list anything in USD on .com....and was warned to only list on .ca in Canadian dollars. 

Message 41 of 45
latest reply

@nationalmopartscanada 

So that account is registered on dotCOM -- most of those are grandfathered, many since the 20th century.

If that account is registered with dotCA, it is the general experience here that if we are not totally switched to MP (and I am one who is registered but it has not been activated) we can list on both sites from dotCA.

So two things.

On your new dotCA account, start putting your listings on dotCOM in US dollars.Since that account is not in MP you should be able to do that. And fix the shipping!!

And on Tuesday, make an appointment with the manager at your Royal or TD Bank to talk about a 'snowbird' account with RBCBank or TDNorth, both of which are American banks which are affiliated with Canadian banks.

Having that American account attached to your dotCOM account may take care of your basic listing problem.

tyler@ebay 

@ricarmic  -- You are a dotCOM account holder I think? Any thoughts  or advice?

Message 42 of 45
latest reply

HI! @reallynicestamps  Yes I have a grandfathered .COM account.

Prior investigation shows that whilst it was originally a .COM based account, stuff behind the scenes now somehow knows it/me as a Canadian account.

I moments ago listed an item on .COM with no problems, however knowing that "eBay" "thinks" of me as a Canadian (aka grandfathered US) account it shouldn't have stopped me.

I'm not sure how one can have a .COM account that isn't grandfathered, but to be honest I hardly understand how my account "looks" let alone any of the other combinations possible. It is perhaps possible for a Canadian to have a "real" .COM account if a US address etc were provided but @nationalmopartscanada  will have to let us know. If it is, they should have gotten all the MP forewarning messages leading up to now?

Message 43 of 45
latest reply

The op's .com listings state the merchansise is located in Niagara Falls NY. 

Message 44 of 45
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

tyler@ebay wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

tyler@ebay 

I'm confused by this statement you made..

"f your account is activated and you are listing directly on a different site (like .com or UK) those listings would be ended. Because of the way International Site Visibility works, those listings would also be ended if the feature is not turned off."

1. In the international visibility scenario, would just the listings on  the UK site be ended or would they also be ended on the site that they were actually listed as well?

2.  I realize that we are being told that if we list on .com we don't have to register for MP right now.  However,  it was my understanding that if we did register and listed on  .com,  the buyer's payment would be converted to Cdn$ at our expense and then deposited into our bank account but that sometime in the future they were going to try and set it up so that the money could instead be deposited into a US or $US account.  But according to your statement above,  our listings on .com would be ended.

One of the reasons that I thought we could still list on .com but our money would be converted was based on this response from

"If you are Canadian, list on .ca, and sell to a US buyer, you only pay the international fee. We’ve discounted this rate for Canadian sellers compared to other payment processors. If you are Canadian, list on .com with your Canadian account and sell to a US buyer, you would pay the international fee and the currency conversion fee. Keep in mind that If you do significant volume on the .com site, you are not required to register at this time"

post 24 -  https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Chat-Session/June-3-2020-Weekly-Chat-Managed-Payments/td-p/44008...

Based on your comment, perhaps I misunderstood what will actually happen.  Which is it..... If we decided to register (even though we aren't required to)  our listings will be ended on .com or will they stay on .com but will be connected to our Canadian accounts and will be charged a conversion fee?

Hi @pjcdn2005 - hoping I can clarify! (please reference the disclaimers above)

1. As far as I'm aware, the listing with site visibility would be ended (because International Site Visibility flags a listing as international).

2. At this point in time, you wouldn't be able to list directly on .com, but your listings can be found on .com through search. If a US buyer finds your CA-listed item and pays, those funds would be converted to CAD and paid out. My understanding is that this will not be the case for long, but it's one of the reasons why most folks doing a good share of their business between .com and .ca are not being activated into payments yet. I'll ask for more clarification on this specific example though. 

Thanks!

tyler@ebay 
2.  We are getting contradicting information then.  The ‘expert’ in MP that I quoted specifically said that if I listed on ,com with a Canadian account I would be charged a conversion fee.  I also read something similar on the .com boards from another eBay MP rep. Neither of them mentioned that option would only be available in the future and that a seller who registered now would not be able to list on a site they weren’t registered on.  

I realize that this won’t affect sellers right now on .com who haven’t registered yet but it is very frustrating that we seem to be have been given conflicting information which in turn we have passed on to other sellers.  The questions that we are asking are straight forward yet don’t seem to have clear cut answers yet.   Although you can’t say so, I suspect that the lack of transparency is as frustrating for you as it is for us.  

tyler@ebay 

Hi tyler, sorry to comment again about the same subject but here is another statement from ebay saying that Canadians can list on .com with MP although the latter part of the statement doesn't really support that. So confusing!

Can I receive funds in USD if I list on eBay.com?

While you will still be able to list on eBay.com using a Canadian bank account, you will not initially be able to be paid out in USD. We understand that this is an important and unique distinction for some businesses, and our goal is to make this as seamless a transition as possible. We will activate your account when the features of managed payments meet the needs of your business. 

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Announcements/Managed-Payments-Frequently-Asked-Questions/ba-p/439876

Hi @pjcdn2005 - I'm working on getting more detail on this, because it definitely seems like a few different things have been said leading to a not insignificant amount of confusion on all our parts. 

I'll try to get it straight from the horse's mouth this time!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 45 of 45
latest reply