Hi,

Below are some frequently asked questions that we’ve been asked through Customer Service and seen in the Community with regards to managed payments in Canada. Please keep your questions and feedback coming. You can always find additional information on our Seller Centre page here

As always, thank you for selling on eBay. 

What type of account do I have?

When you register for managed payments, we will ask for your account type. If you have registered with the CRA and have a business registration number, you may use the business account flow. If you sell as a hobby or as an additional source of income, please use the private account flow. 

How is eBay protecting my personal information?

After activating managed payments for your account, you can view and edit your information in the Account tab of My eBay. We will use and share the information you submit as described in the Payments Terms of Use. Learn more about how eBay protects your personal information.

We protect your personal data through technical and organizational security measures to minimize risks associated with data loss, misuse, unauthorized access and unauthorized disclosure and alteration. To this end, we use firewalls and data encryption, as well as physical access restrictions for our data centers and authorization controls for data access.

You can find further information on our data security procedures in our Security Centre.

Are you going to charge $0.30 cents per item?

No, we are not going to charge $0.30 cents per item, but there will be a $0.30 fee per order. An order is defined as any number of items purchased by the same buyer at checkout with the same shipping method.

How will the new fee structure work?

Once your account is activated for managed payments, we will charge one final value fee when your item sells with no third-party payments processing fees. This fee is calculated as a category based percentage of the total amount of the sale, plus $0.30 per order.

Where can I find details about the updated fee structure?

Details about the fee structure can be accessed via the help pages for members who have been invited to or already completed registration. Click here to see if you are eligible for managed payments. 

Can I receive funds in USD if I list on eBay.com?

While you will still be able to list on eBay.com using a Canadian bank account, you will not initially be able to be paid out in USD. We understand that this is an important and unique distinction for some businesses, and our goal is to make this as seamless a transition as possible. We will activate your account when the features of managed payments meet the needs of your business. 

Will my eTRS final value fee discount continue when my account is enabled for managed payments?

If your item qualifies for the Top Rated Plus discount, you will continue to receive the 10% discount. On managed payments, your 10% discount will not only be applied to the item price as it is today, but on the total amount of the sale including shipping and tax. This will result in additional savings on most Top Rated Plus items.

How can I pay for fees? Can I still pay fees out of my PayPal account? 

Yes, you will still be invoiced for monthly fees, but the fees associated with a listing will be automatically deducted from your sales proceeds. For the fees that you are invoiced for, you can choose to pay in the same manner you do today, which includes paying through your bank account, credit or debit cards, or PayPal. 

If I give a full refund to my buyer will I get my final value fee back?

Unlike third-party payment processors, in the event of a full refund or cancellation, the variable portion of the final value fee will generally be returned to the seller, while eBay will retain only the per order fee of $0.30.

How are payouts handled when eBay manages payments?

Payments are sent directly to your linked bank account, eliminating the need to transfer funds from another payments provider. We consistently initiate payouts to your bank account within 2 business days of an order confirmation, regardless of how the buyer paid. You can also schedule payouts weekly or daily, as funds are available.

Why can’t I get funds the same day like I do today in PayPal?

We aim to pay you as quickly as possible, but are dependent on the credit card brands (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, etc.) and banks for payout processing and timely funds settlement.

Can Buyers still use PayPal?

Yes. With eBay managing your payments, buyers have more ways to pay including credit, debit and gift cards, Apple Pay, Google Pay, PayPal, and PayBright.