Maximum dimensions small packet USA?

i thought there was a cubic foot limit for small packet USA.  When i enter 18 x11x8 inches (which is under a cubic foot) and a weight of 1.99  kg into the Canada Post rate calculator  the cheapest option is Expedited.  No small packet option.

I can't find anything on CP's site regarding maximum dimensions for small packet USA, or if i do it's way out of date.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

i called CP customer service and they didn't know.  She told me to go to a Post Office.  Useless.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

I don't know the restrictions on Small Package USA but I noticed that eBay's shipping calculator is not working for anything other than Canada this morning when I just checked. Maybe some issue with all the recent rate changes and the holiday yesterday?

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

No more than 90cm combined and longest dimension can me no more than 60cm. Believe you are over by 2cm.
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Official info here:

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/doc/en/support/preparing/preparing-parcels.pdf

As @merritt-motorcycle-salvage says, the package is over the limit for combined height + width + depth.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

that was extremely helpful.  Thank you all. 

So it's not a cubic foot.  By cutting down my package size a tiny bit , which i can just barely do, i'm saving $20 in shipping cost.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Yes, it is time to do the Franken box dance!

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@byto253 wrote:

Yes, it is time to do the Franken box dance!

@dinomitesales 

Re: Frankenbox/FrankenEnvelop dilema

Has anyone come to a conclusion regarding the dreaded "just a smidge over" situations? From time to time a small bit of box or envelop creative packaging can get you under...But not always. I've had situations where even adding the pouch with documents can throw weight off to put something over. Does CP have any sort of close enough or is it entirely at the discretion of whoever processes the parcel. I had an envelop this morning. My very consistent scale said 98 grams. CP stated 103 grams.

-Lotz

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Canada Post went metric in 1974.

All other systems will be inaccurate.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@fergua3 wrote:

i called CP customer service and they didn't know.  She told me to go to a Post Office.  Useless.

lol figures. @merritt-motorcycle-salvage is correct - length + width + height must be 90 cm or less for all packet services. Packet services are not based on volumetric weight in the way that parcels are.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Re: Frankenbox/FrankenEnvelop dilema

Has anyone come to a conclusion regarding the dreaded "just a smidge over" situations? From time to time a small bit of box or envelop creative packaging can get you under...But not always. I've had situations where even adding the pouch with documents can throw weight off to put something over. Does CP have any sort of close enough or is it entirely at the discretion of whoever processes the parcel. I had an envelop this morning. My very consistent scale said 98 grams. CP stated 103 grams.

-Lotz

It's at Canada Post's discretion. There is no official direction or publication as to how much the weight/measurements of a parcel is allowed to be off before it is re-rated, but they do have some degree of leniency I would imagine. I've purposely 'fudged' the numbers by 1-2 cm at the retail counter for customers to get their parcels within the Small Packet dimensions and have never had any problems with things being sent back. Similarly, if a letter is over by a few grams I'll usually just pass it through and it will get there just fine. I'd imagine the automatic sorting machinery allows a certain percentage of leeway in either direction before flagging a parcel for shortpaid postage.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Does CP have any sort of close enough or is it entirely at the discretion of whoever processes the parcel. I had an envelop this morning. My very consistent scale said 98 grams. CP stated 103 grams.

-Lotz

I'd probably take my scale up to CP with a reference weight 😀

I'm pretty sure if you pay over the counter, there's no discretion. If you use your own stamps or indicia I doubt the postal employees even bother checking most of the time. They're too busy to care about rejecting and refiling a package because it's 3 grams over or doesn't quite slip through the slot under its own gravity. I think the slot tester the post office uses might be very slightly larger than reference to allow for some error though.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Message 13 of 13
latest reply