More Musings on Make an Offer

Despite my reservations about the matter, I opted to add Best Offer to virtually all my listings before Christmas to stimulate dismal sales performance. I'm pleased to report it helped stimulate sales as I hoped it would.

Here are my thoughts. Please bear in mind I'm not claiming to have run any tests, experiments or drawn conclusions. These are my thoughts only, offered for discussion or your general entertainment. 

• Certain buyers really like Best Offer. (Duh.) Others will skip it just to make their purchase and go. They don't want to wait around and fuss back-and-forth with asking price. 
  • Almost 80 per cent of buyers will offer half the asking price or less regardless of the item being already substantially marked down or not.
  • A seller really has to 'get over' the people who think it's totally cool to make an offer of $5 on an item selling for $100. Thick skin helps. I am learning to stifle the swear words that bubble forth when this happens. It is a work in progress. Decline decline decline.
  • Some would-be buyers cannot take 'no' for an answer and if you add Auto-Decline to that listing, will find a similar one of yours and keep offering less than you'd dream of accepting.
  • Expect at least a few rude messages when you decline those crazy lowball offers. It's best not to engage those people. Move on, eyerolling optional.
  • Changing your handling time will wipe away all your Auto-Decline and Auto-Accept settings for no good reason. Still. I found this during the summer and reported it as a bug and it hasn't been fixed yet.
  • Many Canadian buyers have zero concept of the cost of included postage in an asking price and will happily offer a seller $10 for an item with included postage when postage to their postal code alone will cost $15. That, or they think the Canada Post Fairy has been along and that shipping really is magically free. And that the Shopping Fairy made the item free too while the giveaways were going around.
  • Less than two per cent of my buyers will entertain a counter-offer. They either want it for the lowball offer they submit or they don't. There is no negotiating. Most counteroffers will be ignored. A vast majority will be promptly declined and no more offers forthcoming.
  • The 'blocked buyer' list is a seller's best friend. I see something of a correlation between Best Offer buyers and a lot of nasty Feedback Left For Others that would concern any seller. 

I decided early that if the Best Offer is even remotely close to what I might consider the very lowest end of acceptable if I were absolutely desperate, it's take it or leave it. At least in my sector of sales, there is little point to a counteroffer, it only prolongs the process and ties up what you can revise in a listings while the buyer lets the counteroffer time-out without responding. 

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

I have mixed feelings about Best Offer. I have had success with it ocasionally & other times it has been a nightmare with haggling buyers. On larger priced items worth $100.00 or more it works not too bad. But on small sales it doesn't pay for me to do it. People that offer ridiculous low offers or insult me get placed on my Blocked list. I remember once at a flea market a person kept haggling over an item & I refused to sell it to her. My husband told her the price had just gone up double for her.

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

Groan, I had a lady come to my ebay store via the kijiji ads I run and she was like that. Haggle haggle haggle, finally satisfied, came to to pick up and pay to get her stuff and she was a nightmare on my doorstep, told me a story about how she preferred to drown baby rabbits, and then three months later sends me a message out of the blue complaining she paid too much for what she had bought from me. Like.....? Egad. 

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

Wait, it was 'I paid too much for what I bought, what else you got?'

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

I myself tried best offer on a few items and did put a minimum of what I would accept for BO.  I had a couple of rude emails and decided that was not for me.  I don't like haggling.   For me BO brings out the bottom feeders.   I spend hours researching prices and try to be competitive.  Now I can never compete with US sellers who paid 10 cents per CD and sell them for $3 free shipping.  But for the most part I do OK.  I sell CD's and 80% are all priced under $10 free shipping, so to be offered $2, doesn't work for me.  I am also moving away for free shipping for a change, shake things up.  Shipping within Canada is $3.10, envelope .50, paypal and ebay fees on $10 is around $1.30 so that adds up to about $4.90 for the expenses.  

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

so that adds up to about $4.90 for the expenses.  

Which is why I like selling in US dollars wherever possible.
I can use Free Shipping and my fees and mailing costs (postage and packaging) are covered in the difference between $10CDN and $10USD.

No tracking of course, and I get a really good price on postage (surprise!) all of which helps.

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Despite my reservations about the matter, I opted to add Best Offer to virtually all my listings before Christmas to stimulate dismal sales performance. I'm pleased to report it helped stimulate sales as I hoped it would.

Here are my thoughts.

Very good analysis.  Accurate, yet enjoyable and fun to read.  

Too bad all those points can't be inserted into the eBay info page,  http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/best-offer.html#work

just below the section on "How does Best Offer work?"  could be your summation entitled, 

"How Best Offer Really works."    :-)  

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Groan, I had a lady come to my ebay store via the kijiji ads I run and she was like that. Haggle haggle haggle, finally satisfied, came to to pick up and pay to get her stuff and she was a nightmare on my doorstep, told me a story about how she preferred to drown baby rabbits, and then three months later sends me a message out of the blue complaining she paid too much for what she had bought from me. Like.....? Egad. 

Groan, this is why I will never do local pick up. Not worth my time, better spent at work. And I'm also super paranoid about having strangers show up at my doorstep (yet somehow I'm okay with selling online and putting my address on there for return address...) Smiley Indifferent

The only thing I have sold with local pick up on c****list were furniture because my parents were downsizing. We ended up just dragging everything onto the driveway two weeks later (smaller items taken to donation collection), free for pick-up, because we were fed up with the no-shows. 

Back to best offer, I haven't had much issues with people being rude to me with best offer. If I think the offer is too low, I simply decline without saying a word. I used to include a note saying that their offer doesn't even cover shipping, now I don't bother. If their feedback left for others looked horrible, or if they were persistent with low-ball offers, I add them to by BBL list too. 

I also have decent results with best offer, for example their offer is close to what I would accept, I'd counteroffer and also tell them if they buy multiple items I can sell them at their offered price. They either accept my counteroffer, or make their lower offer on a couple more items, or I just don't hear from them again. 

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

If I had places to go and people to see, I wouldn't bother with offering Local Pickup either. One does have to be careful. But I'm housebound with small kids and my husband works from home so I'm never alone or truly vulnerable to threatening behaviour.

In fairness, she's the only real nut I've had on my doorstep of all the dozens and dozens of times I've had people here, or met them elsewhere in Winnipeg. Winnipeggers are also notoriously thrifty little (insert bad word) so that's a factor with the haggling from kijiji that I've learned to live with. If nothing else, the Best Offers (declined or accepted) seem to drive an item slightly higher in Best Match so it's not a complete loss.

And Toys I think are probably a low-risk category, I'd expect although I've done Custom Bundles for Local Buyers in the hundreds of dollars a few times now. Unlike electronics or high-end designer clothing. I don't think I'd get stabbed for a $15 diecast. Even ten of them. People often bring their kids.

There's only been once I can recall that no one came. No, twice. Once was an address mix-up made by the buyer, the other went to Unpaid after repeated attempts to make contact. The latter was rather awkward.

I do think Best Offer facilitates Local Pickup because many of my items now include free domestic postage so I'm able to easily accept a lower asking price if I know the buyer wants Local Pickup. Ditto for selling to Americans. From a buyer outside Canada, I can accept slower asking price on a Free Canada Shipping Item since the cost of shipping doesn't need to apply to the selling price.

Other than that, I've never liked Best Offer on listings because I suspect it puts a seller in a weak position of appearing not to know the actual value of their items. Like $100 OBO because I don't have a hot clue whether it's worth $9.50 or $95.00.

Right now, however, it's working for me. I was in a real slump in the fall and with Best Match that's a tailspin one needs to pull from in order to start succeeding again.

It would be simpler if those auto-decline amounts didn't get wiped away with any shift in handling time. That's a lot of work down the drain when it happens.
Message 9 of 32
latest reply

mjwl2006, interesting points and I can't say that I disagree with any one of them.

However, in my experience there is no reliable system to the way B.O. works.  I don't automatically decline ridiculously low-ball offers because sometimes they do actually work out. 

Last week a buyer offered me $50 for a $200 item.  I counteredd with an offer just under $200.  In time we agreed on a price we could both live with.

Then, she bought another $250 item for $240.

Go Figure, and that wasn't the first time I've seen that pattern.   I'm dumbfounded as to why a seller would block buyers for making a low offers even if the offer is $1 for a $200 item.  

I totally agree, though, that in general buyers make one offer and that's it.  Only a few haggle back and forth.

For example, last month I had 2 buyers make offers for expensive items which I would have accepted, but both told me that it was just a starting point and invited me to counter-offer.  I took the bait and counter-offered just a little bit higher and lost both of them.

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

Like others mentioned I normally only offer BO on higher priced stuff, usually $100s or more, and even then rarely anymore. I don't remember the last lot I listed that had BO on it so it has been quite a while.

Normally my counter offers aren't responded to.

Sometimes like silvie, I've had an offering situation stimulate other sales, but that is rare.

The new thing for me in the last few months is people making offers on stuff that does not have BO on it!!! I am probably getting 5 "questions" with an offer a week! 

Because I list on .COM, I am able to respond to messages with a counter offer and don't have to change the listing to do so. I have completed a few sales this way in the last few weeks! Generally I don't accept offers on little stuff (things under $20) unless it is something old or that I think will be very slow to sell.

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

The unsolicited 'best offers' posing as questions are a factor for me too. I don't get as many as five a week but at least one per week every week since I began to sell. They have dropped since I formally added Best Offer to the listings. I will say it takes less time to set up Best Offer with Auto-Decline on a listing than it does to politely tell a buyer I won't accept his $5 offer on a $40 item with free shipping. 

(That would be a nice feature to see on ebay.ca.) 

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

Reply with offer is an awesome feature (as is paid advertising). Something to help offset the extra $$$ it costs me to operate out of .COMland...

Interestingly, for me, I don't get stupid low offers via the unsolicited offers. Sometimes they are too low for me to accept but they are at least in the realm of reason.
Message 13 of 32
latest reply

I think that the reason that B.O. gets so much attention here lately is because there's been a shift in the way buyers are using that function.

Also, ric, I'm a fan of the "Reply with Offer" function as well.  That was a good idea on eBay's part.

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

I've been using Best Offer for years, probably from the first week it was available, with real and surprisingly consistent success.  Here are my own thoughts (and advice, for anyone interested) on the subject of Best Offer, gained from many years of experimenting and using it in different ways: 

• Use Best Offer strategically:  Most of the issues 'mj' has cited -- nasty customers, ridiculously lowball offers, rude messages, personal insults, etc. -- can be avoided by not using Best Offer as a substitute discount system on a wide variety (or all) of listings, especially not those of lower value.  ("Low value" is hard to define, but basically anything below the median of a seller's offerings).  I don't believe that's its best use or original purpose.  I see Best Offer as a "special feature" tool. 
  • The optics are part of the game:  Using Best Offer non-selectively may ultimately generate sales, but will also in my view make a seller's store look like a fire-sale that can be taken advantage of, inevitably attracting bottom feeders (I know I've said this before).  It will also tend to invite insult and abuse, or at the very least, frustration and waste of time for the seller.  This defeats the whole point of Best Offer, and actually takes focus away from the items you really want to direct attention to.  
  • So, I'd say use Best Offer in a strategic way to highlight feature items.  These are the items I really want to sell and that in my experience are more likely to attract serious buyers who will make reasonable (or at least feasible) offers.  One such sale makes up for a whole lot of wasted haggling over $20 transactions.  
  • In all the years I've used Best Offer on such items (usually valued over about $200), I've never failed to sell at what I considered a reasonable price within a few weeks, sometimes within a few days, occasionally even within a few hours.  I've never, in all those years, had an outrageously low offer, or one I felt I couldn't work with, either by immediate acceptance or counter-offer.  Mosty the offers are within 80% of the BIN price.  
  • Provides buyers with an opportunity to have input into pricing: I like to think of Best Offer as a sort of slow auction.  I don't see it as reflective of being unable to price my items properly, but as a signal to buyers that I'm willing to be flexible.  On items that are of higher value and/or in higher demand there is more "wiggle room" to accommodate a buyer, which makes the transaction more likely to be a successful one for both buyer and seller.  Best Offer gives buyers a chance to feel they're participating in the buy-sell process on a pricey item.  And a buyer who feels they've negotiated a good price on such an item will be less likely to find things to complain about. 
  • I would not use auto-decline or auto-accept.  As convenient as those features may seem, they have three drawbacks.  First, they make no sense on the items I prefer to use Best Offer for.  I want to engage personally with a buyer making an offer on, say, a $300 item.  

Secondly, and more importantly, if Best Offer is used widely by a seller, for items of lower value as well as higher, it can defeat the benefit of Best Offer by creating a string of "declines" on lesser items.  This not only reflects poorly on the seller generally, but may deter serious buyers a seller would hope would make an offer on more important items.  As a buyer, I review the Best Offer history of sellers carefully before making an offer, and usually bypass anyone with a history of too many declines.  

Lastly, auto-decline can actually work against the seller in getting the best price possible, especially if a less than scrupulous buyer sees the seller has a history of declines.  I've seen this complaint reported by a number of sellers over the years.  Some buyers, knowing they're dealing with a computer and not a person, will "fish" until they hit the seller's rock-bottom acceptance price on try #3, rather than simply making their best offer the first time around.  I think this may particularly be a problem on lower-priced items, another reason not to use Best Offer indiscriminately.  

• Best Offer can help attract more sales:  I've found this is true.  In fact, sometimes I'll leave an offer pending on an item, and occasionally it will attract a better offer or someone who will use the BIN.  Pending offers are prominently advertised by eBay on listings (and -- if I recall, also in searches), which can only help.  I see that in itself as one of the key features of Best Offer, a kind of oblique free advertising.  Even if a curious buyer only takes a look, they may end up browsing and buying something else from my store.  
  • Counteroffers can work: Again, because I use Best Offer selectively, usually on higher-priced items, I've found that a well-considered counteroffer can make a sale that might otherwise be unpalatable to me.  My approach is to leave any poor offer pending for a while to see if it attracts another buyer.  If not, I subtract the buyer's offer from my BIN price and offer to split the difference in my counteroffer.  This is almost always successful.  Nonetheless, by using Best Offer only on particular items, I rarely have to resort to a counteroffer.  
  • Best Offer may work better for some categories than others:  I've always suspected this may be true, but of course there's no way to confirm it.  For anyone just starting to use Best Offer, choose a handful of your most attractive items to try it out first, rather than putting it on across the board.  If you want to generate even more exposure, run an item-wide discount sale (say 10% off), along with a few Best Offer items.   

I'm a solid fan of Best Offer, it's been extremely successful for me, has caused virtually no issues in terms of customer relations (or my nerves).  It's helped make some of my best sales and happiest buyers over the years.  EBay has tweaked Best Offer a little bit over the past decade, but really not that much compared to some of its other features, so it remains a core eBay feature.  I do believe however, that it's something which has to be used with precision and strategy, and which takes time to master, like any good tool.  

Message 15 of 32
latest reply

amcdc79
Community Member

After reading you and Roses fantastic musing on whether, and how to use Make an Offer, I decided to give it a whirl. When I tried it in the past, I normally set the Auto-Decline, this time I didn't.

Forgive me for asking, but when there is an offer, where do you find out?

Tai.   

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

When an Offer is made, you SHOULD find a message from eBay pertaining to it in your eBay Messages Inbox Folder. That being said, there may be a communication preference for this I'm not aware of having set.
Message 17 of 32
latest reply

And best of luck with it to you. Let us know how things transpire with your experience. 

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

Years ago when I tried it, iirc, I remember seeing a notification to the right of the item. I'll keep an eye on that area as well.

I will report the outcome as soon as I know. Thanks for the great info, in this day and age every little bit helps.

The reason I gave up on using it, was I seemed to get nothing but low ball offers.

Thanks again.

Message 19 of 32
latest reply

You are welcome.

A word of caution to all contemplating using Best Offer on multi-quality Good Till Cancelled (GTC) listings: 

If you add Best Offer to a GTC listing with multi-quantities that had sales at any point, you cannot remove Best Offer (BO) if a sale has been made from that listing while Best Offer was added even if BO was not used to make said sale.

The only way is then get rid of Best Offer on that listing is to end the listing completely and then relist but you lose all your Watchers and Purchase History that way. 

I know this because I'm trying to remove Best Offer from a specific product line that I sell because no one ever uses it; the BO feature only facilities low-ball offers and then insulting messages when those offers are declined (while the people who actually want that product just straight use Buy It Now) but ebay won't allow the BO feature to be removed. It's permanently embedded. 

Not with a revise listing or Bulk Edit. No way, no how. I find this very irritating. Like I said, BO wasn't working on this particular product line so the only sales that ever happened on those listings were straight-up BINs. But I can't get rid of it. 

Message 20 of 32
latest reply