More "de minimis" maneuvering

Did anyone else get this sent to their private email?  Boy, they sure are persistent.  

sign letter.jpg

Message 1 of 69
latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

I got it today on my buying id.....
Message 2 of 69
latest reply

There's something underhanded and tricky about the whole business, the way they are going about it.  I can't put my finger on it exactly, but I'm just not comfortable with the wording or something.  It sounds like 'the hard sell' where too much valuable and explanatory information is left out.  It makes me uncomfortable anyway.  

Message 3 of 69
latest reply

I just deleted it...
Message 4 of 69
latest reply

More than happy to read your note and perhaps consider acting upon it once you have a concrete answer for your Canadian sellers as to if/when the Canadian supplier for shipping supplies (per the coupon program) is in place. Deal?

Message 5 of 69
latest reply

Yeah I also got it on one of my buying id's.

I like the part about "sign the letter if you agree" with nothing mentioned about how to proceed if you don't agree! How about some contact information for Ms Stairs?

Now let me explain why I am not going to sign this letter.

I certainly understand that nobody enjoys paying duties or taxes when they purchase goods, it doesn't matter if these goods are imported, made in Canada from imported materials or wholly made in Canada (where no import duty would be involved).

That said, goods imported by Canadian businesses to be sold in Canada are subject to import duties (if applicable) from Dollar one, I do not see any justification for allowing one group of importers (consumers) to be exempt from import duties while even the smallest business importer is subject to import duties. If this was to be enacted fairly the exemption amount should be equal for both casual consumer imports and commercial imports. I'm not sure eBay is calling for an increase in exemptions for ALL importers, it would seem their concerns are strictly related to imports by individuals.

On the subject of GST/HST, this is a domestic tax which is broadly applied to goods and services regardless if the purchaser is an individual or a business, regardless if the goods are of domestic or imported origin. I see no justification to exempt certain goods not because the goods themselves should be exempt such as is the case with food, financial services and a few other very limited situations but rather because they were imported by an end user.  Not only is this unfair to domestic retailers, putting them at a competitive disadvantage, it reduces government revenues and that reduction will have to be made up by ALL Canadian regardless if they take advantage of this exemption or not.

One aspect of this topic that I might be able to support is that the Federal Government should set a free import limit which is at a level where the cost of collection (for government AND importers) of taxes on imported goods does not exceed the amount of taxes collected. No doubt this is an amount higher than the current CA$20 level especially if one considers the very high minimum "user fee" imposed by Canada Post to collect these taxes on behalf of the CBSA. To be fair I would only support this if the limit at whatever level it was set was applied in a consistent manner. The current situation where front line officers of the CBSA use their own discretion as to which shipments are taxed and which are not is unfair. It leads to many cases where a shipment of modest value is taxed while the next shipment of much greater value is allowed to pass untaxed. The current situation in that regard is like allowing Canadian businesses to randomly exempt customers from GST/HST at the cash register.

Notwithstanding any of the foregoing it would clearly be a good move politically (at a small scale) if the current government increased the de minimis threshold. Look for an announcement about 6 months prior to the next election, no point in wasting brownie points with almost 3 years to go!

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 69
latest reply

Excellent assessment!  I guess the way to proceed if we don't agree is to do what 'ric' did.   I'm not signing it either.  This topic has come up before, and there have been previous letters sent out to users.  I think what bothers me most is the relentlessness with which A.S. is pursuing it.  It's her job, I know, and not her fault that she's got it.  There's just something clandestine about targeting what eBay thinks are buyers to sign something which many may not fully understand, and may not be beneficial to all.  

That said, goods imported by Canadian businesses to be sold in Canada are subject to import duties (if applicable) from Dollar one, I do not see any justification for allowing one group of importers (consumers) to be exempt from import duties while even the smallest business importer is subject to import duties. If this was to be enacted fairly the exemption amount should be equal for both casual consumer imports and commercial imports. I'm not sure eBay is calling for an increase in exemptions for ALL importers, it would seem their concerns are strictly related to imports by individuals.

Yes, very obviously.  Its why they are not asking everyone, just users they think are buyers.  They think the change will be good for eBay.  They don't give a hoot about "red tape" and the "burdens on tax payers".  It's their beloved GSP they want to make more acceptable and entice more Canadian buyers to use eBay for online shopping.  It is entirely all about more money for eBay. Expressed concerns for the finances of ordinary Canadians is a manipulative ploy being used by eBay for it's own aims.  

And here's what I'm wondering about, If the limit were lowered, would that apply to everyone importing, like those small (or even large) business importers you mentioned?  I'm not referring to eBay sellers, buying cheap things like craft items to flip on eBay or make into something else for resale here.  Those are technically "buyers", or they are when wearing their buyer hats.  I'm just thinking that Canada could not very well apply a law to one group and not another.  How & where would they draw the line between one and another?  If I wanted to get a booming business in baby clothes going on eBay and imported my supplies cheap from Asia, would the local Infant Apparel shop get the same tax-free deal?  

It is my hope that the Canadian government will know enough not to take its directives from an American company and will instead do only what is ultimately going to be best for Canada as a whole long-term.  It is my wish that they would quickly make a ruling on it and put an end to eBay's badgering buyers with insinuations that the wonderful cornucopia of eBay goodies is there for the taking and it is only the antiquated Canadian government that is spoiling all their fun.  

Message 7 of 69
latest reply

got this month ago .Will never sigh letter like this .
Message 8 of 69
latest reply

That's right, so I looked it up.  When I see the differences they are now using to get the signatures they want, (I guess the earlier version did not yield the flurry of enthusiasm they expected) it convinces me all the more that it is shifty, self-seeking, and not likely to be good for Canada.  

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/eBay-letter-for-reducing-import-charges/m-p/360408

Message 9 of 69
latest reply

@i.am.vivian wrote:

It's their beloved GSP they want to make more acceptable and entice more Canadian buyers to use eBay for online shopping.

Well actually if the free limit was raised GSP would work pretty good for many more things. It's not the actual shipping portion of the charges (unless it's a very light item) what actually irks Canadian buyers is that they have to pay the taxes, there is no 50/50 (or whatever) odds it will be let through free.

I have to add, It certainly makes sense for eBay to lobby for this, Ms Stairs is charged with increasing transactions made on eBay by Canadians, for that number it's not relevant if those sales comes from Canadian sellers or International sellers.

It sure won't help Chinese sellers because they only ship items declared at $10 or less Smiley Wink

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 10 of 69
latest reply

@i.am.vivian wrote:

That's right, so I looked it up.  When I see the differences they are now using to get the signatures they want, (I guess the earlier version did not yield the flurry of enthusiasm they expected) it convinces me all the more that it is shifty, self-seeking, and not likely to be good for Canada.  

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/eBay-letter-for-reducing-import-charges/m-p/360408

I never read the earlier letter, I like this part "make it difficult for eBay users to buy and sell internationally".

How do de minimis limits affect Canadian users ability to SELL internationally? Wouldn't it be better to ask US sellers to support their efforts?

Message 11 of 69
latest reply

@recped wrote:
Well actually if the free limit was raised GSP would work pretty good for many more things. It's not the actual shipping portion of the charges (unless it's a very light item) what actually irks Canadian buyers is that they have to pay the taxes, there is no 50/50 (or whatever) odds it will be let through free.

Yes, I completely agree. Maybe I didn't word my thoughts all that well.  But I know what you mean, on the Buyer Board there must be thousands and thousands of complaints and the most common is the import charges!  Even when they're not all that big.  The GSP will still be a lousy program for small items like postcards, cds, etc because the shipping/ handling is still going to be needlessly expensive on those, just like now when the items are under $20 Cdn.  But ultimately the one who will really benefit from a change will be eBay & the US.

@recped wrote:

I have to add, It certainly makes sense for eBay to lobby for this, Ms Stairs is charged with increasing transactions made on eBay by Canadians, for that number it's not relevant if those sales comes from Canadian sellers or International sellers.

No argument from me.  I don't blame eBay for trying.  It would not make sense for them to not take any and every opportunity to do what they can to increase their revenue.  If they think they can effect change, it is in their best interest to go for it.  Everyone has to do whatever possible to get the most out of life, and that includes eBay.  I don't blame them a bit.  

I just hope that the Canadian government is able to distinguish between the American eBay's desires for more money going into the US company & US economy, and what is best for the country of Canada and all Canadian citizens.  

Is there any plan from within Canada to do anything about it, either to formalize that there will be no alteration, or else decide to change it?  Is Canada looking seriously at this or is it just a lot of noise from eBay as a desperate attempt to stop the griping about that GSP?  

Message 12 of 69
latest reply

@recped wrote:
I never read the earlier letter, I like this part "make it difficult for eBay users to buy and sell internationally".

How do de minimis limits affect Canadian users ability to SELL internationally? Wouldn't it be better to ask US sellers to support their efforts?

Well they don't, do they.   🙂   "EBay users" does not mean just Canadians. Looking at it another way, it could just as easily be said that the problem is that GSP and not the Canadian import limit and that if eBay had put as much effort into helping sellers sort out how to ship with USPS there wouldn't be a 'difficulty'.  

It's one of the things that I really REALLY don't like about these letters.  The first version is a bit too 'commercial' somehow, and the more recent one seems downgraded a bit to focus on urging buyers to want tax-free items.  If there is one thing that can get people interested it is "no tax".  When the GST first came in it was 7% and surprisingly lots of stores would have sales on over the weekend, like "Pay No GST All This Week", Or even "Pay No Tax All Day Saturday".   All that was, was a 7% Off sale.  But it got way more people in if they call it a NO GST sale.  The store pays the tax anyway, the just phrase the wordign to bring in shoppers.  They still have that advertised, one of those Big Box stores here will have a "No Tax" sale on certain goods.  It's just 12% off.  

But getting back to your point, I'm not sure as US eBay sellers are all that fussed about our limits.  They use the GSP, but most of them are sellers who never wanted to sell outside the US in the first place.  The GSP came along to make their items available worldwide, aka, more money to the US.  Canada's low limit makes it loathsome to buyers, but I'm not sure as this is something US sellers would really care about, not in any great numbers.  I don't know.

Message 13 of 69
latest reply

I also received this "de minimis" letter in my email. I checked my messages from eBay and nothing was posted on the subject. I always thought that anything from eBay had to go thru our eBay messaging. I just deleted the message from my email.  Strange indeed.

Message 14 of 69
latest reply

nikkow
Community Member
Screw off eBay. You're just trying to increase your revenue. You don't care about Canadian buyers one bit. If you did then you wouldn't be gouging us on shipping and "taxes" with your global shipping program
Message 15 of 69
latest reply

You're just trying to increase your revenue.

Imagine that, a for profit company trying to make a profit...shame on them!

Message 16 of 69
latest reply

I find the way that eBay is trying to barge into this political question offensive and threatening.  No doubt they'll get the signatures they're after because buyers will simply see that it's a way to pay less for something (anything) and they'll jump right on it.

The petition either shows how out of touch eBay is with what goes on at our level and/or eBay is looking out for eBay without no regard for "us".  Of course that makes sense, but when they try to change our laws it feels intrusive and not quite right because eBay has a lot of power.

recped posted above:   ""The current situation where front line officers of the CBSA use their own discretion as to which shipments are taxed and which are not is unfair. It leads to many cases where a shipment of modest value is taxed while the next shipment of much greater value is allowed to pass untaxed. The current situation in that regard is like allowing Canadian businesses to randomly exempt customers from GST/HST at the cash register."""

That practice of randomly collecting taxes makes it impossible to respond to this issue intelligently.  

Also, mj and others have pointed out that eBay is simply trying to get a boost for for the GSP and that's right on.

However, that also misses the point and shows how out of touch eBay is with the real world.  About a year ago the GSP simply stopped collecting import taxes.

I've done the math over and over and GSP charges simply do not add up.

I've been using the GSP regularly now because when sellers ship for free, the cost of shipping is usually within a dollar of two of First Class International shipping costs.

Not quite sure why more aren't questionning what's up with that?

I'd also like to point out that the US currently has a de minims of about $800 but in time that might be lowered.  I know I'm not the only one watching The Trump Circus, but if he's successful that show might trickle down to our level.   I mean really:  How does having an $800 limit benefit the American economy? 

Message 17 of 69
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

I'd also like to point out that the US currently has a de minims of about $800 but in time that might be lowered.  I know I'm not the only one watching The Trump Circus, but if he's successful that show might trickle down to our level.   I mean really:  How does having an $800 limit benefit the American economy? 

The only way, I would think, would be if the US, like Canada, found it cost more to process the paperwork and do the collecting than what they ever collected.  Maybe they found that $800 seemed to be the magic number, above which it would be justifiable but below that, too expensive to do.  It's why I wonder if Canada will change our limit to about $100, if they are using that amount "unofficially" anyway.  I don't know and haven't heard if Canada is looking seriously at making a change or if it just eBay hollering to get Canada to change it to benefit eBay.  

no pres.jpg

Message 18 of 69
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

I find the way that eBay is trying to barge into this political question offensive and threatening.  No doubt they'll get the signatures they're after because buyers will simply see that it's a way to pay less for something (anything) and they'll jump right on it.

The petition either shows how out of touch eBay is with what goes on at our level and/or eBay is looking out for eBay without no regard for "us".  Of course that makes sense, but when they try to change our laws it feels intrusive and not quite right because eBay has a lot of power.

recped posted above:   ""The current situation where front line officers of the CBSA use their own discretion as to which shipments are taxed and which are not is unfair. It leads to many cases where a shipment of modest value is taxed while the next shipment of much greater value is allowed to pass untaxed. The current situation in that regard is like allowing Canadian businesses to randomly exempt customers from GST/HST at the cash register."""

That practice of randomly collecting taxes makes it impossible to respond to this issue intelligently.  

Also, mj and others have pointed out that eBay is simply trying to get a boost for for the GSP and that's right on.

However, that also misses the point and shows how out of touch eBay is with the real world.  About a year ago the GSP simply stopped collecting import taxes.

I've done the math over and over and GSP charges simply do not add up.

I've been using the GSP regularly now because when sellers ship for free, the cost of shipping is usually within a dollar of two of First Class International shipping costs.

Not quite sure why more aren't questionning what's up with that?

I've not seen any evidence of that whatsoever. Could you give me an example of a listing where the shipping and "import charges" appear to be lower than they should?

Message 19 of 69
latest reply

Apparently eBay Canada has started the next step in promoting a higher de minimis. See today's eBay Canada announcement

https://announcements.ebay.ca/2017/01/11/7932/

Today, eBay Canada launched the next step in our ongoing efforts to encourage the Canadian government to increase our customs de minimis threshold: We have issued a call to Canadian eBay members to sign a letter to Finance Minister, Bill Morneau.

The customs de minimis threshold is the value above which goods shipped into Canada are assessed for duties and taxes. Canada’s threshold has been set at $20 for more than 30 years.

Please read the full announcement in the link above.

Message 20 of 69
latest reply