More "de minimis" maneuvering

Did anyone else get this sent to their private email?  Boy, they sure are persistent.  

sign letter.jpg

Message 1 of 69
latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

The fact that eBay is taking this so seriously suggests that the $20 de minims is actually working the way it's meant to work.  

It's incredibly annoying that eBay shows so little consideration for its Canadian sellers.  Raising the $20 limit can only hurt Canadian sellers who have already been having such a hard time attracting Canadian buyers.

Why send out a petition to make our jobs as sellers more difficult?

Message 21 of 69
latest reply

Because they are being slaughtered from fulfillment by the .ca and .com river

Message 22 of 69
latest reply

@recped wrote:

@sylviebee wrote:

I find the way that eBay is trying to barge into this political question offensive and threatening.  No doubt they'll get the  About a year ago the GSP simply stopped collecting import taxes.

I've not seen any evidence of that whatsoever. Could you give me an example of a listing where the shipping and "import charges" appear to be lower than they should?

Yes.  I've posted about this numerous times on the Buyer's Board and provided plenty of examples there as well.

Every listing I just checked for Antique Purses follows the same pattern.   There may be exceptions but  I couldn't find them when I just did a quick search.  When sellers have free shipping the GSP charge is usually about $16 - $18 for a standard size/weight purse regardless of item cost.

One example picked at random is 252721880040

For the example above (252721880040) taxes should be 13% in my Province = $29.77 and the entire GSP charge for that item is only $22.08.

That has to cover this sellers $9.95 shipping charge to the US hub, plus shipping from the Canadian hub to me, plus a handling fee.

This item was chosen at random and not because it stands out in any way.

One could argue that the import taxes get added at checkout but I've bought numerous GSP items and never once did that occur.  The charge has been just as stated every time.

I'm surprised you haven't been seeing the same thing.

Message 23 of 69
latest reply

here is what i get for that item

Shipping:
US $22.08 (approx. C $29.28) International Priority Shipping to Canada  | See details

Import charges:
US $50.86 (estimated and based on current bid

$10 of it is the shippers USA shipping.  Then enough for the gsp to send it here and the taxes.  looks right 
Message 24 of 69
latest reply

I see the same thing as Toby when I set the delivery destination to an Ontario postal code.  Sylvie, are you sure you weren't viewing the listing on the .com site where the "Import Charges" field doesn't show up on listing pages?

Purse.jpg

Message 25 of 69
latest reply

Yes, very obviously. Its why they are not asking everyone, just users they think are buyers.

No wonder I haven't got any of these emails. I rarely buy in EBay nowadays and when I do, it's usually for cheap gadgets under $20...

The only thing I got dinged import tax is a $200 blu-ray box set over the past 5+ years, shipped with EMS from Japan. Everything else I bought from Japan were usually $30-150 about 6-12 times a year.

Message 26 of 69
latest reply

That's very odd.  I assumed that everyone sees the same thing I do and none of the items I see have import charges, nor do they get added on at checkout time.

Message 27 of 69
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

That's very odd.  I assumed that everyone sees the same thing I do and none of the items I see have import charges, nor do they get added on at checkout time.

Instead of just the item number, can you post the whole link from the URL?  

Message 28 of 69
latest reply

@i.am.vivian wrote:

@sylviebee wrote:

Instead of just the item number, can you post the whole link from the URL?  

No.  Smiley Happy

I've often wondered why everyone was keeping quiet about this, but it hadn't occurred to me until just now that this is a glitch, and this is one glitch I don't want fixed.

Message 29 of 69
latest reply

I don't see what difference it would make to post the URL since you already posted the listing number and everyone in the world can see what the item is.  

I think people would just like to verify what you are saying.  Posting the URL won't alter a thing.  

Message 30 of 69
latest reply

Even a screen shot would be of some help, Sylvie.

Are you seeing "$0.00" for import charges, or is the import charges field completely missing?  I've seen some listings for "$0.00" in import charges as well, and some of those were listings you brought to our attention in other threads, but it sounds as though what you're seeing in this particular listing might be a different kettle of fish.

Message 31 of 69
latest reply

I too see $22.08 shipping and 50.86 import charges when viewed on ebay.ca.  But when viewed on ebay.com, I see the same as sylvie:

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 12.46.38 PM.png

Message 32 of 69
latest reply

If it was fixed price you'd see the same import fee as soon as its added to the cart.  For that auction you'll still pay it when you checkout

Message 33 of 69
latest reply

@maggiebvintage2010 wrote:

I too see $22.08 shipping and 50.86 import charges when viewed on ebay.ca.  But when viewed on ebay.com, I see the same as sylvie

Interesting.  When look at the listing on dotCOM signed in with this ID I see the exact same $30.11 charge as I do when I look at it signed in on Canada

antique purse.jpg

Message 34 of 69
latest reply

I wonder if, buying from the dotCOM site, if there was a BIN, and the listing showed no charges like that, would that person be able to buy through without.  That obviously wouldn't work for me, I'd be paying the $30 just like it shows. 

Message 35 of 69
latest reply

I just logged out, tried logging in with a different browser, got the same view as 'maggie' without any charges showing, but when I pretended to place a bid, there's that same $30.11.  

The buyer does not see it at first, and may not until after the bid is placed or even at checkout.  No wonder they don't like it.  

place bid.jpg

Message 36 of 69
latest reply

It's been like that for a while on .com where it won't show the import charge until added to cart although it doesn't seem to be consistent every time.  It would be annoying as heck going back and forth trying to decide on which item to buy and then when you make a decision you find out that it costs more than you thought it would.  

I rarely look at auctions though so didn't know how it worked on those.

Message 37 of 69
latest reply

@i.am.vivian wrote:

I just logged out, tried logging in with a different browser, got the same view as 'maggie' without any charges showing, but when I pretended to place a bid, there's that same $30.11.  

The buyer does not see it at first, and may not until after the bid is placed or even at checkout.  No wonder they don't like it.  

place bid.jpg

Not only that but when you view the listing or click the bid note that the screen says "approximate", when you get to checkout the amount can and often does change. So when you confirm your bid amount few people realize that it doesn't apply to the Import Charges which can still increase when you actually get to checkout. This increase will always happen if you place a proxy bid which is later raised by other bidders. While eBay gives a notice of this in the white block I imagine many buyers don't notice this.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 38 of 69
latest reply

The GSP is poorly designed in so many ways!

Message 39 of 69
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

The GSP is poorly designed in so many ways!

Do you think we will be saying the same thing about this new "authentication" service?

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 40 of 69
latest reply