NO option for light packet to the USA on Paypal label????

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am HOPING this is a one off/glitch but for the first time in 15 years of printing labels off of Paypal, the drop down bar did NOT offer light packet as an option - it was totally missing.

I plugged in the dimensions (25"x10"x2"  -- 70 grams) as I have a million times before, but was only offered XpressPost, Expedited, Small Packet Air & Surface to the US - the light packet option would not appear!!

Not about to pay the 0-250g Small Packet rate for some flat fingernail dangles, so I am forced to send these out manually with a whack load of stamps and green customs sticker -- but the point is WHY has Canada Post taken this option away?????  I know it has never been offered when printing labels off the CP website directly (which is fine) but Ebay linked Paypal has always had this.

Anyone else experienced this??? I actually hope not and this is just a one off glitch with me - what a not great thing to happen!!!

Rant is now over!

Message 1 of 63
latest reply
62 REPLIES 62

Re: NO option for light packet to the USA on Paypal label????

If you use Light Packet and want to do it at home and drop off the packets in the nearest mail box, I have a solution.

Go to the Post Office and get those customs declaration stickers mentioned above.

While you are there, ask the clerk about prepaid, gummed postage labels.

She may know them as 'postage stamps'.

Buy an assortment in the values you use most often.

When you have to ship a Light Packet, put the value of postage on to the package along with the buyer's address and the customs declaration.

Drop in mailbox.

If you want a discount, you can buy mint Canadian postage at a discount here on eBay. It would be self-serving to say from whom.

Message 21 of 63
latest reply

Thanks again more work to manually fill out customs and you would have to put a bunch of stamps they can't sell the printed postage labels to leave the building. We are for the most part just **bleep**in
Message 22 of 63
latest reply

@the-dart-guy wrote:
Thanks again more work to manually fill out customs and you would have to put a bunch of stamps they can't sell the printed postage labels to leave the building. ...

Stamps can be bought at a DISCOUNT online, at auctions, from stamp dealers, (or even Shoppers when they have 10% off stamp sale).

But if you prefer to buy labels online, then switch to small packet.

USA price comparisons:

0-250g

* $ 8.61 - Small Packet (over the counter)
* $ 8.49 - Small Packet (PayPal, Canada Post EST)
* $ 7.22 - Small Packet (Canada Post Snap Ship until July 31)
* $ 7.05 - Small Packet (eBay.ca via Shippo)

251-500g

* $11.29 - Small Packet (over the counter)
* $11.15 - Small Packet (PayPal, Canada Post EST)
* $ 9.48 - Small Packet (Canada Post Snap Ship until July 31)
* $ 9.25 - Small Packet (eBay.ca via Shippo)

-..-

Message 23 of 63
latest reply

The problem is that Light Packet labels were such a wonderfully efficient and simple way for many of us to save money on small parcels and save time on preparing them.  Light Packet was particularly cost-saving for certain weight categories and U.S. or overseas destinations  

Also, most of the Light Packet labels I used to do were for items that sold in the $15-20 range.  The less time I need to spend on filling out forms manually and sticking on stamps for such sales, the better.  

While it's nice that we have the temporary cost break on Shippo for Small Packet, once that disappears I'll be very sorry. 

Message 24 of 63
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

The problem is that Light Packet labels were such a wonderfully efficient and simple way for many of us to save money on small parcels and save time on preparing them.  Light Packet was particularly cost-saving for certain weight categories and U.S. or overseas destinations  

Also, most of the Light Packet labels I used to do were for items that sold in the $15-20 range.  The less time I need to spend on filling out forms manually and sticking on stamps for such sales, the better.  

While it's nice that we have the temporary cost break on Shippo for Small Packet, once that disappears I'll be very sorry. 

Just a few years ago, Light Packet USA and International were very inexpensive compared to Small Packet. In 2011, Light Packet USA was $2.36 per 100 grams with Small Packet USA Air 250 grams was $7.46 (Surface was $5.85!)

Today the price of Light Packet is close to Small Packet rates and is more expensive in some weight breaks. Canada Post is deliberately making Light Packet expensive to discourage its use. So the loss of Light Packet on shipping services like PayPal and Shippo is not as big a deal today. Next year the slight savings in Light Packet in some weight breaks will most likely be even less. Obviously with the large rate increases and not supporting it in shipping platforms, Canada Post is phasing out Light Packet.

Too bad. With discount postage stamps bought at 60% or 70% of face value without sales tax too, sellers could ship Light Packet USA 100 grams in 2011 for well under $2 in postage costs. I could sell small items (no cost for these old items I got for free) for $5 CDN with free shipping back them and make close to $3 clear after fees. Light Packet USA made Canadian sellers competitive with US sellers using USPS. And Light Packet USA was/is very reliable.

Message 25 of 63
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

Too bad. With discount postage stamps bought at 60% or 70% of face value without sales tax too, sellers could ship Light Packet USA 100 grams in 2011 for well under $2 in postage costs. I could sell small items (no cost for these old items I got for free) for $5 CDN with free shipping back them and make close to $3 clear after fees. Light Packet USA made Canadian sellers competitive with US sellers using USPS. And Light Packet USA was/is very reliable. 

Exactly, I agree completely.  "Competitive" being the operative word.  

With the recent 25% higher store fees, HST on fees, almost 25% hike in international shipping rates 2 years ago, and the phase-out of Light Packet, selling relatively inexpensive items on eBay is becoming a big challenge.  It's not easy to continue to absorb even small hikes in shipping costs when the majority of what I sell is in the $15-30 range.  Despite the narrowing difference in price between Small and Light Packet, there comes a point where the cost of the shipping outweighs the point of selling such items.  Since I've always "subsidized" my buyers' shipping, every extra dollar in cost matters.  

When Light Packet is gone completely, and the Shippo promotional discounts end on Small Packet next year, I'm going to be very unhappy.  The main line of patterns I sell relied over the years on inexpensive Light Packet rates, especially to the USA.  I'm not looking forward with much optimism to 2018. Smiley Sad

Message 26 of 63
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can use your smartphone now, like you I will miss light packet.....can find at Customs form online Canada Post, fill in online, transfer bar code to phone and show at Post Office.......going to try......https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/cdc?execution=e1s1

Message 27 of 63
latest reply

Internet selling for cheaper items that can't go letter mail, will slowly disappear from all on line selling sites.

If postage continues to rise the way it has over the last few years, and Ebay takes their cut on it, and then we are taxed on top of that as well, Canadians will quit selling on Ebay except for newer more expensive merchandise.

The collector's market is not good as it is and with all the other changes, many of us are getting to the point that Ebay will no longer work.

Paying store fees and  Auctiva every month for a lot of work and less and less return is getting very tiring for an old guy.

Oh, I forgot, that is exactly what Ebay wants. Get rid of the sellers that are not big box stores, or mega sellers, and those from overseas (won't mention country).

Other sites are doing the same only charging a minimum fee per item. Delcampe just raised their fees from 5.5% to 7.5% and charge per item from 18¢ to 40¢ for basic sellers. Bonanza charges 50¢ per sale minimum.

No one wants the cheaper items which take up a lot of bandwidth, time, problems, etc. How many sellers  that survive over the next few years will be interesting.

I for one am starting to do more on my own websites and some other sites slowly (where I can list for free) as I can't see Ebay working for me due to fees and micro managing by Ebay getting out of hand and escalating rapidly. I have been here for 18 years and these are my opinions for the future.

This is not a witch, but stating what I see happening to a lot of smaller sellers that have been here for a long time.

Message 28 of 63
latest reply

Free listing is fine, but since the site has to cover its costs (and preferably make a profit for its owners) the offset will be at the other end.

I guess the only way to decide which site is best for you is to look at your cost per month for listing, selling, and shipping from that site and divide it by the number and value of sales from that site.

Whether you pay upfront or on the backend is no more important in the long run than whether our buyers pay price + shipping or shipping included in price.

I liked Bonanza but sales were so low they became an annoyance interrupting the steadier flow of eBay and website sales. Etsy was too expensive for the number of sales and listing was a pain.

Message 29 of 63
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

Internet selling for cheaper items that can't go letter mail, will slowly disappear from all on line selling sites.

Even then one has to look at where the UPU is heading with trying to eliminate the sending of physical goods with mail services traditionally intended for lettermai/non-physical goods. I don't think it is any coincidence that the minimizing/apparent phasing out of light packet coincides with that rollout as it falls in the exact lettermail/packet weight class the UPU mandates prohibit using for physical goods. There's been a pivot towards moving everything to parcel services intended for physical goods, where we have seen a steady uptick in costs over the last couple of years. With the amount of postal volume these days and terminal dues still based upon what are largely lettermail rates, postage costs for those parcel services are bearing the brunt of shoring up that shortfall. Between these changes I concur that you are going to see pressure on the sales of lower value goods, particularly for international sales where the UPU changes come into play.

Message 30 of 63
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Free listing is fine, but since the site has to cover its costs (and preferably make a profit for its owners) the offset will be at the other end.

I guess the only way to decide which site is best for you is to look at your cost per month for listing, selling, and shipping from that site and divide it by the number and value of sales from that site.

Whether you pay upfront or on the backend is no more important in the long run than whether our buyers pay price + shipping or shipping included in price.

I liked Bonanza but sales were so low they became an annoyance interrupting the steadier flow of eBay and website sales. Etsy was too expensive for the number of sales and listing was a pain.

Ebid has free listing, free stores, and only 2% to sell but has very little traffic.

Your own website is not free either, but at least you are not micro manged into oblivion. I have had 2 for almost 10 years and they have slowed as well for collectibles, but I don't pay a store fee, I don't pay a listing fee, I don't pay a 3rd party to list fee.

They do however need to be maintained. One of my sites has bee on the forst page on Google since I started it. If the market has deteriorated, even that does not good.

Ebay used to have good sales so their cost was OK. Now they have raised store fees, raised FVF's, and taxing it all, and sales have also tanked does not bode well.

Not sure how long these types of posts will be here before they get removed but so what.

Message 31 of 63
latest reply

Having been a seller on both Bonanza & Etsy for several years, totally agree with you, femmefan1946. For me, there was never sufficient sales from either of those sites to justify keeping listings there; so I recently closed up shop on both those venues. Still have listings on eCrater as that site is free to list and the listings are picked up by Google, so I still have an online presence when listings are not on eBay....

Message 32 of 63
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

You can use your smartphone now, like you I will miss light packet.....can find at Customs form online Canada Post, fill in online, transfer bar code to phone and show at Post Office.......going to try......https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/cdc?execution=e1s1

*If* you have a smart phone. I don't. So I have to print the bar code every time (cost money - paper and ink is not free). I must be an exception (or a dinosaur <grin>), I know, but I don't want to become obsessed with my phone like so many people I know. LOL!

Message 33 of 63
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

*If* you have a smart phone. I don't. So I have to print the bar code every time (cost money - paper and ink is not free). I must be an exception (or a dinosaur <grin>), I know, but I don't want to become obsessed with my phone like so many people I know. LOL!

Could always get an android phone. Depending on the apps and hardware you are using, the headaches can be so bad that developing an obsession with your phone is borderline impossible.

Message 34 of 63
latest reply

IT'S that simple if you still want light packet then you have to go back to the old way and write up the padded mailer and write up the customs..for me light packet $6.81 .....shippo small packet air $7.05...after the new year if the discounts go away then for $2 difference I will do it the old way..So far no one at the post office knows anything about them discontinuing Light Packet...But like some of you above..some products I only make $1 on..it is a courtesy to carry the very little profit stuff to bring in and repeat business..But at some point the shipping is too much and the work is the same to pack up a $100 item with a little more profit...There is definitely a line and once we are pass it and it is not profitable ..might just as well pack it up..Ebay wants the big stuff they better accommodate the little stuff too....

Message 35 of 63
latest reply

Oh something else  Canadian to Canadian  check your Expedited Parcel prices from Shippo..I find that just printing the Label from Paypal is a little cheaper...They will likely take that away soon

Message 36 of 63
latest reply

@the-dart-guy wrote:

Oh something else  Canadian to Canadian  check your Expedited Parcel prices from Shippo..I find that just printing the Label from Paypal is a little cheaper...They will likely take that away soon

PayPal has a special discount until July 31 for Expedited Parcel, then it goes back to your Solutions for Small Business regular discount.

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Shipping-in-Canada-eBay-Shippo-vs-Snap-Ship-vs-PayPal/m-p...

-..-

Message 37 of 63
latest reply

Yes, I received a promo card in the mail this week touting the new Paypal/CPC "team" and the extra 15% discount.

It seems this is a permanent collaboration between Paypal and CPC.  What's interesting to me about this is that I recall  the eBay Canada reps told us categorically a few weeks (months?) ago that Paypal was getting out of the shipping label business entirely.  Apparently not.  I suppose they just found a better partner.    

Message 38 of 63
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Yes, I received a promo card in the mail this week touting the new Paypal/CPC "team" and the extra 15% discount.

It seems this is a permanent collaboration between Paypal and CPC.  What's interesting to me about this is that I recall  the eBay Canada reps told us categorically a few weeks (months?) ago that Paypal was getting out of the shipping label business entirely.  Apparently not.  I suppose they just found a better partner.    

PayPal did get out of the business of special rate labels (eBay Light Packet and parcel rate discounts).

The rates for the PayPal/CPC agreement are based on what the individual PayPal seller can get with their Solutions for Small Business membership.

If you sign into the Canada Post website with your SfSB account -- the dashboard will show recent online shipments (including those bought through PayPal or Shippo).

-..-

Message 39 of 63
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

PayPal did get out of the business of special rate labels (eBay Light Packet and parcel rate discounts).

The rates for the PayPal/CPC agreement are based on what the individual PayPal seller can get with their Solutions for Small Business membership.

I thought I read that PayPal was going to offer the same discounts for SFSB members as Snap Ship .... for a limited time.  Perhaps I was wrong and it's Shippo that is offering the same discount as Snap Ship.  The last few labels I have done (Small Packet USA Air) were purchased on Snap Ship because they were a couple of dollars less than PayPal.   With respect to Shippo -- I'm waiting until I hear that things are running smoothly.  I reviewed it when it first arrived .... attempted to create a couple of labels and got annoyed.  I'm already spending far too much time on keeping my listings viable; I don't need to spend an afternoon (a nice summer afternoon) trying to purchase three labels on Shippo.

Could someone please confirm who is offering the 15% discount right now in addition to Snap Ship.

Thanks.

Message 40 of 63
latest reply