Need Help - Funds on hold because I don't have tracking details, but I can't get any

ashmadd-30
Community Member

Recently shipped off a Nintendo Switch game to a buyer, and since the package was so tiny for the game, it was going through Canada Post lettermail. The shipping was decently cheap, but they wanted another $20 for the tracking number, which I said no to because that's ridiculous and I personally think a tracking number should always be free. So here I am with no tracking number, I marked my item as shipped and sent a picture of me sending the guy's package off at Canada Post as proof and asked him to keep me updated on if it has been delievered or not. He doesn't seem to ever be replying to what I'm saying, but my question is:

I literally can't get a tracking number, so when will my funds be released? It says they will be held until delivery can be confirmed, but there is no tracking number for the package I sent off!! Is there a way I can mark it as delivered, when will I get my funds?

I am a new seller and this is ridiculous.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Need Help - Funds on hold because I don't have tracking details, but I can't get any

You are out $20.

The only protection a seller has in Not Received claims is that tracking number.

You outsmarted yourself.

Sometimes the cheap way is the expensive way.

and asked him to keep me updated on if it has been delievered or not.

So you signalled the customer that you would be unable to prove delivery?

Uh huh.

Don't do that.

You now have to wait until the normal 21 day Hold pending customer satisfaction, or until the customer leaves feedback.

And then a few more days before the payment is transferred to your bank account.

Was that worth $20?

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

One of the tricks of the eBay game is that we get discounts on some parcel rates by signing up for a Solutions for Small Business account.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/business/small-business.page?

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

I may be misreading things but at this point you aren't out anything yet.

Assuming it is the $60 game, I can understand not upgrading shipping to tracking.

The buyer not responding is not uncommon and doesn't necessarily mean anything dishonest is happening. (Do not pester the buyer that greatly increases the chances of problems).

Because there's no tracking it just means longer patience will be required before eBay releases the funds, nothing is lost at this point. (I can't remember if it is 21 days or I thought I saw someone say 30 days somewhere).

Being a new seller means there's lots to learn. One can spend many hours reading the ebay documentation which isn't always accurate/up to date, or one can learn by doing which is what most of us have done.

Finding this discussion board is probably the best thing you've done, you can see what kinds of things people are experiencing here, and you can ask questions as you've done.

The only caveat is that please keep in mind these boards are where all the PROBLEMS get talked about, it can bend our brain to think everythings broken and all customers are criminals which is not the case.

Over time you'll have to figure out what things do/n't work in your category(s) in terms of selling and managing the risk factor etc.

Unfortately in the current ebay world, patience for new sellers is a requirement, it is for good reason(s) but it is frustrating nonetheless.

Hang in there, hopefully everything will work out good in the end....

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

I may be misreading things but at this point you aren't out anything yet.

Assuming it is the $60 game, I can understand not upgrading shipping to tracking.

The buyer not responding is not uncommon and doesn't necessarily mean anything dishonest is happening. (Do not pester the buyer that greatly increases the chances of problems).

Because there's no tracking it just means longer patience will be required before eBay releases the funds, nothing is lost at this point. (I can't remember if it is 21 days or I thought I saw someone say 30 days somewhere).

Being a new seller means there's lots to learn. One can spend many hours reading the ebay documentation which isn't always accurate/up to date, or one can learn by doing which is what most of us have done.

Finding this discussion board is probably the best thing you've done, you can see what kinds of things people are experiencing here, and you can ask questions as you've done.

The only caveat is that please keep in mind these boards are where all the PROBLEMS get talked about, it can bend our brain to think everythings broken and all customers are criminals which is not the case.

Over time you'll have to figure out what things do/n't work in your category(s) in terms of selling and managing the risk factor etc.

Unfortately in the current ebay world, patience for new sellers is a requirement, it is for good reason(s) but it is frustrating nonetheless.

Hang in there, hopefully everything will work out good in the end....

@ashmadd-30 

Another flag besides tracked and confirmed delivery is a buyer leaving feedback. I realize a longshot at best but you can try to be optimistic. I've run across a few new sellers as of late that have been told this in chat and it was the trigger to having funds released. It can be a few days after those things happen before the money wheel starts to spin.

-Lotz

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

In the future, as an alternative to more expensive parcel tracking:

For Canada Post lettermail you can spend $9.75 more and upgrade to Registered Mail which does have a tracking number.

So the question is:

How long does a new Seller have to wait, when they ship an untracked item, before they get paid?

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold/pending-payments?id=4816

The help file seems to say 21 days for new/infrequent sellers.

tyler@ebay 

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

In the future, as an alternative to more expensive parcel tracking:

For Canada Post lettermail you can spend $9.75 more and upgrade to Registered Mail which does have a tracking number.

So the question is:

How long does a new Seller have to wait, when they ship an untracked item, before they get paid?

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold/pending-payments?id=4816

The help file seems to say 21 days for new/infrequent sellers.

tyler@ebay 

These 2 discussions address it but still could be considered up to interpretation. One agent being flexible...Another sticking to letter of the law and variations there of. See comments also.

Funds on Hold - The eBay Canada Community

Is holding funds a new thing? - The eBay Canada Community

-Lotz

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Although I have not yet signed up for MP, after nearly a year off from selling, hubby did  and we recognize the fact that now considered new/casual seller there will be the payment holds,etc.

So a few weeks back sold an item that was USA bound and Tracked Packet was used as the shipping method.Our experience was thus: even WITH TRACKING, it was about 3 weeks AFTER the item had been successfully delivered, that funds were depoisted to bank account.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

You should refund the order before the deadline in the INR case.

If you do not do this, the buyer will be able to ask eBay to step in. eBay will automatically refund them. You will receive a defect from eBay, this can hurt your standing as a seller.

The same result happens, which is the buyer receives the refund. The difference is, if you do it yourself, you don't get the defect. 

From there, you can communicate with the buyer. Tell them to let you know when the item arrives, so that you can arrange for them to re-pay you for the item. The easiest way to do this is to exchange Paypal information. This is not against eBay policy, as you have already engaged in a transaction with the buyer. Alternatively, you can create a generic listing called "Private listing for _____" that is for the exact same amount. If you send them the link, they can pay you back through purchasing the generic private listing. 

An important thing to do is to click on the buyer's profile. Click on both 'feedback received as a buyer' and 'feedback left for others'.  Buyers cannot receive negative feedback, but they can receive positive feedback with negative comments. Feedback buyers leave for sellers can also tip you off about the buyer. If you see lots of buyer feedback stating they said the item didn't come, or lots of feedback left for sellers with comments that dictate there was an issue, it might be a problem buyer. If you see a lot of feedback like this, it might be worth calling eBay and asking them to walk you through reporting the buyer. eBay does take action from time to time on buyers who open a high amount of INR cases, but sellers have to report them. You shouldn't just report every buyer who opens an INR, but if a buyer has a very high percentage of feedback stating they opened an INR, it is worth looking into. It is very unlikely that this will result in anything happening with the case, but it is still worth doing.

Which shipping option do you have in the listing? This is important to know because all the shipping options have different shipping windows. A lot of INRs are caused by people using the lettermail shipping option which states an item will arrive in 8 or so business days. Lettermail sometimes takes 2-3 weeks to arrive. If the buyer was able to open a case within a week or two of the purchase, there is a higher chance that the item genuinely hasn't arrived yet. That doesn't mean it is lost, lettermail almost never gets lost. Only that they looked at the shipping window, thought their item should be there by now, and that is what triggered the case. 

The most important thing is to understand there isn't really anything you can do other than provide good customer service, and hope the claim is genuine. That way, your account stays defect free, and when the item does eventually arrive the person is likely to pay you back. Yes, there are people who use INRs to scam sellers, but because you don't have any legitimate recourse there is no benefit to assuming someone is a scammer in this situation. It isn't like an item not described return or something else, where you can protect yourself by being vigilant. 

In short:
-Refund by deadline.

-Politely ask buyer to contact you when the item arrives to re-pay.

-Exchange Paypal info or create a private listing for them to repay you.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

For Registered Mail -- it's fine within Canada but there is no tracking outside our borders.

And the $9.75 is in addition to the basic cost of shipping.

Since within Canada Regular Parcel starts around $12 there may be no real benefit.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

always use tracking and pass the costs on to the buyer.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

ZOMBIE thread from 2021!

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

18 years on ebay , dozens of sales this year , all my payments 200 dollars and up are placed on hold... some hols last even after the items were received... 

this originated from a single not received item dispute closed by a  buyer in S Korea one week after purchase and closed  after having received the item... 

this is ridiculous  ! 

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Rather than latching on to a Zombie Thread, you'd get better advice by starting your own.

Since you have nearly 100 sales in the past six months, eBay should have given you a reason when Managed Payments started Holding your payments.

You may also find relief by contacting eBay (not the phone reps who work for a sub-contractor in Utah).

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.
https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply