New Customs process at PO

I was there yesterday and they did not say anything. Today, a handout: Sending a parcel to the US or internationally?

Says to visit canadapost.ca/customs

I "think" all parcels will now have to have a barcode. Those barcodes small packet has been showing since last July? They now seem to have a reason. Customs scanning.

If you do not have this barcode walking in, for now, it is free. Starting in the fall the code is $2 EXTRA. Buying postage at the counter, yer gonna get hammered. They want volume mailers doing this at home.

Photobucket
Message 1 of 67
latest reply
66 REPLIES 66

Re: New Customs process at PO

All very interesting as I printed labels this morning without a HS code.

My PO is one of the test POs for the new system, I asked today.

I am going to make my own list of codes so I do not get jammed up. The information has always been optional on Paypal shipping. Interesting how it all comes together.

There are going to be a lot of angry folks, this fall, when they have to start paying $2 for a six digit number.
Photobucket
Message 21 of 67
latest reply

When it comes out on the label, does it show as (odds) 4911.91 or does it show as PO entered it as 491191? (pjcd) 4202.32 or does it show as 420232 like you entered it? (I am asking because I'm a stuck with the paper forms kinda guy and I would rather print 970400 instead of 9704.00 on the fear that someone somewhere thinks the value is $9704.00 instead of the value that is typed in the value box.....)
Message 22 of 67
latest reply

It shows on the label as 491191, no period.

I generated small package late last night without HS Code but this afternoon it requires HS Code and also we have to identify the originating province, which is also new.

Message 23 of 67
latest reply

I didn't even look to see what the number looked like on the label and the package is gone now. 

Message 24 of 67
latest reply

originating province...Was that on the CP site? I didn't see anything like that on Paypal but triber just posted that she was being asked for the province on a TP label. Is it the originating province?

Message 25 of 67
latest reply

Hi guys, sorry if I'm asking a dumb question... I just got really confused by the HS code stuff you guys were talking about.

If I have to mail small packet next month (I haven't used it for almost a year) does it mean I have to fill out extra forms at the Post Office, or I have to go to Canada Post's website to do the paperwork instead?

Message 26 of 67
latest reply

Duh..ignore my dumb question in the last part of my post.

It does seem odd though that they would ask for the originating province when that would be the same as the return address.

Message 27 of 67
latest reply

The way it is set up now on a small packet, the only extra thing you have to do is go to the CP website and get a HS code and that is entered on the label.

Message 28 of 67
latest reply

Odds THX for the update, - Awesome, so I'll just put mine on going forward without the period, that will help avoid any confusion!
Message 29 of 67
latest reply

Well, I guess I won't panic.... just yet. I sell fabrics as well as patterns and just tried to find the HS code for some cotton fabric going to the US and manufactured in the US. They want to know things like is it woven or non-woven, is it roving, how many filaments to the inch, and other terms I've never heard of. Plus it depends on the weight of the item. I have no idea (well of course I know the weight) what to answer and if I can't I don't expect the post office to be able to, since you have to be able to answer the questions. Now I see why they need to charge $2.00 to look it up!

If any helpful person could look up the number for Cotton Fabric, weight under 200 grams, going to the US and made in the US, I would appreciate it. I need a consensus.

Message 30 of 67
latest reply

Hmmm... I guess graphic novels would be 490199 then since it doesn't fit anywhere else other than the "other" category under "books, brochures & similar printed matter" lol.

I tried this website to look up HS codes.

http://www.foreign-trade.com/reference/hscode.htm

@pjcdn2005: I think I read somewhere in this thread that the small packet label changed the last few months? The labels i got at home now were probably over 1 year ago. It's the CN22 form 43-074-252 (10-04)... are they outdated now or can I still use them and just write 490199 beside the item description? Back then I always wrote "used comic books" and the declared value, and never had a problem (or at least no buyer told me they had a problem)...

@vintagenorth: Wow, I tried looking up cotton on that website and it's a super long confusing list! I hope someone can find what you need for you!

Thanks for clarifying!

Message 31 of 67
latest reply

@pjcdn2005: I think I read somewhere in this thread that the small packet label changed the last few months? The labels i got at home now were probably over 1 year ago. It's the CN22 form 43-074-252 (10-04)... are they outdated now or can I still use them and just write 490199 beside the item description? Back then I always wrote "used comic books" and the declared value, and never had a problem (or at least no buyer told me they had a problem)..

I don't know if they are outdated. The small packet label now has a scan code so if you print a label through Paypal or CP then that's all you need. But if you are going to the post office to pay for postage, it sounds as if you will need them to print some sort of scan code (according to the original post) so you might not need the CN22.

But if a person just drops the package in a mail box with a CN22 form and no scan code, I wonder how they will handle that.

Message 32 of 67
latest reply

Hello,

I was just at the PO now and I asked about the new rules coming and they no nothing about it as of yet so are there just test areas they are trying and when does it go in to affect over all. They do are afraid of loosing more business  after the increase in stamps takes affect in April. plus this

Message 33 of 67
latest reply

I hope this isn`t something permanent , if it is i`m out to shipping from the U.S.A

Much cheaper,

On top of Canada post raising the rates making it close to impossible to compete with the U.S.A ,China , etc etc sellers

We now have to waste more time finding and  filling in a HS code.

What about those who ship a few hundred items a day or per week.

Message 34 of 67
latest reply

I just looked up cotton fabric at it looks like the code you are looking for is :  701940

Message 35 of 67
latest reply

Oh great, I'd better have another look then, for cotton fabric, I came up with 520851 for under 100 gms. in weight, and 520852 for 101 to 200 gms.

Message 36 of 67
latest reply

I do not think the exact code is that important. Codes will help speed things up, not slow them down. Most of what we are selling is under their $$ limit anyway.
Photobucket
Message 37 of 67
latest reply

vintage north helpfully posted this to another thread

I found a government site that actually made it a lot easier to find my correct HS codes:

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/cid-dic.nsf/eng/00011.html

Then go to the left side and "Search by Product"

At the very least it confirmed what I had found on other sites.

Paper sewing pattern HS code 491199 (Paper, printed matter, other)

Cotton fabric woven under 100 gms weight 520851

Cotton fabric woven 101 to 200 gms weight 520852

If anyone thinks my choices are really incorrect, please let me know.

Thanks vintage

Message 38 of 67
latest reply

Thanks for posting it here, reallynicestamps! I'm never sure if I should start a new post or add on to one.

I also found the HS for Transfers (the paper ones that you iron on to fabric):  490890

Of course, I first had to google the word "vitrifiable" to see if my transfers should go under vitrifiable or non-vitrifiable! I guess I should have paid more attention in my high-school English!

What I found nice about that site is that if you keep clicking on the little boxes on the right hand side one of them will take you to a page that shows the names of the importers for that item. For fabric two of the names were Fabricland and Michaels so I thought I was pretty safe using the 520851 for my fabric.

Message 39 of 67
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Where do you get about having to pya $2.00 for 6 numbers??

Message 40 of 67
latest reply