New (No) Views - is really deflating/demotivating

It is probably good that the views we see are actual views, however, makes me want to give up selling.  April / May low sales, now low views.  Definately not going to buy any more inventory.  Will have to reconsider what I am selling now, prices, description, etc. 

What about you?

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

My sales have always dropped in May (for the last 5 years or so) but this year are a lot lower than usual. Seeing all those 0 views is disheartening though.

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

Viewers view

Watchers watch

Buyers buy.

It is useful to compare current sales with earlier years (and not as some do with last week or last month) because there are ebbs and flows in retail.

And of course, we are coming off two explosive years of pandemic buying.

But eBay's last quarterly report spoke of a 17% drop across the board in transactions.

So it's not you.

We can make offers to Watchers now and that might help.

I haven't tried it myself yet, because all my products are "long tail". I sold a book the other day from a consignor and can't figure out how to pay him, because he is dead.

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

Well I can tell you there is something wrong with the counts right now.  It shows 0 views on an item and I sold one of two.  So you can't trust the views at all, well that is just great.  Might as well not count them at all.   It sold almost 1 hour ago.  

sold 1 view wrong.jpg

sold 1.jpg

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

I have noticed some stuff!!

I did "sell similar" on a bunch of items, It has 0 views but watchers (almost immediatley) and I was able to send the "offers to buyers"out within about a hour after listing. 

sell similar.jpg

So is a person who was watching the item before I ended it and then clicked sell similar having the item added to their watch list for them? Kind of how Relist used to work? Since I think I read soemthing recently on here that relist was having weird issues?

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

Same here...I have a bidder on item with no views!?!?! Not sure why someone would bid on something they haven't seen, but obviously I'm not alone! Bizarro world!

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

The things you are seeing are likely because the Views doesn't update as fast as some of the other things

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 7 of 25
latest reply

Yes, there is definitely a lag. You are right, I see the views showing now (a few hours after the bid!)

Better late than never! :😁 All is not how it originally seems!

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

I don't think views matter when you're selling relatively to a niche market. 

People don't really window shop for lower value media. They decide one day, I want x cd by y band, search it in eBay, and buy whichever appears to be the best value (placement in the best match, overall price, shipping time, condition, likelihood of the seller being truthful about the condition based on pictures and reputation, etc). 

Media has a long turnover time, because even with nearly 400 million people between Canada and the United States, there probably are only a handful who search for a specific out of print or older DVD or CD each month. When they search, they aren't clicking on every listing. You're placement in the best match, and overall sales relative to the amount of items you have available are a much better indication of how well you're doing. 

It makes complete sense to me that a DVD or CD can have 0-5 views. It will still sell. If you have lots of views for those types of items without converting a sale, that's probably a greater problem than having almost no views. That means those people clicked on the listing, and even after choosing to click on it, they went through the trouble of backing out and looking for someone else because something about the listing or terms wasn't to their liking. 

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

@ilikehockeyjerseys wrote:

I don't think views matter when you're selling relatively to a niche market. 

People don't really window shop for lower value media. They decide one day, I want x cd by y band, search it in eBay, and buy whichever appears to be the best value (placement in the best match, overall price, shipping time, condition, likelihood of the seller being truthful about the condition based on pictures and reputation, etc). 

Media has a long turnover time, because even with nearly 400 million people between Canada and the United States, there probably are only a handful who search for a specific out of print or older DVD or CD each month. When they search, they aren't clicking on every listing. You're placement in the best match, and overall sales relative to the amount of items you have available are a much better indication of how well you're doing. 

It makes complete sense to me that a DVD or CD can have 0-5 views. It will still sell. If you have lots of views for those types of items without converting a sale, that's probably a greater problem than having almost no views. That means those people clicked on the listing, and even after choosing to click on it, they went through the trouble of backing out and looking for someone else because something about the listing or terms wasn't to their liking. 

Exactly why being able to see the last 30 days is valuable, I have lots of long tail listings with hundreds or thousands of views (probably lots of 'bot view included) but up until this change I would not know if the views were from a year ago or two years ago. Now I can see, oh 2000 views since listed 2 years ago but only 2 views in the last 30/60/90 days.

To really understand what is going on one needs to consider all the metrics, impressions, click through and conversion (the latter more for multi-quantity listings).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 10 of 25
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

It is probably good that the views we see are actual views, however, makes me want to give up selling.  April / May low sales, now low views.  Definately not going to buy any more inventory.  Will have to reconsider what I am selling now, prices, description, etc. 

What about you?

Views/Watchers means eyes...and traffic. Folks seeing your stuff. Are any of the stats accurate? Who knows? Would have been better to let sellers choose the window they want to see from hub and to make views column sortable. Like many mentioned when there was a discussion on dot com about wanted improvements to Sellers Hub.

-Lotz

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

What about you?

@musicyouneed 

From Dot com. 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Should-eBay-Waive-May-Store-Subscription-Fees-Due-to-Botched/m...

~~~~~>

Post 1 from eBay eBay Community team. Too bad these types of eBay official announcements don't apper on ca.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Updates-are-happening-to-some-item-specifics-and-category/m-p/...

During this transition, your listing experience could be temporarily impacted, as well as the visibility of your listings.  You may notice some item specifics changing names, listings moved to different categories, or some listings temporarily not appearing in searches. 

I've had another seller mention that there are reports on Facebook about issues with drops in sales and sellers being advised it was caused by eBay technical issues. Possibly all of this tied together (Item specifics/Category changes/view counts) are what is causing many sellers from having a sudden drop off the cliff in sales.

-Lotz

Correction: Announcement is on dot ca. Post is not open to comments.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Announcements/Updates-are-happening-to-some-item-specifics-and-category...

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

What about you?

Well, I always had a strange feeling seeing some of my items had 7950 views and no sale. Now I know, it was phony traffic - and I feel definitely better!   

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies 

All that screaming is about the Category and Item Specifics changes that just kicked in (announced months ago). It happens every time there is a Category overhaul.

Thing is...the OP does not sell in the Categories that have changed, he sells mostly in Media which had an overhaul last September.

Unfortunately some posters on .com are conflating the change in the display of views that effect every Category (but don't disrupt AT ALL) with the issue that affects the Categories which just changed.

I don't want to brush off the sellers who are seeing miserable sales, my own have been on a steady decline since last Summer (Covid bump ending) BUT, I've just had my best week since November*.

The View change highlights one thing.....a LOT of sellers never read the Updates!

* You won't see it on the id I use here,  it's for dead stock and board posting only.

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

@38e_avenue wrote:

@musicyouneed wrote:

What about you?

Well, I always had a strange feeling seeing some of my items had 7950 views and no sale. Now I know, it was phony traffic - and I feel definitely better!   

@recped 

My biggest concern with this is eBay acknowledging (the red text) and then towards discussion end (currently post 103) asking for sellers names who are being affected. A fascade? Do they (eBay) know if it is something they have done or is this similar to someone saying there is a ticket and nothing seems to get resolved/corrected or we never actually hear back things are working as they should? eBay's followup on issues has never really been anything to yell from the rooftops!!

-Lotz

Message 15 of 25
latest reply

It's not "phoney traffic" (there is some of that) it's traffic from whenever the listing started which could be months or years ago.

Most of my GTC listings were listed in March 2019 so the total views I was seeing covered three years which is completely meaningless.

I was playing around with the detailed Views pop-up (click the view number in your Active Listings), it will give you a graph of your views and you can choose 7, 30, 60, 90 days, 6 months, 1 year or 2 years, it compares to the previous period.

Most of my GTC are multi-quantity and I can see that the graph reasonably correlates to my actual sales.

I think this new view system is a tremendous improvement is terms on knowing which listings would be best to use for Promotional Listings, Discounts, Offers to buyers etc.

I was nice to see big View counts but it lead people to believe buyers were looking and interested but the reality was that people WERE looking at one time but currently maybe not at all.

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

Views/Watchers means eyes...and traffic.

And that is half the story.

The other half is that none of those eyes bought the product.

Which is the other half.

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@musicyouneed wrote:

What about you?

@musicyouneed 

From Dot com. 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Should-eBay-Waive-May-Store-Subscription-Fees-Due-to-Botched/m...

~~~~~>

Post 1 from eBay eBay Community team. Too bad these types of eBay official announcements don't apper on ca.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Updates-are-happening-to-some-item-specifics-and-category/m-p/...

During this transition, your listing experience could be temporarily impacted, as well as the visibility of your listings.  You may notice some item specifics changing names, listings moved to different categories, or some listings temporarily not appearing in searches. 

I've had another seller mention that there are reports on Facebook about issues with drops in sales and sellers being advised it was caused by eBay technical issues. Possibly all of this tied together (Item specifics/Category changes/view counts) are what is causing many sellers from having a sudden drop off the cliff in sales.

-Lotz

Correction: Announcement is on dot ca. Post is not open to comments.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Announcements/Updates-are-happening-to-some-item-specifics-and-category...

Post 129 from US discussion:

Hi @b86fiero! I was advised that nothing about these category changes will affect visibility, best match, or anything of the like.

Velvet,

Post 132 from US discussion:

velvet@ebay

Confused by your response above ^^^

Your OP states "though some effects to listings' visibility in searches may continue up to three weeks."

Your response states "nothing about these category changes will affect visibility ....."

Please kindly clarify.  Thank you.

b86fiero

-Lotzofuniquegoodies

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

I suspect those sellers who are noticing the drastic change in views is due to "eBay's New View Counting Policy"

"There are two important parts to this update - eBay will be filtering out "non-human" bot traffic and will be changing the default display to show only views from a rolling 30 day period.

To give you clearer insight into your listings’ performance, we’re changing to a more accurate way of counting page views, and updating how we display traffic data on your listings

• To give you cleaner performance data, we’ll now show a 30-day rolling count of listing views instead of a lifetime count.
  • You’ll still be able to access data for the past 2 years in a new listing traffic history report.

The current page view numbers on your listings count various types of traffic, including a significant amount of non-human traffic—one example is programs called “bots” that scan websites and now account for approximately 40% of internet traffic...

...while most sellers will see a significant drop in page view numbers, the impact of filtering out more non-human traffic may vary. Importantly, the actual traffic from potential buyers to listings isn’t changing. We’re just updating what types of traffic we count as page views to more accurately show views by potential buyers.

30-day rolling data makes it easier to spot trends and optimize listings.

However, we know some sellers prefer to have data that spans a longer period, so a new listing traffic history report will show the past 2 years of view counts for each listing.

Showing 30-day rolling data rather than lifetime views is very important- if you are seeing a drastic change from previous views, it may not all be bot traffic being filtered, some of it could be the result of the display showing a shorter timeframe than it did previously.

If you're experiencing a sudden decline in views, the changes outlined above are one very likely culprit.

That being said, there are some users reporting seeing view counts that don't make sense even with the changes and eBay community staff have acknowledged there's a current known technical issue causing inaccurate view statistics to be displayed.

If that's you, here's the ticket number to provide when contacting support."

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 wrote:

I suspect those sellers who are noticing the drastic change in views is due to "eBay's New View Counting Policy"

"There are two important parts to this update - eBay will be filtering out "non-human" bot traffic and will be changing the default display to show only views from a rolling 30 day period.

To give you clearer insight into your listings’ performance, we’re changing to a more accurate way of counting page views, and updating how we display traffic data on your listings

• To give you cleaner performance data, we’ll now show a 30-day rolling count of listing views instead of a lifetime count.
  • You’ll still be able to access data for the past 2 years in a new listing traffic history report.

The current page view numbers on your listings count various types of traffic, including a significant amount of non-human traffic—one example is programs called “bots” that scan websites and now account for approximately 40% of internet traffic...

...while most sellers will see a significant drop in page view numbers, the impact of filtering out more non-human traffic may vary. Importantly, the actual traffic from potential buyers to listings isn’t changing. We’re just updating what types of traffic we count as page views to more accurately show views by potential buyers.

30-day rolling data makes it easier to spot trends and optimize listings.

However, we know some sellers prefer to have data that spans a longer period, so a new listing traffic history report will show the past 2 years of view counts for each listing.

Showing 30-day rolling data rather than lifetime views is very important- if you are seeing a drastic change from previous views, it may not all be bot traffic being filtered, some of it could be the result of the display showing a shorter timeframe than it did previously.

If you're experiencing a sudden decline in views, the changes outlined above are one very likely culprit.

That being said, there are some users reporting seeing view counts that don't make sense even with the changes and eBay community staff have acknowledged there's a current known technical issue causing inaccurate view statistics to be displayed.

If that's you, here's the ticket number to provide when contacting support."

@mrdutch1001 

There were sellers getting sales with no views displaying. Houston. We have a problem!!

-Lotz

Message 20 of 25
latest reply