New Observations - How search NOW works

In researching a magazine I wanted to list when I search using "Rock & Gem Magazine March 1997" the exact item comes up as listed 13th. The first 12 are assortment of Rolling Stones Magazines + 1 Wrestling Magazine. If I drop the march 1997 similar magazines do appear but even farther down the shown search results.

When you click on the exact match item(original search) it brings up a large quantity of similar Rock & Gem editions in the promotion banner(s). Is this how search is supposed to work now going forward? In other tests comparing both eBay and Google using the same keywords recently, often more eBay exact match results will come display in Google vs eBay. Sounds very counter intuitive. Seems too bad we don't have a choice as to what gets shown as promoted in our own listings vs suggesting potential buyers getting sent elsewhere. Directly to other sellers.

-Lotzofuniquegoodies

Current traffic report.

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1687034425761.png

Pre promoted listings ratio was 5:2(3). This new ratio would be fine if sales numbers matched. Sadly, they don't. Not even close.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Mine has been showing the same thing. ebay killed their search for money and now external sites are beating them on traffic. I actually consider eBay like MySpace 2.0 but they keep finding more ways to nickel and dime sellers to postpone it. That tap will run out soon. Probably coming right around the corner now.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

@electronicifycanada wrote:

Mine has been showing the same thing. ebay killed their search for money and now external sites are beating them on traffic. I actually consider eBay like MySpace 2.0 but they keep finding more ways to nickel and dime sellers to postpone it. That tap will run out soon. Probably coming right around the corner now.

@electronicifycanada 

Starting to really understand a buyers frustration with searching for anything now on eBay. It would be going to Wally World looking for pens and staff telling you now we keep those automotive. Plants are in shoes.

-Lotz

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

I just did the same search and two listings for Rock and Gem March 1997 were at the top of my search results, followed by all the Rolling Stone issues that you likely mentioned.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

I just did the same search and two listings for Rock and Gem March 1997 were at the top of my search results, followed by all the Rolling Stone issues that you likely mentioned.

The dreaded "results may vary". I did the search several times and it only varied slightly. The bigger concern was the items that did not show up as part of the original search but did show up as being promoted.

-Lotz

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Searchs are so messed up right now. I don't know what they did but when i try to do pricing researchs, my filters often randomly reset. I put canada > lowest price, add searchs, sometimes it stays, sometimes everything reset. And i need to re select everything. They also have a corrector totally randomly on some searchs now. One exemple i have in mind is when i search the pokemon card houndour 5/75, it shows worldwide, but when i add filters canada and lowest price, it automaticaly correct (incorrect) the search to houdoomr 5/75. So show 0 item. A canadian cannot do a canadian research on this item. And this happen randomly with many others. Sometimes you just can't search items because the bar doesnt let you. It's so broken. 

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Yes. I noticed that a few months ago too. To come up higher in search try making the year (without the month) the 1st key word. Put the month after the title. It made a big dif for me. I also noticed adding hyphens can move you up. Contradictory to the staus quo I know. These days there isnt a status quo. Something else will work next month.
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

it brings up a large quantity of similar Rock & Gem editions in the promotion banner(s).

I believe that's what the PL charges are for.

Higher placement in Search.

What we don't know is if those placements are based only on the percentage the seller is willing to pay or if other factors (defects, free delivery, fast shipping, TRS status) are also in play.

How much would a seller with Defects that lost them TRS and added a 5% penalty to fees have to pay for PL to get in that Search?

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Wally World staff know where stuff is?

I feel lucky if they even understand what I'm looking for.

My favourite Search is for stuff related to a cult SF/F TV show that got cancelled in 2002.

Usually I get mostly that, but last time I was looking for some comics I think I'm missing, I also got  some stained glass ornaments, books about fireflies, a flame detector, an entirely different comic series by a different publisher, assorted jewelry, and a sportscard.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

I noticed the search issues for the first time the other month.  I listed something and for some reason searched it again after posting (probably to make sure I priced it right lol) it didnt appear in the search at all.  It was in listings matching fewer words below all the results (Even though all the words I searched were in the title).  Disturbing lol let's hope I continue being featured in the serarches.. Love you eBay lol  

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@joels-retrocade  How long after listing? Because we are told that it may take up to 24 hours for an item to "index" and appear at all.

Are our own listings shown lower in Search than similar listings of others?

And of course what Search do we use? (My preference is highest price +shipping to weed out the junk)

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

"How much would a seller with Defects that lost them TRS and added a 5% penalty to fees have to pay for PL to get in that Search?"

--------

A below standard seller cannot use PL at all.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@reallynicestamps  it was fairly soon after I listed it probably only a few hours.  I figured it was active cuz it appears in listings matching fewer words lol.  That's probably what happened.  Just needed time to get indexed properly. 

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@rocketscollectibles wrote:

Searchs are so messed up right now. I don't know what they did but when i try to do pricing researchs, my filters often randomly reset. I put canada > lowest price, add searchs, sometimes it stays, sometimes everything reset. And i need to re select everything. They also have a corrector totally randomly on some searchs now. One exemple i have in mind is when i search the pokemon card houndour 5/75, it shows worldwide, but when i add filters canada and lowest price, it automaticaly correct (incorrect) the search to houdoomr 5/75. So show 0 item. A canadian cannot do a canadian research on this item. And this happen randomly with many others. Sometimes you just can't search items because the bar doesnt let you. It's so broken. 

@rocketscollectibles 

In just now researching a manual for a vintage piece of office equipment ebay search brought up a large number of listings for Pokeman cards and Nintendo games. When I searched Google it brought up the actual piece of equipment exact matches to the manual.....On eBay...Multiple units listed. 

Guess no matter what you look for you there is a good chance you will get Pokeman cards for your results. So like a win for you.

-Lotz 

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Seems obvious that the searchs are broken, look at another weird stuff. 

July 2022 listing as last sold. 

Capture d’écran 2023-06-19 165904.png

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

@rocketscollectibles it might not be the case for this item, but if the seller had it as a multi item, and some sold, and they subesequently end the listing (with some remaining), the item shows up as "sold" items as of the time the last item sold.

So it was ended today, but shows a sold date of the last one that sold however long ago. That might be why it seems to be out of order.

I've observed this behaviour in some of my watchees that normally have multi items listed and end them.

Message 16 of 16
latest reply