New specifications

We found that 945 of your listings are missing item specifics we recommend adding like brand, size, and color that buyers commonly search for.
To get started, you can filter your active listings in Seller Hub for those missing recommended item specifics.

I sell comic books.  Now ebay wants me to put what color they used?  All of them.... I already have to put in the publisher, now I need to distinguish a Brand as seperate from a publisher?   Already I have to try to describe using some dumba$$ idea of new, like new, very good and acceptable.  In comic books we have a different grading scale, but very good is in there and it MEANS low grade....  Somebody who doesn't understand comics, is telling us how to describe them.  Ebay needs to trust the sellers to do what is in thier best interest and stop micro managing us like they are our bosses.  If they make put 'all colors' in every one of my 950 listings, I will seriously consider abandoning ebay...

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

New specifications

Since the Item Specifics are meant to make our listings searchable on Google (and DuckDuckGo and Bing if that is still around) it is counter productive  to have wildly incorrect keywords like Very Good/Bl**dyAwful as a choice.

Do they also demand certification or can you, like stamp dealers, include Uncertified , especially for common and low value books?

In the short run, can you type in your own words? I can do that for most IS in Books and in sewing patterns, my main products with this ID.

Is there  a bulk lister for Item Specifics?

The term the Stamps IS uses for stamps of many colours is Multi-Color (note spelling) and that may be the term that the SEOs use too. Personally I prefer "polychrome", but there we go.

I would suggest that while a good rant will ease the soul, that you should also :

• Complain to the FaceBook reps.
  • Add your complaint to the dotCOM Boards, which I suspect carry more weight with the PTB.
  • Complain on Wednesday in the Weekly Chat with tyler@ebay 

By the way- Brand/Publisher? Yes. I'm a Browncoat and my listings in that fandom use not only Firefly/Serenity (Brand) but also Boom! and Dark Horse (publishers)  for the comics. So it's not that crazy.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

New specifications

RECOMMENDED not Required!

If they don't apply to your items then don't fill them in. The only Item Specifics you need to be concerned about are "Required" and "Required Soon".

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

New specifications

The good news is that so far existing listings are grandfathered, you only have to fix running items if you go to edit them etc.

I've got a lot of grandfathered items, my required missing statistics was at 3,000 but have slowly dwindled down to 1675 according to today's message. I've been getting this message for I think years now, a long time at least (stamps category).

Someday we may be forced to fix them, hopefully that is a long ways off.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

New specifications

Yes, and I have always ignored such notifications as when I list I fill in all required and when I re-list I check and assess, then add anything I feel is still needed. It is necessary to fill in ONLY those item specifics that are REQUIRED; all else is OPTIONAL.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

New specifications

I find that if I look at my Listings and set the number per page at 25, I can quickly look through those Newly Opened (relisted in this case) spot the problems and fix them.

Eventually all my listings will be fixed.
By which time eBay will have more to upgrade.

sigh.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

New specifications

Anonymous
Not applicable

eBay required that I  include who is the photographer(s) that took my negatives, slides, 4x5 transparencies which is absurd.  Most of them I bought are from the estate sales, so I have no way of knowing unless I can type 'UNKNOWN'.  Sheesh!!

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

New specifications

@femmefan1946 wrote:

I find that if I look at my Listings and set the number per page at 25, I can quickly look through those Newly Opened (relisted in this case) spot the problems and fix them.

Eventually all my listings will be fixed.
By which time eBay will have more to upgrade.

sigh.

The thumbs up was just for the sigh. I have listings I have "fixed" multiple times since this nightmare began.  All that would be required is a tab to check off. Don't remind me about these recommendations again  from within any listing requiring suggested updating and problem solved. Bulk editor does not work for vintage items.

-Lotz

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

New specifications

@Anonymous   I've been using N/A which seems to work most of the time.

The only problem I've had (in my categories, so not a blanket statement) is with comics, where there is an adorable idea that every collector has all her comics professionally graded and certified.

@lotzofuniquegoodies  Again it may just be my categories but the Don't remind me again is a checkoff for books, sewing patterns and postcards, at least.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

New specifications

@femmefan1946 wrote:

@Anonymous   I've been using N/A which seems to work most of the time.

The only problem I've had (in my categories, so not a blanket statement) is with comics, where there is an adorable idea that every collector has all her comics professionally graded and certified.

@lotzofuniquegoodies  Again it may just be my categories but the Don't remind me again is a checkoff for books, sewing patterns and postcards, at least.

The dont remind me again is for any categories that have been updated. The check box has been asked for by US sellers since this started. I can create a listing and check off everything known. The message comes up after the listing is sent. Not from the listing. Why bulk edit does not work for me. Every listing has different new changes. Error message would be similar to the one when you choose Tracked to USA and parcel is over 2.0 KG. Nothing displays if measurements are below required standards. If you don't check off with tool, I've been getting reminder emails from ebay so I clear as I see.

-Lotz

Message 10 of 10
latest reply