No expedited shipping for package within Canada

I had a buyer purchase several lots of yarn, and I had to do a special listing, because as usual they were unable to ask for a combined shipping invoice. So I got the details packed it up in a box and asked for the postal code. I checked the details on Canada Post, and my only option was regular parcel or express (which was way too expensive). I thought that all packages within Canada went expedited mail. I am not sure if the package mailed regular mail will be tracked an insured.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

To see the expedited domestic rate on the CP calculator, click on see minimum online savings after you have entered your dimensions etc.    It's in the blue box just above the regular parcel rate.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Canada Post offers Expedited Shipping for those who have a Solutions for Small Business card.  After you put in all your measurements & weight it will take you to the shipping options. There is a box at the top that says:

With Solutions for Small Business, the more you ship online, the more you save. Sign up now to save up to 34% on domestic shipping and up to 58% on international shipping.

Click on the box "Show minimum online savings" & it will show Expedited Shipping as an option.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Did you consider Flat Rate Boxes? ...right now I am finding that method is often cheaper than Expedited Parcel for shipping items within Canada.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/personal/sending/parcels/flat-rate-box.page?ecid=sem_p...

Prices quoted do not include tax but as an example the small flate rate box with tax is $19.94.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
As @2nd-time-around-jewelry points out, Canada Post’s domestic Expedited service is only available to business accounts. If you’re checking “Personal” mailing rates on the CP website rather than “Business” ones, the Expedited option won’t show up.
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

I use those flat rate boxes a lot especially when sending back east. There are 3 sizes to choose from. It is usually cheaper than regular or expedited mail.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Regular packages are still tracked but they are not insured. I have a Small Business Account with Canada Post but sometimes still use Regular parcel instead of Expedited if the items are not expensive. I use calculated rates and use Regular rates to show buyers the slightly lower price. If it is more valuable item I send it expedited and pay the difference (if there is one). With small business account the price is often the same to send expedited as regular if it is going to a somewhat major city. There is still the comfort for both seller and buyer that tracking is still there. If it is lost you won't be reimbursed but I've not had a lost package   yet (knock on wood!)

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

To see the expedited domestic rate on the CP calculator, click on see minimum online savings after you have entered your dimensions etc.    It's in the blue box just above the regular parcel rate.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

yes, have used all 3 sizes of the flat rate boxes over the past few weeks...tracking & insurance up to $100 is better and superior to the regular parcel rate too, but comparing "expedited parcel" to flat rate boxes makes more sense than comparing regular parcel rate to either "expedited" or "flat rate" as "expedited parcel" and "flat rate boxes" both have insurance and tracking, but with the major difference being PRICE!

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

I have had a Business acount with Canada Post for almost 20 years, and have always had the option of expedited for packages within Canada. When I go to "find a rate" my business account details come up. I THINK the address might be an island in northern ON, would that make a difference?

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Got it! thank you so much, I have never had this problem before. The expedited rate is almost the same a regular parcel with the discount. I really appreciate the help.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Thanks, but this wouldn't fit in the biggest box, something  will try in the future for a smaller amount.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Canada Post is proud to deliver to everyone, everywhere in the country, and we understand we have a special obligation to serve our Northern communities. In those remote regions, we are typically the only delivery provider. That makes us their lifeline to the online world.

Above is a quote when I was trying to find info. If it is a remote island in northern Ontario they maybe don't offer "Expedited" because that service is also supposed to be faster, and I guess there is no fast route to certain areas. I don't know for certain but could be.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Canada Post has a very relaxed view of  what makes a "business account".

A SfSB account can be had for the asking.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/business/small-business.page?

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

I'm glad that helped. If you are already signed into your small business account the expedited Canada rate will show up right away. If not, you have to use that 'minimum savings' link.

Expedited USA will show up whether or not you are using an online rate as it is not a specific business service.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Also, to anyone reading this thread after the fact, the Flat Rate Boxes go by "Expedited Parcel" anyway, so the estimated delivery timeframe is the same.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Canada Post has a very relaxed view of  what makes a "business account".

A SfSB account can be had for the asking.

Agree completely.  I was just trying to make the point that if somebody researches "personal" mailing rates on the CP website rather than "business" ones, they're not going to see the options and rates for domestic Expedited Parcel.

Message 16 of 16
latest reply