Not so Nice Inquiry & Then They Buy

Hello All,

Has anyone ever experienced this? I had someone ask me to sell them just a single item out of a set of 3 I was selling. I responded back politely thanking them for their interest but that I was only selling it in a set. That was 2 days ago. They responded back saying “Good luck with that!” I took that as a sarcastic tone and I didn’t respond back & went about my business. I’m not here to get into arguments with people. If they want to act like that, I’m not interested in giving them the satisfaction of getting a rise out of me.

Fast forward to today and they bought the set even though they really don’t want the other 2 items. I’m concerned with what will happen now. Is it just me or is this a case of someone buying this just to post something negative?

I should have blocked as this person initially but they bought my product under another account with also zero feedback. Although as we all know that doesn’t make a difference since we can’t write feedback on a negative buyer. Even if I had blocked them they would have used their second account to buy anyways. I know it’s them because their last name was their original eBay handle who contacted me. Their original account has a history.

Has anyone ever had any similar experiences? I’ve been selling for a year now, have had good experiences and managed to keep a good seller reputation so far. I’m nice and polite to all inquiries I answer but aware enough to know how people can be when they don’t get what they want.

Any thoughts? What would you do?
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

This happens to me all the time, because normally I lot stuff together to make it large enough $$$ to be worthwhile selling.

I always respond the same as you. 

A surprising number of times they still buy, just to get the one item, presumably they trade the other ones away.

It is hard to know the sentiment behind written words. What we see as sarcastic could be many other things.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it, I do not recall ever having a problem with what the person got when I've had one of these, but remember I'm in the stamp world....generally a much safer place....

They can't ruin your reputation the very very worst thing they can do is scam their way into getting their item for free and leaving a negative feedback, which, if you respond professionally undoes that in the eyes of anyone who happens to look at it (ebay does not care about negatives and neutrals anymore, they do not factor into the search algorithm anymore). Based on what I've read here, the odds of that are very very small.....

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for your reply! I will send anyways but tired of people trying to manipulate my listings because they only want one item or want to pay less. I’m selling them as a set and even put that in the listing. This isn’t the first time I’ve been asked this so I had to put in there that I’m selling as a set only. Still navigating the waters of eBay...I have always gotten good advice here so thank you again! 🙂
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

The very hardest thing for most, if not all of us to do is not take things personally.

Unlike folks working for a store chain etc, "we" are the business so what folks do ends up being interpreted as being directed at us, and ignoring that is hard to do, still is hard to do for me and I'm into my 43rd year selling.

The good news, is the more often it happens the easier it is to not take personally, still is annoying but one loses less sleep over it!

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

So true! It’s hard not to take personally especially when we give it our all.

Red flags started going up for me when they used their second account to buy. Either they were embarrassed because I didn’t respond to their message or this is potentially a nightmare customer who doesn’t like being told no.

If I had cancelled the order, I would have gotten negative feedback so I’ll hope for the best with this one!
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I had a similar recent experience, but this was from a lowballer, who offered me half the asking price. Normally i don't do offers, but this was a mistake on my listing to allow it. So i declined, immediately removed the best offer setting in the listing, and was JUST going about blocking them and they bought it at full price. DOH!

I hummed and hawed about this one, since it was no tracking. But, only $20, so i sent it anyway and left positive fb. I'll let you know if I get an INR... I'm mentally prepared for it...
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

There are two reasons for cancelling orders that do not affect our selling accounts, "Problem with Address" and "Buyer Request".

Never use "Out Of Stock" which will win you a shiny Defect.

FB? Meh.

A calm factual Response is most effective. Actually usually no Response is most effective. And you can wait indefinitely  to leave Responses.

Also, and I'm probably worrying too much here, if the buyer wants a refund, you can always demand a return first, even if you have a No Returns policy. And the return must be the same items that you sent.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Teenytricket,

I bet you got that dreaded feeling when they bought. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Sometimes they just realize they can’t find it somewhere else and they buy it and nothing happens in the end. Hoping this is the case for both of us. It’s like we’re damned if we do and damned if we don’t.
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Femme Fatale, thanks for your advice! All the advice you have given me here in other posts have been helpful!

I knew I wouldn’t be able to cancel the order because there was really no reason to do so in eBay’s eyes. What would happen if you get someone who is really aggressive or irrationally and 5 minutes later decides to buy and you know it’s going to be a vindictive buy? Can you report them to eBay or do you still technically have to send the item?

Everyone I have dealt with up until this point has been really good. With the low ballers I usually ignore or just tell them nicely the price is firm. No one gets nasty.

I may reconsider selling sets of soap with different scents and just sell the same scent in a scent of 3 or 4. It’s not in my interest to sell one soap and then they want free shipping. I’ve been asked this question a few times now even though the ad states it’s sold in a set.
Message 9 of 9
latest reply