Old "eBay" Magazines

Back fifteen years ago, eBay published a monthly magazine for a while.

We are moving next month and I have been cleaning up my shelves.  Found a few magazines from 2000.  Before dumping them in the recycling bin, I took a quick look on eBay.com to see if sellers were actually selling these old magazines:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40|R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=ebay+magazine++2000&_sop=16

I just do not get it! 

Who in their right mind would spend money on totally outdated magazines offering nothing but the usual eBay PR?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Old "eBay" Magazines

Well, I guess as you always say, it's one thing to list at any price, another to actually sell.  

Take a look at this seller's "Sold" items -- he managed to sell one copy for $2.95, probably to another eBay seller for the "souvenir value". Woman LOL

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Old "eBay" Magazines

Queen Victoria once remarked that she found it amazing that people would collect 'little bits of paper that someone had spat on'.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Old "eBay" Magazines

@pierrelebel wrote:

Back fifteen years ago, eBay published a monthly magazine for a while.

We are moving next month and I have been cleaning up my shelves.  Found a few magazines from 2000.  Before dumping them in the recycling bin, I took a quick look on eBay.com to see if sellers were actually selling these old magazines:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40|R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=ebay+magazine++2000&_sop=16

I just do not get it! 

Who in their right mind would spend money on totally outdated magazines offering nothing but the usual eBay PR?

Maybe people like the ones that collect tiny little pieces of paper that other than the little (sometimes) pretty picture are useless for anything. I mean you can go along the street on recycle day and for FREE get all the bits of paper you want and most of it is only a week or two out of date.

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/British-Colonies-Territories-/65174/i.html?_sop=3&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=...

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Old "eBay" Magazines

Anonymous
Not applicable

Apparently they do have values to some buyers.  Why don't you try to sell yours to make some $$$.  Who knew??

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Old "eBay" Magazines

When it comes to collectables, artwork and many other unique things, one can look at ...

(1) Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

(2) One person's junk is another person's treasure.

----

An example of reality

I think the best definition  of an antique is.

Your grandmother loved it... absolutely.

Your mother hated it and painted it white...

and you are going crazy trying to find one in original condition....  You LOVE it.

---------------------------------------------------------

These magazines show eBay in its infancy.... At some time in the future they should have significant value.....  try a millennium...

maybe a century.... especially someone who may want to write a book about eBay

Do not trash future value....  How many have saved these magazines for a future reference?  eBay's archive???

But then....The value of an item increases.... if more are dumped into the recycling bin

-------------------------------------------------------

Eatons catalogues have good value today... mainly because many catalogues were used in the outhouse....

--------------------------------------------------

How many eBay magazines were published?  What happened to all of the magazines that were published?

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Old "eBay" Magazines

A search for eBay magazine

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XeBay+magazine.TRS0&_nkw=eBay...

and then look at the sold list....  One sold for $50 US ..... 10/99  premier issue?

Many times it is not the magazine, but who is on the cover.....  and who was highlighted in the magazine

--------------------------------------------

Recently picked up a handful of magazines entitled "After Dark"... nine issues  from the 70's... at a moving sale....

Schwarzenegger on the cover... 1977.. is worth $20 to $30 US and more  depending on condition while Paul Newman is worth about $15 to $20 ....  The rest sell for about $10 each on eBay.

The Schwarzenegger issue is quite provocative!!! 

"After Dark" magazine  had a very unique market......  Suspected so when I bought the group of magazines  and based on the ... content of the sale  ... the books available....and other items at the  sale .....  and then confirmed by reading about After Dark Magazine on the internet

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Old "eBay" Magazines

I bet they would be a real laugh to read today!
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Old "eBay" Magazines

@vintagenorth wrote:
I bet they would be a real laugh to read today!

Or a real cry... the days when eBay was enthusiastic for, and cared about the independent, self-employed small seller.  I don't think I'd want to read it, come to think of it, too depressing. 

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Old "eBay" Magazines

You're probably right, rose. I too remember the "good old days" of fun competitions, recipe exchanges, jokes and photos and actual get-togethers. I got some of my favourite recipes here on the CTS board.

I'm still glad of the online friendships here but it was much more fun to sell and buy back then. A lot less stressful too!
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Old "eBay" Magazines

I never wanted to sell on line until I saw a cross stitch pattern I had sell for $40, so I sold mine.  I was hooked!  I sold all my patterns, then my magazines, and I can truthfully say that my current inventory was built up from those sales.  I just kept re-investing.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Old "eBay" Magazines

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Queen Victoria once remarked that she found it amazing that people would collect 'little bits of paper that someone had spat on'.

I wasn't sure what you were referring to, then I saw recped's post... and had a very good laugh Smiley LOL Smiley LOL

Message 12 of 12
latest reply