Packages getting stuck in ISC NY and ISC Chicago?

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anyone else has been having this issue of parcels sent from Canada, expedited and tracked parcel US getting stuck with ISC NY and ISC Chicago processing tracking? I understand there are delays due to COVID-19 but I am wondering on average how soon do these parcels get unstuck, if anyone has experience? My last one stuck in ISC NY was released to another post office after 7 business days. My buyers are starting to message me, understandingly so and I worry about things getting lost. Let me know your experiences!

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Hi! Yes it is happening to us all.

Here is my "form letter" I use for the folks enquiring:

Hi! Thank you for your note! Your stamps were shipped as advised on Monday March 15th. Unfortunately COVID-19 related delays are affecting a lot of shipments. Some items move at normal speed or even more quickly, some like yours are slowed down significantly. A lot depends on which sorting centers are affected and for how long they are impacted. I am not sure how the postal distribution network is affected in your state/ local area (I am in Canada). 99% of the time parcels just take longer than they should to arrive, especially now. I would really appreciate it if you can wait another couple weeks or so before we decide the package is lost and I refund your money, but I will be ok whenever you decide. If it gets to the point that you think it has been long enough, please just open an item not received case and I will refund your money out of my own funds. Assuming the parcel does arrive after that, let me know and I’ll send another invoice so you can pay again (this is my full time job, small parcels like this are not insured so I am out 100% if they do not arrive). Thank you in advance for your continued patience and have a great day! RICARMIC (Ron)

As a note, I've had a number of MIAs and one refund (who later repaid when the item arrived), but so far I have not had any refunds without repayment (in almost 200 shipments since March 1)

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

New York delays is no surprise at all.

That is one of the areas of the USA that has been badly hit by covid-19.

April 28  highest death rate statesApril 28 highest death rate states

Source: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

As a comparison Canada has had 77 deaths per million people.

-..-

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

yes, unfortunately i've seen the stats. have family in NYC too, so stressful! i expect delays with ISC NY but Chicago is a surprising one for me since my previous packages went smoothly through there. would be great if USPS released statements for the public as to what ISC processing hubs are experiencing great delays. that way sellers and buyers can have more information concerning the situation. no doubt some have been very patient and understanding but others not so much. it's a difficult situation all around. and even if you refund the buyer when they open a case and then tracking states delivered a week later, you take the chance that the buyer will be honest and pay you again. :*( which also makes me wonder if some people are also exploiting the delays for their own gain. can ebay do anything in a case like that? 

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Exploiters will exploit no matter the situation. eBay likely won't cover us for folks not fessing up later, although when there is tracking at least we have proof it did arrive later, and it would be up to us to notice that and report it to eBay. We are in unknown territory these days so it will be interesting to see what happens as these do occur, I'm sure folks will report here what happens!

Different areas of selling will have higher risks, selling cell phones is always riskier, maybe riskier now, maybe not. My stamp world is relatively safe comparatively, so far folks have been great.

All of us as business owners have to assess the relative risk and dis/continue selling based on that (just like we do for other stuff happening in the environment like postal strikes etc). Unfortunately the MIA process lags so much (3 to 4 weeks) that by the time you know the risk is too high, you've got 3 to 4 weeks worth of high risk stuff out there.

I was naturally closed for what was supposed to be a vacation on March 21, and I unfortunately decided to stay closed for 3 more weeks after that, because I thought the risk would be too high. I now know that it wasn't, at least for the first 3 weeks of March. I'll know in a few weeks what the last couple weeks of April was like, but I am pretty confident it is no worse than it was in March.

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

I'm not sure where the problem is, but I am definitely experiencing problems with shipments, with and without tracking. It's not difficult to imagine delays at ISC NY, but I think Montreal has an issue since some items I shipped to U.S. and France on the same day in early April (without tracking) didn't make it according to the buyers. I refunded the buyers, but how can I be sure they will be honest and pay me if the items do arrive eventually? Does E-Bay have any recourse available for sellers? Do they track buyers who make serial requests for refunds for items undelivered? I feel I should at least be able to edit my feedback to state the item was reported undelivered or perhaps have a button to click indicating that the item was reported undelivered. Now, I have someone from Germany who says they didn't receive their package. Are there specific problem destinations that anyone in this forum can identify? I guess I will have to insist on tracking for everything I sell on E-Bay now, but doing so only hurts the pockets of everyone involved ultimately, except the post office.

Good luck with selling and shipping y'all!

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

@ricarmic 

Unfortunately the other thing that may throw a wrench into things is final delivery scans are not 100 percent. I've had them show delivery in Canada post or USPS but not in eBay and combinations there of. Also items where customer messaged to say item was delivered or positive feedback and no scans to confirm. Something ebay needs to officially address as its entirely out of sellers control once the item has been dropped off and is "on the way."

-Lotz

Feedback for those that leave....As Proof of Delivery could be a possible acceptable confirmation option. Hmmmm?

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

There are tonnes (literally it is in the tens of thousands) of uncleared packages from China alone awaiting clearance into the US via the ISCs, which are operating with significantly less staff. First in first out has gone out the window at this point and the situation is much like when the pacific processing center here had trailers and warehouses full of packages with more arriving daily. The shipping team at Ebay should be extending seller protections as they should be well aware of what is going on. I would expect them to be heavily backlogged for months as there are still packages from March and April that haven't even entered into the US.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

Thanks for the info. Confirms what I presumed. I agree wholeheartedly that E-Bay should be making some concessions for sellers. They have made concessions for buyers when returning items, but even that concession needs reviewing. I actually called E-Bay today and told them exactly that. I managed to get a young, intelligent and well-spoken customer service agent who promised to bring it up at his meeting this week. He said he would send me an update if anything worthwhile came out of the discussions in the meeting. I'm not holding my breath, but who knows, maybe he has integrity too.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

I think that for a time being it will be right for you to mark that you ship within 5 or 7 days...

This will give you few extra days if  buyer declares INR.

But actually you may ship as soon as you can, but there will be a few additional days for buyer to wait, sometimes it really helps.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

I shipped to U.S. and France on the same day in early April (without tracking)

When we go commando, CONVID-19 or not, we are taking our chances that the buyer will not make an Item Not Delivered Dispute, since we will always lose.

This is where Cookie Jar Insurance comes in.

This means putting a small amount, usually less than a dime, into a virtual Cookie Jar as a self-insurance premium against Disputes, and paying refunds out of the Cookie Jar.

how can I be sure they will be honest and pay me if the items do arrive eventually?

You can't.

But most of them are as honest as you or I.

You can politely send them a Paypal invoice when enough time has passed for delivery cheerfully noting that the item is in their hands now (not that you know that) and asking them to repay the refund.

Some sellers discount the PP invoice -for the buyer's disappointment- and perhaps half of the buyers will repay.

You have to make them feel noble and honest for doing this.

Even more important you have to make it easy.

Do they track buyers who make serial requests for refunds for items undelivered?

Yes.

We occasionally on the dotCOM Boards see howls from buyers who have tried to open a Dispute only to learn they are no longer eligible for the Money Back Guarantee.

A survey of their feedback usually tells the boardies, an experienced bunch who believe in Tough Love, exactly why.

Buyer gets schooled.

I should at least be able to edit my feedback to state the item was reported undelivered

You cannot change Feedback

You can leave a Response to any Feedback, indefinitely.  "Item reported Not Delivered -Refunded 7/6/20" for example.

But Don't. 

The only readers will be your future customers and you just admitted there was a problem. This makes good buyers nervous.

I have someone from Germany who says they didn't receive their package.

In normal times, German customs can be a problem. They are very thorough and rather slow.

Some Germans will take advantage of this, open a Dispute, win it, then go and pick up their package paying only the duty and VAT.

This is rare, but it happens.

More likely, you buyer is truthful and -- the pandemic has slowed processing in every country while shipping is at three to six times Christmas levels.

Generally- looking at your annual sales, are you having more or less than one percent of your sales Disputed.

One percent is the retail norm, although online sales seem to be slightly lower than that.

If your Disputes are higher - three to five percent of sales being disputed - it's time to look at your own business practices to see how you can improve your results.

No one else can do it for you.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

@luvmystuff2 

You are in a high risk category. Used car parts are tricky.

And you are not helping yourself by calling an item both "New -Other" and "As-Is".  Those are contradictory. If you are not sure go with the As Is descriptor.

The whole part about Returns and Refunds is unenforceable.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

Yes ... Chicago in particular.  Sometimes there is no movement for several days.  One package in particular I was concerned about.  It was a $100 item to a very lovely lady in Virginia.  We could both see it sitting in Chicago and then, lo and behold, it started to move.  But .... back to Canada - Montreal.  It eventually made its way down to South Carolina and then back up to Virginia.  Thank goodness she was very patient because this expedited parcel took a month.  I haven't had any tracked items go missing; they've just taken longer than usual.  But as long as the buyer can see where it is, they're usually satisfied that it will eventually reach them.

Are you in the habit of entering the buyer's e-mail address in the USPS tracking site?  I would recommend it because they will get updates daily or even 2 or 3 times a day.

But as other sellers have stated, we have to be prepared to send refunds for non-tracked items.  I've sent several and, so far, only one person paid me after it was received.  The others were not returned or paid for.  Thank goodness, I've had enough sales to make up for these refunds but it's certainly discouraging, particularly when it's only been a week to 10 days.  Many people do not want to wait longer than that.  

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

tyler@ebay 

When a seller rarely uses tracking on low value items, but is suddenly getting many more complaints about delivery,

while telling the customer to open an eBay Dispute, which is then promptly paid,

have any bad effect on the seller's account.

My thinking is that a sketchy buyer who is making a lot of INR complaints, without a Dispute, is under eBay's radar.

But when asked to file the Dispute will not, to keep herself invisible.

I know that eBay has refused MBG coverage to a buyer with "too many" Disputes, but would the buyer who is demanding refunds without a Dispute be noticed and restricted?

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

@reallynicestamps

Good question!  Thanks for raising it.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply

Hi @reallynicestamps - we do review open-rates of item not received requests for buyers, even if the seller issues a refund and eBay is never 'officially' involved. It's one way we look to curb potential abuse. 

With that said, insert my usual spiel about how tracking is designed to protect you as the seller (etc etc etc), and also Cookie Jar Insurance, etc etc.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 16 of 23
latest reply

Anyone interested in going halfers please?  Smiley LOL

-Lotz

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

I mailed 3 packages on 1 June here in Victoria. Tracking shows they have not yet left Victoria sorting office. That is now 7 days here and how many days of delay can I expect - one is going to US and the other two to Asia- when they do leave??

Looks like cloudy days ahead!!!

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

First off, I'm not selling car parts whether new or used, and you clearly didn't read what New (Other) defines. All my parts are new. I don't refund buyers if they don't have a valid reason for the return, like if they didn't do their homework and bought the wrong item. 

Anyway, what does what I am selling have to do with the topic at hand? Have you anything useful to add on the topic?

Have a good day!

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

Excellent idea! Thanks for the tip!

Cheers.

Message 20 of 23
latest reply