PayPal / Canada Post New Version:No more Light Packet International offered

With this new version (where you have to input your Canada Post Account Number), no more "Light Packet International" is offered. Will it be the same for "Light Packet USA"?. For International, rate goes from $10.10 to $10.27 but for USA, it's $6.84 to $8.61!!! What's the catch?

Message 1 of 68
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

qottie
Community Member

All,

PayPal released a fix to the shipping labels flow was earlier this afternoon, and we think that the service should be back to normal.

Specifically, when eBay sellers choose "Print Shipping Label" on My eBay, and enter the label printing flow on PayPal:

• sellers should no longer be asked to register or connect their Canada Post account before printing a label
  • "eBay-negotiated" Canada Post rates and services (including Light Packet for US / International destinations) should be showing up again as options for label printing

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you are still having issues with printing labels.  We will continue to work with PayPal to resolve any outstanding issues that arise.  Thanks for your patience as we worked with PayPal to resolve the issues.

View solution in original post

Message 61 of 68
latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

hlmacdon
Community Member

Light packet was previously only available via the post office outlets and via approved electronic providers (ebay/pitney/paypal relationship was one of them). It is possible now that ebay is severing their shipping business with paypal/pitney that the the paypal shipping system is no longer pulling the light packet rates through the Canada Post API. The rate still exists at the API level, but doesn't seem like Canada Post has set it up for the new snap ship web program they launched.

Message 2 of 68
latest reply

@soal6351 wrote:

With this new version (where you have to input your Canada Post Account Number), no more "Light Packet International" is offered. Will it be the same for "Light Packet USA"?. For International, rate goes from $10.10 to $10.27 but for USA, it's $6.84 to $8.61!!! What's the catch?

How thick is your package?  Over 2cm is not eligible for Light Packet.

$8.61 is the price for Small Packet USA 0-250g, no thickness restriction.

eBay never had any discounts for "Light Packet", so you can buy your label online at Canada Post (credit card only) or over-the-counter, until eBay switches over to Shippo for label processing.

-..-

Message 3 of 68
latest reply

Yes, I have come here to post about this as well. I would send all my USA items "light Packet" for $6.81 (i think) and now I can only see small packet air for more money. My packages are 19x13x1 cm

Frustrating and am now boosting shipping fees

Message 4 of 68
latest reply

@custom_shop_designed wrote:

Frustrating and am now boosting shipping fees

Hopefully one of the ebay team members will chime in on this. From what they posted it sounds like paypal is still contracted to provide the same services for at least a few more months to aid with the transition. It isn't clear if this is just something that has been overlooked with the recent change they made to the paypal/pitney side or if light packet is getting pulled (it isn't clear from the original agreements if this was put in place for ebay, or paypal/pitney). Hopefully its just a bug and it will continue to be provided till the paypal shipping officially ends. I haven't dug into any of the recent changes with the Canada Post API, it is possible Canada Post changed something on their end and paypal/pitney will need need to implement the change so it returns light packet rates via the API request.

Message 5 of 68
latest reply

When I go to the parcel rates calculator on Canada Post they still do use light packet rates so hopefully this is just a glitch.  As far as I know light packet was not implemented for any one company in particular and if they were eliminating it, I would think that they would post a notice about it ahead of time.

It is odd when this was first mentioned by a poster here, I could still see  light packet on PP but when I checked again today, it isn't there.

Message 6 of 68
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

When I go to the parcel rates calculator on Canada Post they still do use light packet rates so hopefully this is just a glitch.  As far as I know light packet was not implemented for any one company in particular and if they were eliminating it, I would think that they would post a notice about it ahead of time.

It is odd when this was first mentioned by a poster here, I could still see  light packet on PP but when I checked again today, it isn't there.

Yeah it is still active in the API hence it will return a rate from the rate table. I'll have to go back to the documentation but I believe it always returned the rate via the API when the commercial rate flag was set. With a specific negotiated account the rate return is probably a bit more specific to the account. Either the API flag that causes the light packet return rate to be included, or might likely it changed as a result of the changes paypal/pitney made. If I recall correct from recent threads, you have to input your account number now? If that is the case that would explain why the rates may not being returned as they will not be setup by default for a standard Canada Post account. Again memory here, but I am sure in the past I could force the rate return to generate a cart level rate and then generate a shipping label from within paypal, but it wasn't linked to my CP account via EST.

Message 7 of 68
latest reply

If you are saying that you think the calculator only showed light packet if the user was asking for a commercial rate, that's not the case. I normally use the calculator without asking for a commercial rate and always see light packet.

Message 8 of 68
latest reply

I've noticed that it comes and goes on PP shipping.

If it's not there I start the process over again.  For me it's eventually reappeared.

I think it's just a glitch.

Message 9 of 68
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

If you are saying that you think the calculator only showed light packet if the user was asking for a commercial rate, that's not the case. I normally use the calculator without asking for a commercial rate and always see light packet.

I'm referring to the general usage of the API as it pertains to using it in a non-ebay environment (ie implementing Canada post web rates on a separate ecommerce web platform). There are two separate API implementations here, one on the ebay site to generate the rate request that is displayed to the end user on the ebay site, and one on the paypal side to generate the applicable shipping methods on the paypal side. The problem (and I haven't looked at it other than a quick parsing of comments here) seems to be on the paypal side. Since the paypal side apparently now requires a Canada Post customer number, those accounts are no longer using the account that paypal (I don't know if ebay has their own Canada Post account number, of it was in house account setup for pitney/paypal) was previously using to generate the API call to the Canada Post site. Either that account is misconfigured (possible api change in what the field for light packet is called in the API) or not configured to return light packet  (should be setup to return all applicable services but light packet is an account exception and not configured on all accounts). I suspect the latter is the case.

Message 10 of 68
latest reply

@hold-my-chawowah wrote:

I've noticed that it comes and goes on PP shipping.

If it's not there I start the process over again.  For me it's eventually reappeared.

I think it's just a glitch.

I've noticed that happening as well.

Message 11 of 68
latest reply

Trying to print labels tonight. Still no light packet and am paying about $2 more for the small packet air unfortunately.

Also, I am unable to print from within PayPal. The ship now or whatever button links me to PayPal but the labels don't print. I had to go directly to PayPal and then it works - still no light packet however
Message 12 of 68
latest reply

above should read unable to print from with in eBay

Message 13 of 68
latest reply

What happens when you go to the Canada Post website?

Although I tried to use it Wednesday and the Expedited Service wasn't available there.

So it might be Canada Post and not eBay/PP/PB.

For a change.

Naturally, we would not suggest that you use Letter Mail since that is strictly forbidden (but less strictly enforced) by Canada Post.

Message 14 of 68
latest reply

I have tried letter mail in the past. I had about 15 pkgs returned to me 2 weeks later with an elastic around them. This was a nightmare explaining the delay to some angry buyers 

Message 15 of 68
latest reply

Thanks for the warning Ebay & Paypal  Have sales going light packet international and now its gone without any notice??? Screwing us again 😞

Message 16 of 68
latest reply

@custom_shop_designed wrote:
Also, I am unable to print from within PayPal. The ship now or whatever button links me to PayPal but the labels don't print. I had to go directly to PayPal and then it works - still no light packet however

Now that I entered my Canada Post account #, I have the same problem as everyone else: unable to print that stupid label. I've been trying 5 times already. If I choose to print without using eBay's link, the discount is much lower! (I was using tracked packet) 😞

And I did not see the light packet option either. That is so frustrating!!

Message 17 of 68
latest reply

Can anyone confirm that Light Packet U.S.A. is still available at the postal outlet counters?  It's gone from PayPal and also from the Canada Post website.  Someone mentioned earlier that it was available on the CP calculator, but I just checked and it isn't.

This is crazy.  I ship 90% of my items by light packet U.S. and a $2.00 increase to ship by Small Packet Air without any warning and with no time to adjust listings is outrageous!!

Message 18 of 68
latest reply

I'm so upset, I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight.

I just opened a store for my media account and acquired 200 new items and now I'm looking at $8.50 to mail a DVD.  Or, on this account, a small, lightweight eyeliner.  Had we been given some warning, I might have devoted my time and energy to opening my own website instead of opening an eBay store.  Of all the changes we've had shoved down our throats, this is the hardest to swallow.

I'm so ticked off, there are no words!!!!!

Message 19 of 68
latest reply

I know as much as you do but I just checked again and still see light packet on the CP calculator.  

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s5

You searched for a rate
Find Another Rate
Item Details

Edit details
From
T0M 1M0
To
California
Length
20.00 cm
Width
20.00 cm
Height
2.00 cm
Weight
0.100 kg

Light PacketTM - USA - $6.84
Options
Options
Not Applicable
Not Applicable

Please note:
These prices are estimates and subject to adjustment by Canada Post.
Limitations to size, weight and coverage vary for international destinations (See Postal Guide).

Rate Summary
Regular price $6.84
Coverage
Options $0.00
Fuel Surcharge $0.00
Tax $0.00
Total $6.84
Choose your preferred service and proceed to es

Message 20 of 68
latest reply