Paying in Canadian funds.

I have a buyer who want to pay in Canadian funds. I told her to go to the .ca site and it comes up in Canadian, but she says that they still ask for payment in US dollars. Is there a way to do this?

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

You could make a special listing just for her on dotCA using her name as the title but otherwise copying the original dotCOM listing.

Since she is shopping on dotCOM, otherwise she would see your pricing in loonies and could pay in loonies, I think you have a pretty high maintenance snowflake there.

Give her a short deadline (24 hours perhaps) and if she doesn't buy, end the listing and Block her as a time-waster.

Some sales are not worth having.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Thank you femmefan.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

It’s been a very long time since I have done this but I think I have just sent an invoice with the amount converted Into Canadian dollars and then the buyer could pay in Cdn Funds. May not be possible any more due to all the changes on eBay but you could try. But maybe the buyer has to be in Canada for that to work?

Message 5 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

You could make a special listing just for her on dotCA using her name as the title but otherwise copying the original dotCOM listing.

Since she is shopping on dotCOM, otherwise she would see your pricing in loonies and could pay in loonies, I think you have a pretty high maintenance snowflake there.

Give her a short deadline (24 hours perhaps) and if she doesn't buy, end the listing and Block her as a time-waster.

Some sales are not worth having.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Thank you femmefan.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

@triber wrote:

I have a buyer who want to pay in Canadian funds. I told her to go to the .ca site and it comes up in Canadian, but she says that they still ask for payment in US dollars. Is there a way to do this?

If your original listing is in US$ then the buyer pays in US$ (even when eBay shows otherwise).

You would have to create a listing on ebay.CA for the sale to be in Canadian $

Sounds like a Buyer hoping to avoid currency exchange fees.

This might change when eBay switches over to Ayden as the ebay payment processor in a couple of years. With perhaps, the Buyer paying what the Buyer sees. If that happens cross-currency refunds with nasty exchange rate differences will disappear.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

It’s been a very long time since I have done this but I think I have just sent an invoice with the amount converted Into Canadian dollars and then the buyer could pay in Cdn Funds. May not be possible any more due to all the changes on eBay but you could try. But maybe the buyer has to be in Canada for that to work?

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

@vintagenorth wrote:

It’s been a very long time since I have done this but I think I have just sent an invoice with the amount converted Into Canadian dollars and then the buyer could pay in Cdn Funds. May not be possible any more due to all the changes on eBay but you could try.

Pretty sure that went away when ebay switched listing on ebay.ca  to Canadian $ only.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@vintagenorth wrote:

It’s been a very long time since I have done this but I think I have just sent an invoice with the amount converted Into Canadian dollars and then the buyer could pay in Cdn Funds. May not be possible any more due to all the changes on eBay but you could try.

Pretty sure that went away when ebay switched listing on ebay.ca  to Canadian $ only.

I see that Tyler said something similar in the weekly chat but I am fairly sure that you could never send a new invoice directly from ebay in a different currency.   The buyer could purchase the item without paying for it and then the seller could send an invoice in a different currency through Paypal. That is definitely more difficult to do now though because ebay forces immediate payment on some items. Also, asking for the buyers Paypal email address before a sale could cause problems for the seller. In some cases though, it should still be doable.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

@vintagenorth wrote:

Thanks, she decided to pay in US, in all the years I have sold on eBay, no-one has ever asked me to do that. The seller is a 81 year old Canadian lady, it was quite a cheap craft book, so there would not have been much of a loss with the exchange if any.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

People ask to pay us in CAD every so often. Usually they come around to USD but depending on our assessment of the buyer we will let them purchase, ask them to defer payment, then invoice them directly using PayPal in CAD.

eBay themselves once suggested this when we called in - they stated the direct invoice was okay as long as they had already purchased the item and all correspondence took place within the message system.

Do any Canadians have difficulty charging tax to Canadian buyers on sales through eBayCOM?

Our set-up won't allow us to charge tax... we have to send a separate PP invoice. Very frustrating for all.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

If your tax rate chart is set up on .ca in site preferences those should transfer over to .com listings and to the invoices. On your ,com listings have you checked off ‘charge applicable tax at checkout’?  You will have to click on customize to check that.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@tryubik-useonlyasdirected wrote:

People ask to pay us in CAD every so often. Usually they come around to USD but depending on our assessment of the buyer we will let them purchase, ask them to defer payment, then invoice them directly using PayPal in CAD.

eBay themselves once suggested this when we called in - they stated the direct invoice was okay as long as they had already purchased the item and all correspondence took place within the message system.

^^^^^This!

PayPal invoice in CAD, when paid use "mark as paid" on eBay. There is ZERO problem with this, there is no fee avoidance, when you "mark as paid" eBay will charge the fvf on shipping (plus on the buyers end it will show as paid).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

One other thing.......

To invoice the buyer via PayPal you will need their email address, I get them for all transactions immediately through the API but I think eBay is hiding them to a greater degree these days at least as far as those who use the My eBay or the Seller Hub.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@pjcdn2005

"If your tax rate chart is set up on .ca in site preferences those should transfer over to .com listings and to the invoices. On your ,com listings have you checked off ‘charge applicable tax at checkout’"

Seriously? It's that easy?! I will go do so now. I had no idea the two overlapped.

If only customer service was as knowledgeable as this forum.

@recped

I think eBay is hiding them to a greater degree these days at least as far as those who use the My eBay or the Seller Hub.

eMail addresses are still showing up for us in the Record area and in the Buyer username/email area of the Manage all Orders page.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@recped 

API? 

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

@recped 

API? 

Application Programming Interface

Basically the system under which users such as you and me communicate with eBay's systems.

A company the size and complexity of eBay will have several API's and will develop new ones over time. The Legacy API's (old ones) that no longer have the capability to handle new system developments cost money to maintain. Software such as TL which use the older systems have to be re-written to work with the newer systems. This costs a lot of money so when the time comes that few if any systems operate through the Legacy API there is a desire to end those old services, if you are not prepared to upgrade and the old API is shutdown that will be the end of TL functionality as they will no longer be able to communicate with eBay. TL itself will continue to function locally on your desktop but it will not be able to transfer data to or from eBay. It would still be possible to use TL locally and create .csv files to upload to eBay via File Exchange (File Exchange is really a user interface to the API). On the other hand if or when eBay restructures their systems (even small small changes like adding new required data fields) TL will no longer work properly.

Keep in mind that the guts of TL are now more than 15 years old (a lifetime in this area), it would need to be completely re-written in order to function long term. Given that almost everything is moving to the cloud these days nobody wants to spend money developing desktop application anymore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_programming_interface

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

@pjcdn2005

It works, today was our first Canadian sale since turning on the tax table and Canadian tax auto-calculated smoothly. Very pleased, no more supplementary PayPal invoices required.

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

I'm glad that it worked! Thanks for letting me know.

Message 17 of 17
latest reply