Peculiar situation with buyer. How to resolve?

I have a peculiar situation with a buyer. I sent an item out last week  which UPS delivered. The buyer immediately opened  return request which was more of a complaint saying that the tracking shows it was delivered to the wrong ZIP code. I checked and it shows the correct street address in the tracking so I said they probably just didn't enter the correct ZIP. The buyer didn't want to accept that answer. So I asked if he received it or not? The buyer said he's not sure and would have to drive all the way to the receiving location to check. I thought that's really strange and he clarified that he wasn't actually the receiver. I went back and said I checked with my UPS representative who also clarified that it appears at the correct address, just that it showed a different ZIP, but that if the package was lost then I could open a case. However, he still doesn't want to accept that as any solution, doesn't want to follow up with the receiver to confirm and is still making a deal of it. This is really peculiar and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestion.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Peculiar situation with buyer. How to resolve?

i would ask the UPS rep. to change the info, and put the correct zip code in for you. Then the buyer will have nothing to complain about.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

i would ask the UPS rep. to change the info, and put the correct zip code in for you. Then the buyer will have nothing to complain about.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

hlmacdon
Community Member

Have you verified the original zip to see if it was accurate?  Sounds like the buyer is using a forwarder or package receiving service.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Do NOT refund until you have this straight in your own head.

And if the buyer gets demanding, encourage him to open a Not Received dispute.

If he is messing you about, he may not want to have eBay involved in any way.

Also, it is not unusualy for one address to have multiple postal/zip codes. Think of apartment towers, or commercial towers where there may be one or two hundred units in the same business.

I had a silly one last year (not eBay) where the buyer gave me his business address, the postie returned it saying the address did not exist, I looked on Google Maps and there it was (and obviously had been for years).

After discussion with the buyer, I readdressed the package to the front door of the business instead of the freight dock, which was technically on another street.
Both doors had the business name prominently displayed.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

The Canada forums seemed a little slow so I also posted this in the .com site. I'm kind of going with what they're saying there.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

@electronic_dist_intl, sent you a PM.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I have started taking a photo (for my own files) of any package I send

to buyers on Ebay.  This way I have a photo of the address and postal

code or zip code if there is any questions from the buyer.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

My postal code is almost exactly 2 1/2 houses... its 95% of my house (literally if I stand in the closet in one room in the corner its another postal code), my neighbour's house next to me same side of street entirely, and about 55% of the next house next to him. The guy across the street in front of my driveway... sixty feet away is an entirely different code. The house next to that closet is still another postal code. The guy across the street in front of the two of us is yet another code.  I would not be surprised if as someone else... many different zip codes existed for the same condominium / apartment complex. Oh that 55% of a house in my postal code.... the other 45% is in still yet another code.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply