Possible not as described issue

ceenare
Community Member
Hi. I was careful to describe an item but now that it has sold, and I'm about to ship I see a broken piece that is now obvious that I didn't describe it correctly. What is fair for everyone? Should I Just refund the buyer? Will eBay honor an agreement we made should the buyer eventually change his mind? Tia.
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Possible not as described issue

If it were me, I would tell them the truth, I would take a picture of the broken piece and send them a message explaining the problem (or you can call them) along with the picture.

If it affects the value, I'd let them help decide the partial refund in order now, or after they receive it, or to cancel the transaction.  (you can probably get away with "buyer changed mind" if they do decide to cancel it, and it doesn't count against them or you as far as I know). In my experience, giving them the "power" of the decision making makes the whole process a LOT more friendly and 95% of the time appropriate (the odd time one will get a knob that picks a wildly too expensive partial refund amount which is politely provided then they're blocked)

I have had this happen where I sent the wrong (different one than was pictured) or the description was wrong etc. In ALL cases there were no problems and I had no problems with the buyers (but I live in the relative happy/honest stamp world).

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I would  write the buyer, explain the problem and apologize. I would also send them a picture of the area where it is broken as some buyers are a bit suspicious of cancellations.  If it's a possibility that they might still want the item, you could offer to still send it but at a discounted price.    Otherwise, you need to cancel the transaction through ebay which will refund them in full. You will get back your ebay and Paypal fees other than the .30 transaction PP fee.  It's possible that you will get a defect on your account as well.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Truth is absolutely the only way. My concern is making an agreement via email discussion but have him change is mind after receipt, then having to go thru what I want to avoid in the first place.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Yes, it's an easy, no cost repair, just the skill and interest required to do so. I will take this approach and feel the buyer out. Many thanks.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

If you give them control over deciding the price differentiation it is very much more likely you won't have problems after receipt (aside from the probably relatively small risk of an inappropriately high decision on their part early on).

I think these decisions are most easily answered by "if you were them what would you want you to do".

Doing that does entail some $$$ risk of a bad buyer that misuses the situation, but that is probably not nearly the $$$ risk of other approaches, and it can also encourage a repeat customer when they see they've been treated as an honest buyer.

But again I sell stamps.....

Later edit: Ooops I forgot you were the train person. I've known a lot of train guys, it seems to be a common co-collected thing of stamp/train collectors, so I think you would be well served by giving them the "power", I'd be surprised if you got a "knob" buyer....

Message 6 of 6
latest reply