Putting mutiple items in shopping cart to request final total

us-eh
Community Member

The most common problem I encounter is a buyer wanting to buy a couple items but need an invoice before paying that shows my discounts for combined shipping. Buyers often say they don't get this option to put items in cart but have to pay for each item. What step are they missing on their end or is this a problem I created.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I don't find it difficult to add multiple items to the cart.  The process may work a bit differently on each site but when I just added items to my cart on .ca from your store, I added one item, then back spaced twice to get back to your store and then repeated.  Once the buyers have their items in the cart they can click on request total on the top right side of the cart.

However, if the seller has immediate payment required or if the items in the cart has free shipping or is on sale, the request total button will be grayed out. Also for the request total to work, you must have set up in your shipping preferences that you allow combined shipping and payments.

https://www.ebay.ca/ship/prf

Apparently, there are times when the request total just doesn't work but I don't know why.  I have also read that on the app (which i've never used) that there is not a request total button in the cart.

The only way to get around that situation is to set up combined shipping rules in your shipping preferences.  You might want to consider setting up a few different rules..one for lighter comics, one for heavier comics, one for 45's etc.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

@us-eh wrote:

The most common problem I encounter is a buyer wanting to buy a couple items but need an invoice before paying that shows my discounts for combined shipping. Buyers often say they don't get this option to put items in cart but have to pay for each item. What step are they missing on their end or is this a problem I created.

If the buyer is shopping on a PC there is still no option to add multiple items to cart. (The buyer needs to open a new window for each item added.) Also there are situations where request a revised invoice is not an option. (Not there or grayed out.) Examples: If you have items listed on both sites you can't combine them. When best offer is being used. As of MP there is no way for a buyer to send a seller a message direct from Payment. It has to be done through regular eBay message channels. As a seller if/when you are able to send a revised invoice you should be able to send a note if there are any additional instructions/requirements. There may be other scenarios where request invoice or send revised invoice are not avialable but all that come to mind at the moment.

-Lotz

PS. Just tested add to cart on a PC and still D.O.A.

-Lotz

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

us-eh
Community Member

Thanks for taking your time to reply to my issue. If a person is on a PC does he put the first item in the cart and then close the page and then search and select a second item  and then be able to add it to the first item that is already there?

The odd time someone seems to be able to ask for a revised invoice. Can they select multiple items without hitting pay on each of them and then go to eBay messages and request invoice. Would I be able to see their cart?

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@us-eh 

The only time I have used add to cart are for the shipping supply store and dvd sellers. On a PC it seems to be a built in glitch. Add to cart works fine with a tablet/smart phone. I just add first item to cart then open a new window to the sellers page and add the next one. Repeat.

When the buyer pays in theory they should be able to combine purchases into one payment but alternatively it can be messy if the buyer pays as individual payments. Same goes for creating postage to combine the orders. In Shippo you should be able to combine by checking off the applicable transaction. No idea how that would work with eBay Labels or even if it would.

One other situation that throws a wrench into things is if a seller has automatic payment required. That would, pardon the term and language, "trump" requesting a revised invoice.

-Lotz

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I don't find it difficult to add multiple items to the cart.  The process may work a bit differently on each site but when I just added items to my cart on .ca from your store, I added one item, then back spaced twice to get back to your store and then repeated.  Once the buyers have their items in the cart they can click on request total on the top right side of the cart.

However, if the seller has immediate payment required or if the items in the cart has free shipping or is on sale, the request total button will be grayed out. Also for the request total to work, you must have set up in your shipping preferences that you allow combined shipping and payments.

https://www.ebay.ca/ship/prf

Apparently, there are times when the request total just doesn't work but I don't know why.  I have also read that on the app (which i've never used) that there is not a request total button in the cart.

The only way to get around that situation is to set up combined shipping rules in your shipping preferences.  You might want to consider setting up a few different rules..one for lighter comics, one for heavier comics, one for 45's etc.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Another problem arises when the customer is buying from a single seller, but the items are on multiple sites, usually dotCA and dotCOM.

The cart can't manage that.

Neither can Paypal, which insists that only items in the same currency can be combined.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

There have been issues with the shopping cart on eBay since day one. As you said sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  Which doesn't surprise me as a lot of things one eBay are like that. Mostly due to them always messing around and changing things. In my opinion they have become one of the most difficult sites to navigate for both sellers and buyers. I constantly get messages from frustrated buyers trying to combine items.  Most of the time it works okay for Canadian members buying from a Canadian seller on .ca but glitches often come up with US buyers on .com trying to combine items in the cart from me.  And yes I have my settings right. Just happened again 2 days ago. After a 2 day delay and numerous messages back and forth we finally managed to get it to work and believe it or not the only way it worked was from his desktop computer. There was no request total on his phone or on his laptop but there was one on his computer? Go figure! I know for a fact I have lost many sales because the buyer just gives up and doesn't bother.  Yes, I could just let the buyer go ahead and pay for each item and shipping separately and refund them afterwards. I'll be darned if I will swallow the extra fees because eBay can't make a system which should be simple work properly.  It is not like it is something new. The shopping cart has been around for  years now.  Hooray in a few days I will no longer have to deal with all these headaches anymore!

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I continually have problems with this, sometimes it works, often it doesn't. Often my buyer tells me that it says "This seller does not combine shipping". All my settings are correct. I tell my buyers exactly how to do it with the cart instructions and to let me know if it doesn't work and I will do a special listing for them. It cumbersome and time comsuming, but sometimes it's the only way.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

One day last week I took the time to check-out availability of the Request Invoice button on desktop, the app, and on my mobile browser (no app). My findings were discouraging;

• on desktop ... the Request Total was live and appeared as normal, I did not actually select it to test.
  • on the app ... my Samsung Tab was just updated and I'm on the the most recent app version available, there is NO Request Total button, there's no method of requesting an invoice that I could locate.
  • on mobile browser (no app) there was once again, NO Request Total button or equivalent functionality that I could locate.
  • these scenarios were all tested adding multiple listings to the ebay.ca cart, after striking out on 2 of 3 tests I lost interest in testing things on DOTcom.
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

EBAY TRIES TO DEFEAT PEOPLE FROM POSTING MESSAGES HERE THEY DON'T LIKE!  What a joke ebay is.

Recently I added 10 items from one seller into my cart.   When I went to pay I noticed each item showed $10.75 (for USPS 1st class?) - for a total of $107.50 to ship 10 small items that would all fit easily into a USPS FLAT RATE MEDIUM BOX for $17.50.   So, well I thought, I'll do a REQUEST TOTAL to see if seller can combine shipping but, if you notice - upon making that request your are COMMITTING TO PURCHASE without an answer to your question.   LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Needless to say I cancelled all the items and that seller lost out on a very nice multiple-item sale, I'm not going to waste my time sending a message to a seller for each item I want to purchase or get caught out by ebay forcing me to commit to purchase for asking the seller a question.  Bad system, ebay - but so typical.  If you're a seller that  knows your customers often make multiple-item purchases and you do not indicate in your listings that you COMBINE SHIPPING I will bypass you and your offerings. 

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2021

The problem with zombie threads is that the information is often out of date and no longer useful.

In this case eBay no longer allows sellers to use Paypal and almost everyone has set up a Managed Payments account.

If you have a problem it is best to start a new thread than to add to a long dead discussion.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Yes, it is a zombie thread, but it makes it even sadder because it is still a problem!!! Yesterday a buyer tried to get an invoice for a combined shipping amount for 5 items, wouldn't work. I usually end up sending a special listing. Surely after all this time it should have been fixed!!

Message 12 of 12
latest reply