Refund DSR question

A customer recenty purchased 4 items from me and paid for them individually,He also paid the shipping on the 4 items individually.This happens every so often.

I was just about to issue him a refund for 3 of the shipping charges but was wondering if that will cause me to receive a defect..These defects have got me spooked now.Thanks for your advice.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Refund DSR question

You can issue a part refund through paypal, no defect issues. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Refund DSR question

Never make a full refund on one purchase.

If the purchase was $20 for the item with $10 shipping... as an example only...

and you have to make a refund.

Refund each item up to a maximum of $10... the cost of shipping.

Do not make a full refund of $30 on one purchase.....  eBay will call that a defect... many sellers has found this out.

The keyword is ... full refund on one item purchased   ... to eBay this means you no longer have this item for sale... or it has already been sold

If this person bought four  items  with a shipping cost of $10 each,  and you have to refund $30

Refund a maximum of $10 off  EACH  of three items.....

If you are refunding shipping...  as stated here ... refund "only" the shipping part paid on each item...

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Refund DSR question

Excellent advice Thanks allot !!
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Refund DSR question

@cumos55 wrote:

Never make a full refund on one purchase.

If the purchase was $20 for the item with $10 shipping... as an example only...

and you have to make a refund.

Refund each item up to a maximum of $10... the cost of shipping.

Do not make a full refund of $30 on one purchase.....  eBay will call that a defect... many sellers has found this out.

The keyword is ... full refund on one item purchased   ... to eBay this means you no longer have this item for sale... or it has already been sold

If this person bought four  items  with a shipping cost of $10 each,  and you have to refund $30

Refund a maximum of $10 off  EACH  of three items.....

If you are refunding shipping...  as stated here ... refund "only" the shipping part paid on each item...

cumos55,

Can you clarify this a bit more... sorry I don't quite get it.

Because I was about to issue a refund of 100%, are you saying that will give me a defect?

Thanks!

You only fail when you don't try!
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Refund DSR question

More like, if one widget is $40 with shipping and you are going to refund $40 worth of shipping, do not do it on one widget as that would end up being a full refund on that one, triggering a defect.

Photobucket
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Refund DSR question

@greenmangoes wrote:

Can you clarify this a bit more... sorry I don't quite get it.

Because I was about to issue a refund of 100%, are you saying that will give me a defect?

There are three separate situations to watch for in terms of defects:

#1)  A scenario like the OP's, where the buyer purchases items individually and pays full shipping on each, and the seller wants to refund the buyer for excess shipping paid (incidentally, I think this is still happening to a lot of us because U.S. buyers can't properly use the cart -- see the most recent Wed. board discussion with the eBay.ca staff -- they are "working on it'). 

In this case, you want to make sure that the amount of shipping you refund doesn't equal any one item total, or it will be seen by eBay as a full refund "without cause" (i.e. seller's, not buyer's, error). 

So what you do is spread the shipping reimbursements around more or less evenly to avoid creating a full refund on any one transaction, even if this does mean the slight hassle of having to open each separate Paypal transaction and refund a portion only, until the total refunds equal the total amount of excess shipping you want to give back to the buyer. 

Now, obviously, you're not going to get your eBay FVFs back on the shipping amount that you're refunding -- this is a sore spot for sellers that eBay has never addressed -- but usually it's a fairly small amount.  Some sellers actually reduce the amount of the refund by the amount of FVFs paid on the refund, but I don't usually do that, out of courtesy for my buyer, or unless it's a significant amount.  I once had to refund over $45 in shipping to a European purchaser, and in that case I did deduct the 9% FVFs before refunding.

#2)  A situation where a buyer has made a mistake in purchasing something and wants to cancel the transaction (now buyers can do this within 1 hour of purchase!), and/or both parties agree to cancel because of buyer error of some kind.  In this case, you can issue a full refund (if the buyer has already paid), but you must make sure you follow through with the cancellation, using an "acceptable" reason (i.e. not that you were out of stock or sold the item(s) to another buyer -- those two reasons are eBay no-no's).

#3)  As noted above, a full refund because of seller error will get you a defect regardless of how nice you are to your customer.  Because of this, eBay now considers a full refund to be an automatic defect unless there is a cancellation for the right reason, so it's important to avoid a full refund unless the buyer has requested a cancellation of the transaction. 

Mostly, as the OP says, this problem occurs when buyers make a significant overpayment in shipping on multiple items of relatively low value.  Obviously if you're selling individual items, each of which has a value higher than the total shipping refund, you can do the refund on one of those items.  In that case, I usually pick the highest-priced item on which to process the refund.  For example, if you need to make a $30 total refund and you have one item that's sold for $50 (not including shipping), then you should be OK as it will be shown as only a partial refund on that transaction. 

Still, it's generally best to spread the refund around -- you'll need a pencil and paper (or calculator) to keep track of the running total as you do each refund through Paypal.

Not a simple (or logical) process by any means is it?  But this is the workaround eBay has forced us sellers to do to avoid unfair defects.  If and when the long-promised cart fix is ever done between .com and .ca, hopefully we won't have this problem anymore!

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Refund DSR question

Thank you for the detail explanation Smiley Very Happy

#1: I brought this up to ebay on one of the weekly discussions couple weeks ago and I see that you did this week as well.  I guess we just have to keep at it as this cart issue is causing more work than necessary.  I just don't get why it's taking so long...

Now, obviously, you're not going to get your eBay FVFs back on the shipping amount that you're refunding -- this is a sore spot for sellers that eBay has never addressed -- but usually it's a fairly small amount.

Maybe they should practice what they preach...  They want us to refund the buyer why not refund us - especially when it's not our fault - ummmm

#2: This is currently my situation.

You only fail when you don't try!
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Refund DSR question

Regarding situation 2 - Buyer made a "mistake"...

I had a buyer purchase something and instantly ask for a refund.  I said no problem, refunded them in full and asked them to kindly agree that they had requested the cancellation.  I assured them it would not have a negative impact on their account.

They have not responded at all to closing the case and agreeing that they requested the cancellation.  If I close the case, this will count as a defect because the buyer has not confirmed they requested a refund.

There is no seller defect here but it seems it will be treated as one.

What to do???

Message 9 of 9
latest reply