Sales dropped off a cliff on Friday.

I have been selling quite well for July, at least 2 or 3 a day, so far 30 sales up to Thursday July 13.  Now nothing, usually each weekend I would have at least 5 to 6 sales.  It is like ebay turned my lights off.  I'm wondering if other have noticed or is it only me?

Message 1 of 131
latest reply
130 REPLIES 130

Re: Sales dropped off a cliff on Friday.

This is completely off-topic, I know, but that's a very interesting article from the Guardian.  Down the rabbit hole for real.  Just add Bitcoin to the picture, and you have the ideal criminal workspace. 

I can understand though why people with absolutely no nefarious intentions might want to turn to this sort of service, what with the knowledge that Big Brother (if not Big Commerce) is watching so many of us so much of the time.  For many, I imagine it isn't a question of having something to hide as much as the creepy idea that everything about us may be accessible to certain groups or agencies.  

I'm not in the tin foil hat brigade, but frankly, which of us really knows who is watching and collecting our thoughts (literally)?  I do admit I've got a piece of white paper pasted over my laptop's camera eye.  Orwell would approve. (LOL).  

Actually, Orwell envisioned the TV as the source of state control and spying, and imagined the deep fear people would have of it.  Little did he know that spying would be made so easy by a population that by and large would eagerly and willingly adopt the marvels of the technology (us) in exchange for accepting potential snooping and outright personal invasion.  Marry that to a generation brought up completely in sync with such technology (not mine), and you have, at the very least, a new social experiment.  

Ironically, reading this article about Tor, I couldn't help but think that this is the kind of privacy we had at the very start.  Those of us who are old enough will remember the beginnings of www, and telephone line dial-up services.  It was a whole lot harder for anyone to spy on us then.   

Message 121 of 131
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Sales are rumoured to beget higher placements which beget sales which..... 

To return to the original subject of this thread, I've heard this said too, and wish I could believe it were true.  However my experience for a few years now has been that almost every time I've had a big surge or cluster of sales, the activity abruptly stops a few days later, followed by a total "dead zone". 

You would think that if sales alone drove more sales, that nice snowball would keep on going, but it never does, at least not since about 2013.  Prior to that, sales just kept clicking along on a fairly regular (and reliable) basis, so much so that I could predict which days of the week were going to be best. 

What I have found to be true for my particular business is that when I list a whole bunch of new items, or one particularly attractive item, suddenly I get activity.  Unfortunately that activity also drops off pretty quickly.  I suspect there must come a saturation point where no number of new or fascinating listings will make much difference to the eBay bots in terms of making your items appeal to buyers.  Sooner or later, I think all the factors that go into what creates a sale even out, and you either meet them overall, or you don't, on any given day.  

Message 122 of 131
latest reply

"Those of us who are old enough will remember the beginnings of www, and telephone line dial-up services."
Old enough and still on dial up (thanks BELL) they have estimated that in my area we will be off dial up in the next 5-10 years!!!!
It was a trade off that I was aware of not staying in the GTA, as frustrating as it is, I just need to look out my window and it is well worth it.
Message 123 of 131
latest reply

I downloaded Tor and searched for Dan Gibson Solitudes of which I have 29 listed.  Guess how many showed up using TOR, not one, nada, nothing.  No wonder I am not getting any sales, no one can see my stuff.  

Quite eye opening.  Thanks, not much I can do about it. 

Message 124 of 131
latest reply

Update, I input my postal code into ebay and then some of my listings showed up.  Weird.

Message 125 of 131
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

I downloaded Tor and searched for Dan Gibson Solitudes of which I have 29 listed.  Guess how many showed up using TOR, not one, nada, nothing.  No wonder I am not getting any sales, no one can see my stuff.  

Quite eye opening.  Thanks, not much I can do about it. 

The same thing happened to me.  But I learned that because Tor assigns a random IP address, it's possible I was using one from a country to which I don't ship .... any country outside of North America.  I tried it a couple of more times and the same thing happened -- nothing.

I know you ship worldwide or, at least, to many countries, so I don't know if this applies to you or if both of us have listings which are not visible, resulting in almost no sales (in my case).

Message 126 of 131
latest reply

The same thing happened to me.  But I learned that because Tor assigns a random IP address, it's possible I was using one from a country to which I don't ship .... any country outside of North America.  I tried it a couple of more times and the same thing happened -- nothing.

Hi Jt, I think that's what happened to me.  Somehow Ukraine was assigned and that is why it didn't show up as I don't ship there.

Message 127 of 131
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

Hi Jt, I think that's what happened to me.  Somehow Ukraine was assigned and that is why it didn't show up as I don't ship there.

How were you able to tell it was from the Ukraine?

Message 128 of 131
latest reply

Before I added my postal code and Canada, it showed Ukraine there.  

Message 129 of 131
latest reply

Hi Jt, I just tried it again and it put me in Iceland. 

Message 130 of 131
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

Hi Jt, I just tried it again and it put me in Iceland. 

Interesting!  So this may not be a good way to search for our listings.  It's unlikely they would give us an IP address originating from our own country.  If you try it from time to time, you may finally get a country to which you ship.  Let us know if that happens.
Message 131 of 131
latest reply