Self insurance cookie jar RICARMICs statistics to 2019

It is that time of year again!!!....

Overall Notes:

-I live in the stamp collectors world, so these results are all from postage stamp selling categories

-prior to 2018 I sold only on .COM. Beginning 2018 Canadian centric stuff is listed on .CA, everything else on .COM. Note that now .CA also includes stuff which has high shipping cost to the USA but not Canada - for example something that retails for $12 but costs small packet $7.54 to ship now. It is listed now on .CA for the Canadian price/rate and US folks pay additional shipping. I have not noticed any decline in sales rate to the USA for these types of items. In fact it might even be higher!

-I ship worldwide, and I have no blocks on buyers (but I do maintain a blocked buyer list)

-this includes items lost to "crime" as well. "Crime" is defined here as situations where I think people purposefully buy with bad echeques, or claiming lost in transit but that is only from using my spider senses.

-I sell a lot of stuff internationally, over 35% of my packages go outside North America

-the numbers below are specific to eBay sales. As I mentioned in other threads, I experience losses both real and "crime" related via the other online venues I use so package loss rate is not only an ebay buyer issue.

It is also worth noting that for 2019 I continued to have 3 types of insurance:

1. Self insurance for the small stuff
  2. Canada Post for the first $100 only when items are sent expedited, expresspost, or trackable
  3. 3rd party insurer (Hugh Wood) for stuff over $200

(Note that I did not utilize 2 or 3 in 2019, 2018, 2017 or 2016)

2019 results

% of shipments = .0047 = under 1/2 of 1% of packages lost, so about 1 in 212 packages are lost

% of $ sales = .0041 = under 1/2 of 1% this is much higher than last year but a more normal %

11 items "lost" in 2019 Czech(1), Hungary*(1), Romania(1), Russia(1), Sri Lanka (1), UK(2), Ukraine(1), USA(3)

0 believed to be lost to "crime" (none that I felt strongly about)

11 lost and unrecovered (this is the most unrecovereds, but some may bleed over to 2020)

0 repaid

Things of note in 2019.

-this is more of a normal loss rate

-the lost package to Hungary was to a many times repeat customer before and after loss

-all lost packages were not tracked

-I mailed to a lot of "scary" countries this year and most of them are not on the loss list!

-in 2019 I raised the bar on tracking, I tracked fewer packages "close to the line" in 2019. So far, zero tracked losses, so this theoretically would have saved maybe half of the loss $ if I incorporated it but I did not because I didn't closely track the relevant savings.

-see comment under what I've begun listing on .CA that used to be on .COM

2018 results

% of shipments = .0018 = under 1/5 of 1% of packages lost, so about 1 in 550 packages are lost

% of sales = .00044 = under 1/20 of 1% ie almost negligible percent loss rate $ wise

4 items "lost" in 2018 Canada(2), USA, USA forwarder to Paraguay

1 believed to be lost to "crime" (Paraguay forwarded)

4 lost and unrecovered

0 repaid

Things of note in 2018.

-this is the lowest loss rate since I've been reviewing this way, previous record low was 8

-all lost packages were not tracked

-no items so far lost due to Canada Post strike

-I mailed to a lot of "scary" countries this year and so far only losses have been to Canada or US addresses

-only significant 2018 change was beginning to list material on .CA

2017 results

% of shipments = .0071 = under 3/4 of 1% of packages lost, so about 1 in 140 packages are lost

(all lost packages were  not tracked)

% of sales = .0044 = under 1/2 of one percent loss rate $ wise

13 items "lost"*** in 2017 Australia,Canada(5),Colombia,Italy,Russia(2),USA(3*)

3 believed to be lost to "crime" (Canada,Russia(2) based on spider senses)

10 lost and unrecovered(so far). 1 Found later** Canada, 2 arrived later & repaid Colombia, Italy

3 repaid (Buyer found or advised delivery later and repaid: Canada, Colombia, Italy)

*2 of the USA losses were to USA forwarding companies (1 buyer from Paraguay, 1 buyer from China)

** on return from vacation, lot was lost in a pile of junk mail which was not dealt with and found for a few weeks

*** 1 lost lot to Canada and 1 to Italy were lost to long time, regular buyers who have continued to purchase regularly since AOK.

Things I did in 2017.

-nothing new it seems in 2017 different from 2016

2016 results

% of shipments = .004 = under one half of 1% of packages are lost, so about 1 in 250 packages are lost

% of sales = .0024 = about one quarter of 1 percent loss rate

8 "lost" in 2016 USA(2),Canada,India,Oman,Russia,Australia,Bolivia

1 believed to be lost to "crime" (based on spider senses)

7 lost and unrecovered(so far). 1 USA advised arrival later and repaid

1 repaid (Buyer advised delivery later and repaid: USA)

1 odd situation, other USA buyer convinced me to unblock them and they successfully purchased 3 more items

Things I did in 2016.

-I China & Brazil require trackable shipping, ie lowest shipping $17.50 regardless item size. Number of buyers especially China increased over the year, they began buying batches of stuff to make the postage palatable.

-decided against adding extra custom shipping costs to Russian buyers (not tracking) so far, am also considering doing the same for others

-I sell in US$ so the lower $C rate gives me more room to make packages trackable, which I’ve been doing more to new buyers and/or buyers in scary countries

-I did change my flat rate shipping to Standard Shipping (outside the US) to add a few more days to the est delivery date

2015 results

% of shipments = .0097 = about 1% of packages are lost, so about 1 in 100 packages are lost

% of sales = .0090 = about 1 percent loss rate

13 "lost" in 2015 Russia(5) Belarus, Canada, China, French Polynesia, Kuwait, Pakistan, South Africa, Sri Lanka

3 believed to be lost to "crime" (Russia, ordered 3 separately close together)

9 lost and unrecovered(so far)

1 repaid (Buyer advised delivery later and repaid: Canada)

Things I did in 2015.

-I changed China and Brazil to custom shipping requiring trackable shipping, ie lowest shipping $17.50 regardless item size. Number of buyers dropped dramatically.

-am considering adding extra custom shipping costs to Russian buyers (not tracking), however had many sales, including one for $1500 which more than offsets the minor losses.

-I sell in US$ so the lower $C rate gives me more room to make packages trackable, which I’ve been doing more to new buyers and/or buyers in scary countries

2014 results

% of shipments = .0051 = 1/2 a % of packages are lost, so about  1 in 200 packages are lost

% of sales = .0040 = .4% of sales ie less than 1/2 of one percent loss rate

10 "lost" in 2014 USA(2) Nepal(1) China(2) Brazil(3) Germany(1) Russia (1)

2 believed to be lost to "crime" (China)

5 lost and unrecovered(so far) USA(2) Brazil (2) Russia

3 repaid (Buyer advised delivery later and repaid: Nepal,Germany,Brazil)

2013 results one half of one percent of sales loss rate:

0.51% "insurance" loss rate (10 unrecovered losses USAx3,Argentina,Chinax3,France,Israel,North Korea)

0.3% as a result of "crime" (6 shipments)

0.21% as a result of items lost in the mail (4 shipments)

(Note in 2013 2 packages “lost” and later arrived and Buyers repaid(Brazil, Russia), 1 package loss partially covered by Canada post, no losses covered by 3rd party insurer)

2012 results - under 1% of sales loss rate:

0.83% "insurance": loss rate (unrecovered loss 9 shipments Argentina,Australia,Brazil,Canada,Chinax2,Indonesia,Russia,Turkey)

0.78% as a result of "crime" (2 shipments)

0.04% as a result of items lost in the mail (7 shipments)

A reminder that 2012 is the year that CP covered the small packets, I had a few recoveries this way.

I had a big crime loss within Canada (this was also spelled out in a different thread).

Message 1 of 1
latest reply
0 REPLIES 0