Seller just used three different ebay accounts and bought 3 different items?

I just had three items bought, but suspicious accounts --- all had strange names...ie had63yd90-ush (Combos of letters and numbers) and 0 feedbacks.  When I looked at the order details, it was the same buyer and address etc.  Should I be concerned?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Seller just used three different ebay accounts and bought 3 different items?

I presume you mean BUYER not seller.

The id's you are seeing are guest buyers, these are people new to eBay who have not yet registered. Each guest id is only good for one purchase and with eBay's forced IPR the have to use a new id for each purchase.

There is nothing to be concerned about and in fact guest buyers unless they register can't leave feedback and can't file some types of claims.

I've sold to plenty of them and it's all good.

If these are truly new eBay users then try to make their experience a nice one so they will come back.

Too often we see a new buyer come to eBay get treated badly and they never come back. The one thing eBay needs more than anything else (and there are a bunch of anything else) is buyers so treat them right.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Re: Seller just used three different ebay accounts and bought 3 different items?

recped is 100 per cent correct. These are Guest Buyers who've come to ebay to shop but aren't creating an account in order to do so. I sell to guests all the time, they collectively comprise some of my best customers. Combine shipping if you can, and make an extra effort to ensure this is a wonderful experience for them. Nothing to fear.  Congrats on the sales. 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

The id's you are seeing are guest buyers, these are people new to eBay who have not yet registered. Each guest id is only good for one purchase and with eBay's forced IPR the have to use a new id for each purchase.
-----------
Thanks for the info, I had no idea ebay offered buyers the option to shop as a "guest".
Possibly due to the fact I never shop on ebay!
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Yes, it's easy to do, the person simply shops without logging into an account or creating one, and then uses their preferred method of payment. 

Here I am, pretending to be a guest, pretending to buy something from momcqueen.

Continue as a GuestContinue as a GuestManual data entryManual data entry

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

(p.s. I did not checkout and pay.)

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Funny I've never seen that "guest" option when I login ... ever.
Maybe there is an eBay "cookie" that recognizes the guest part is not needed or something along those lines.
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I'm glad to know that option exists for new users.
Personally, I'm an infrequent online shopper but my daughters have stuff arriving at our door almost on a daily basis. They both tell me they won't go near ebay because they don't want to have to signup for a PayPal account or ebay either. They shop at all sorts of sites but not ebay.
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

My "kids" are the same.

It makes me glad that my customer base (stamp collectors) aren't normally in their 20s.....
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@kawartha-ephemera wrote:
Funny I've never seen that "guest" option when I login ... ever.
Maybe there is an eBay "cookie" that recognizes the guest part is not needed or something along those lines.

You won't see it if you go to log-in. You'd have to clear your history etc. and come to ebay from, like, google or someplace that doesn't recognize you as a repeat user.  Yes. I avoid accounts on other sites too because I don't need another dozen darn passwords to remember. 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

because they don't want to have to signup for a PayPal account or ebay either.

Although with Paypal, they have the benefit of a 180 day Buyer Protection period.

And it can be used on hundreds of sites.

I guess the millenial generation is more confident about buying online.

BTW, as I understand it the buyer never has to sign up for PP, but can continue paying directly through their credit card now.

Which leaves them more open  if they hit a Bad Transaction.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply