Selling in USD and depositing the funds in a USD account.

I plan to start selling again after a long absence and I have a few questions about MP. I have read the posts on this board but I wasn't able to find what I was looking for.

I am located in Canada but will be listing on .com in USD. For getting my money out of eBay can I...

- have the money deposited into a Canadian based USD account

- or do I have to deposit the money in a US based USD account. 

If the latter I know in the past there were a few different options. You could physically open a USD account at a US bank, you could open a US based account through TD. And there were also workarounds for using a RBC USD account. I was wondering what the current options are and what most people use.

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Selling in USD and depositing the funds in a USD account.

@living*daylights wrote:

Ok, I am calling ebay and now they tell me that I cannot have payouts in USD if I regiestered on ebay ca! What kind of nonsense is that?

Help me out pls. As when regestering I did not have the option to chose the currency payout.

I just responded to you on the other thread.

Message 21 of 30
latest reply

Many of the phone clerks are vague on concepts like "Canada is a sovereign nation" .

Stick with the social media.

Message 22 of 30
latest reply

ctc669 is me! 😄 Because of the IRS requirement, I can no longer sell on .com, hence the creation of this account at .ca.

I've now pointed to 2 places at .ca's information that states Canadians can set up payment in USD, but  when I've explained my situation to various agents, they know nothing about it. The last time I did so, the agent said she'd log a ticket w/ technical services to get it resolved and if it wasn't fixed in 48 hrs, call back. My guess is they have no idea to fix it... because it cannot be fixed, and my only option is to request this account be closed and open another.

Only hesitating b/c eBay was VERY difficult when I first opened this new account, and I worry I'll have problem if I try to register another one .

In the meantime, I have merchandise to move and only Etsy and Poshmark.ca as my current options, the latter being a dud for the most part.

Message 23 of 30
latest reply

Oh, this is interesting... and totally new to me as no agent mentioned any of this. Did you create your account as Individual or Business?

Message 24 of 30
latest reply

@ctc669alternate wrote:

ctc669 is me! 😄Because of the IRS requirement, I can no longer sell on .com, hence the creation of this account at .ca.

I've now pointed to 2 places at .ca's information that states Canadians can set up payment in USD, but  when I've explained my situation to various agents, they know nothing about it. The last time I did so, the agent said she'd log a ticket w/ technical services to get it resolved and if it wasn't fixed in 48 hrs, call back. My guess is they have no idea to fix it... because it cannot be fixed, and my only option is to request this account be closed and open another.

Only hesitating b/c eBay was VERY difficult when I first opened this new account, and I worry I'll have problem if I try to register another one .

As @reallynicestamps suggested a few posts ago, the phone agents seem to be very fuzzy on the concept of Canada.  Their kwik n' durty training probably had very few--if any--references to matters Canadian, and the ones you spoke to probably can't believe that Canadian financial instiutions offer US dollar chequing (checking?) accounts.  Again, try online chat or social media if you need to contact someone who's actually employed by eBay.

The challenges you face(d) in opening another account are likely the result of the IRS issuing some sort of proclamation that sellers who are trying to change their base country from the United States are trying to pull some form of tax evasion.

By the way, if you're owed some payouts on your original account, you're going to find it difficult to close it.

Message 25 of 30
latest reply

Oh, I plan on keeping the .com account open. I do pretty much all of my buying through it and have over 1100 feedback, so would hate to lose that.

I tried online chat and I swear I was communicating w/ AI. Over and over again that 'thing' said a suspension is final, can't do a thing about it, no point talking to a supervisor, we're parting ways, blah, blah, blah. Just an absolute nightmare.

No money owed from that account. I sold a pair of Fluevogs and then the red banner came up stating they wanted tax info, so I cancelled the sale and wound up selling them to the same person elsewhere.

Message 26 of 30
latest reply

First thanks for all the replies. 

Second, what a gong show this seems. Things were so much easier in the past!! 

I am hoping to have the option to sell on either .ca or .com and deposit the funds into a CDN chequing account or a USD chequing account depending on the currency of sale but this seems like it might be a challenge.

Message 27 of 30
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
What’s making it a challenge is your US registration address. I have a very vague memory of an email that went out around the time eBay.ca got started up about the some Canadian sellers having registration information on the US site and there was an invitation to change it with minimal hassles.

Flash-forward to 2021, 2022 and this email and the issue(s?) that prompted the email are likely long forgotten, only to be accidentally unearthed with Managed Payments and what appears to be its tighter level of security.

What you’re hoping to accomplish can only be done with two separate selling IDs: one for the Canadian dollar sales that will have payouts in CDN$ to a Canadian chequing account, the other for US$ sales that will have US$ payments directed to a US$ checking account on Canadian soil. AFAIK, sellers can have only one bank account for payouts attached to their eBay ID/account. 😕
Message 28 of 30
latest reply

I don't think it'll be possible out of one account. I wound up having to create yet another account... Business right from the get-go and there I finally had the option to switch to USD for payout. Apparently, my account is now verified so I can start listing, but will call to verify this. I don't recall there being mention of microdeposits this time, but it's  been such a frustrating circus getting any useful answers from eBay support--regardless of the contact method, that my guess is I'll start listing again, hope for a sale despite a 0 rating, and see what happens with the payout. Good luck to you, OP.

Message 29 of 30
latest reply

it's good to think about because every single exchange of currency carries costs.  Set-up the accounts so there are as few can-u.s./u.s.-can exchanges as possible.  I had one supplier who wanted to be paid in u.s. via paypal and that cost me a lot since payments TO me were going directly into a Canadian dollar bank acount.

Message 30 of 30
latest reply