Shipping Cost Are Very Steep...

Dear eBay, sellers are facing steep shipping costs especially recently. It would be nice if you did not take a percentage off the shipping fees when we sell an item - which shouldn't be the case in the first place.

It's particularly hard for small sellers - I've had a few sales where I made $0 because the shipping is more than what I have listed.

Yes I can increase the shipping rate, but shipping is the thing most customers complain about so increasing it is just going to turn away customers.

You only fail when you don't try!
Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Maybe you should list in Canadian $ on the Canadian site as you are in Canada, then you could use calculated shipping for your Canadian shoppers...

...instead of "chasing" the USD and listing on the US site.

That's why you make $0, because your business model is not accurate or efficient for your Canadian shoppers.

If you are undercutting yourself by guessing your shipping costs within Canada, without factoring in the fuel surcharges, you're just shooting yourself in the foot.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

I used to list on the Canadian site and my sales were next to none, so I'm not chasing the USD, I am trying to sell.

Regardless, eBay should not be taking $ off the shipping fees.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Most selling sites assess the sellers' fees on the TOTAL transaction; so are we to expect ALL other selling sites to waiver those fees that are assessed on the total transaction which includes the shipping costs?...Let's see how that works out..

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Well if we don't make our opinions/ideas heard then nothing will change, will it?  Especially if it's something that doesn't make sense or seems unfair.  I do not profit from the shipping cost so why would they take a profit?

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

K. But this is a member board rarely visited by eBay folks themselves so posting here will do next to nothing. Voice your concerns directly to them is my advice.
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

The fees are on the transaction and that transaction is all inclusive -item price, shipping costs, taxes,etc...

This is eBay's site, eBay's rules and policies ...As users of this site we agree to all the terms like it or not...If we agree to those terms of use we carry on...if we don't agree to those terms of use we move on...

In the grand scheme of things do you really think what doesn't seem "fair" and or doesn't "make sense" to members is going to be a reason for eBay to make a change?

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Noted.  Thanks!

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I'm aware of all the things you are saying regarding eBay polices and fees. Are you suggesting that I should not have an opinion, make suggestions or disagree?

Not everything will change if we speak up, but nothing will change if we stay quite.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@greenmangoes wrote:

Well if we don't make our opinions/ideas heard then nothing will change, will it?  Especially if it's something that doesn't make sense or seems unfair.  I do not profit from the shipping cost so why would they take a profit?

eBay started charging on shipping initially because people were listing things for like 1c with $100 shipping in order to not pay any fees at all.  Honestly, the bottom line is that if you're losing money on some items you should either be charging more, you shouldn't be selling them, or you should be blocking some destinations. Given that the USPS is losing absolutely insane amounts of money right now means that costs in the USA figure to be going up pretty soon too.

I think the only way we're going to see better shipping rates (and hence less of a fee impact) is if Amazon finishes it's new delivery network in Canada and then opens it up to everyone (which they likely WILL do eventually), or if Canada Post finally decides to bring in a small parcel rate.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Looks like the good is suffering for the bad - re: the reason eBay starting charging on shipping 🙂

I think the only way we're going to see better shipping rates (and hence less of a fee impact) is if Amazon finishes it's new delivery network in Canada and then opens it up to everyone (which they likely WILL do eventually), or if Canada Post finally decides to bring in a small parcel rate.

Didn't know about the Amazon tingy... We can only hope ‌🙏

Thanks!

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

@greenmangoes wrote:

eBay started charging on shipping initially because people were listing things for like 1c with $100 shipping in order to not pay any fees at all.  Honestly, the bottom line is that if you're losing money on some items you should either be charging more, you shouldn't be selling them, or you should be blocking some destinations. Given that the USPS is losing absolutely insane amounts of money right now means that costs in the USA figure to be going up pretty soon too.

@greenmangoes 

One of the minor hiccups with this system is the fees are applied based on the lowest shipping option. Putting Canadian sellers at a distinct disadvantage. Regular displays as same price as Expedited which includes the perk of speed. In the USA there are a multitude of options. From past observations I've had FVF's for orders of lesser value higher for Canada than same order going to USA (Because of the small packet option.)  And that has been made more of a challenge with the high fuel surcharges applied to Canadian orders vs US.  To me that doesn't seem right.

-Lotz

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

You want to commit economic seller suicide?  List from ebay.ca instead of .com.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply