Sending Watchers Offers????

Stumbled across this on the dot com board.  Dated 08-23-2018 08:33:19 AM. No idea if it is in effect on dot ca or ever will be but something else to possibly throw a wrench into selling on dot ca vs dot com. Possibly only in Beta on dot com and they were throwing it out there to see if it would stick!!

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Send-a-watcher-an-offer-Clarification/m-p/28886862#M1273671

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/videos/222851305076068/

Makes one wonder what is offered/available on dot com but never sees the light of day on dot ca?  Browse and enjoy!!!

-CM

PS. Post 7 may sum it up best!!!

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

in my opinion it is not a good idea;

all my item are at Fixed Price and some items have a watcher for ever.

Buyers are using this feature to remember...like "control D" on your computer to bookmark a page. If you start sending offers to watchers you will stir away potential buyers from this feature...they will be annoyed by the emails...just put a "Best Offer" on your listing instead. Leave the watcher alone. The most revealing feature for seller is the "views" number...as long as they are counted accurately.

my 2 cents

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

I don't think I like the idea of sending a watcher an offer.  A lot of us want to remain anonymous when we are watching.  I watch for a variety of reasons & it isn't always that I am interested in buying.  Sometimes I just want to see what the item will sell for as I may have a similar item to sell myself. 

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

I agree with you. Believe some single watchers are just that.  Sellers that have the same item to sell and it's their way to monitor prices and selling trends.  If someone does see several watchers and they ARE interested in your item it can definitely trigger a purchase. Also, when a seller can see watchers they would have the option to lower the price slightly at their discretion instead of sending out random offers.

-CM

PS.   Just wish all/any watchers would display on a listing like they did in the past. Who decided 5 was the magic number for watchers? Shouldn't ANY watchers show up?

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

amcdc79
Community Member

Whenever a seller drops their price on an item, be it on sale or permanent, all the watchers do get an email from ebay letting them know. I know that I have been informed in the past regarding a price change on an item I am watching.  I don't really mind those.

But the ones that do grate on me, are the ones that ebay throws at me regarding cheaper versions that are not as good as the watched item. Of course they are cheaper, because they aren't new, or missing parts, or in worse condition than the watched item.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Unfortunately, most of the emails I have been receiving as of late are from US sellers that do not ship to Canada as standard practice. Entirely not useful!!! If they can send them, they should also be able to screen that specific detail!!!

-CM

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

That must be due to a setting in your email preferences.  I don't like to be spammed by ebay so I have turned off most notifications.  I do not get a message whenever a watched item is discounted.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

“But the ones that do grate on me, are the ones that ebay throws at me regarding cheaper versions that are not as good as the watched item. Of course they are cheaper, because they aren't new, or missing parts, or in worse condition than the watched item.”

These are dangerous. Both to buyers and sellers. I use the feedback link on my email whenever I get one telling ebay it’s dirty advertising to send this to me. The items aren’t what I want. If they were, I’d have found them myself.
Message 8 of 19
latest reply

I would be interested in knowing who the watchers are as a gauge to see who's watching, more sellers or buyers etc.....

In my opinion, sending a watcher an offer is sign of desperation on the sellers part and is something that I would never entertain.  

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

My main concern about this concept is that it appears to only be currently only available to dot com sellers, but not dot ca sellers. Does not seem to even the playing field when dot ca sellers have the number of disadvantages we currently have!!! Entirely up to a seller if they care to use.

-CM

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

I don't think that it is available to most .com sellers at this point and we don't know if it ever will be. 

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Unfortunately, most of the emails I have been receiving as of late are from US sellers that do not ship to Canada as standard practice. Entirely not useful!!! If they can send them, they should also be able to screen that specific detail!!!

-CM

Yes CM, sending an email to a watcher in Canada when the seller does not ship to Canada, or uses the hated GSP, is a total waste of time and effort, yet it happens all the time.

I wonder if any sellers here have raised their prices on items they sell. I know that there are some that I have raised, after checking out the price other sellers were getting.

If you promise not to tell anyone, I actually change prices all the time. If a listing has lets say a $10 shipping charge, sometimes I will add $10 to the item price, and say free shipping on the listing. Most buyers like free shipping, but if that doesn't do the trick, I'll change it back. Of course, YMMV.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

I am going to cease sending offers to watchers since 9/10 they still don’t purchase. Guess they’re thinking I will lower it even more. Absolutely not! My prices are ridiculously low as it is, and I cover shipping.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Coincidentally I just got one as a buyer, and was going to come and ask or read about sellers' experiences with it. I have accepted at least one as a buyer and I do like getting them even if I don't always accept them, but I have never sent any to my watchers.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Watchers are watchers, some buy, most just watch.

ZOMBIE thread from 2018

Message 15 of 19
latest reply

I find it usually works maybe 10% of the time and I usually send 10% off. Its not that great, even when they accept you then have to wait for them to pay, and sometimes they don't. Its pretty ridiculous that you can't enable Immediate Payment for offers sent. Also its extremely annoying that eBay now enables Counter Offers on by default on the app.

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

@travis7s 

Or that you are unable to send revised invoices for best offer transactions.

-Lotz

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

Nothing worse then when you're shopping for something and someone offers you a deal
Message 18 of 19
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 19 of 19
latest reply