Ship to a different address

Have a buyer, already paid, who now wishes me to send to a new address.  Something in my mind has a niggle of a warning against doing this.  Ebay policy?  Common sense, or plain old seller paranoia?  Any input is good, thanks in advance guys and dolls, Alan, Land of Snow

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

You should only ship to the address that eBay says to ship to since you will have no protection if you ship to another address. You need to cancel the buyers purchase, have the buyer correct his ship to address or add another ship to address (he can do this at checkout), and then repurchase.

However, if it's a cheap item and you ship using lettermail you have no protection anyway, so if its a buyer you can trust then go ahead and ship.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I regularly ship to a different address, as vintage says if its untracked one is not protected anyway.

In my (stamp) world I often have folks buying for mom, dad, grandma, grandpa. (for gifts or because they can't work the computers/ebay).

I do not recall ever losing an item that was requested to be shipped to a different address...

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

As others have said ,if you send to an address different than the payment address, you won't be protected if the buyer files an inr since you can't show delivery confirmation to the payment address.  If you aren't using tracking and the item isn't expensive, your risk isnt really increased so you just have to use your judgement as to what you want to do.  I've also sent a few items to a different address on request without any problems but again, it is whatever you are comfortable with.

Do make sure that the person who sent you the message was the buyer.  There have been cases of someone with a different ID making a request and the seller not noticing that the requester was not the buyer.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

https://www.ebay.ca/help/account/changing-account-settings/changing-address-ebay-account?id=4201&st=...

Cancel the transaction using "Problem with address" then have your Buyer repurchase the item using the correct shipping address.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Is this a $15 item or a $120 item?

Double check that the change of address comes from your buyer, and not someone entirely different.

Use Messages to confirm the change of address with the actual buyer.

I'd be comfortable, after that, with shipping the $15 untracked to the new address, but if it were a $120 book, I'd want the buyer to go through the process to cancel, change address, and repurchase "for his security" and mention that the package will be tracked "for his security".

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Once again, thank you my comrades, I have made my executive decision based on your opinions and go Jays go! 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

YOU ARE VERY VERY VERY LUCKY!!!! - GO BUY A LOTTO TICKET-- YOU HAVE UNBELIEVABLE LUCK ALL THE POWER TO YOU BUT THE ADVICE YOU GIVE TO MERE MORTALS LIKE REGULAR SELLERS IS WRONG ---NEVER NEVER SEND TO AN ADDRESS OUTSIDE OF THE ONE EBAY SEND TO YOU TO SEND TO 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply