Shipping Charge

Is it true that canada post and usps sends some sort of bill and /or ebay charges you if you mis labelled a parcel in size or weight when using ebay labels? Does one be notified of such charges? Im not planning on pulling something shifty i am genuinely just curious.
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Shipping Charge

Yes its true if you use any of the services that sell commercial labels .  They notify you when they bill you.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@cutie.loves.beauty wrote:
Is it true that canada post and usps sends some sort of bill and /or ebay charges you if you mis labelled a parcel in size or weight when using ebay labels? Does one be notified of such charges? Im not planning on pulling something shifty i am genuinely just curious.

You COULD be charged, but it's not a guarantee that you will be.

If you send something Expedited Lite and say it's 180g when it's actually 220g, you'll almost certainly be charged the difference between expedited lite and regular expedited (which could be a difference of $20 or more). This is also a good place for a reminder that Expedited Lite also has size limits.

If you send something tracked packet and say it's 300g when it's really 475g, you (probably) won't be charged since the tier goes from 251g to 500g.

If you really mess up and send something in Canada in a 12x12x12 box and say it's 300g when it's actually 3kg, you (probably) won't be charged because the box will be billed as volumetric weight which would be about 6kg. If you say the same box is 8x8x8 when it's really 12x12x12, you'll likely be billed a not insignificant amount as the volumetric weight will change from ~2kg to 6kg.

For whatever it's worth, before eBay labels I actually had Canada Post automatically refund me once for inputting measurements that were larger than what the PO measured.  I doubt commercial carriers or eBay labels would do that though.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

How will they inform you?

thanx 🙂

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

For one of my first parcels Can. post charged me 1.94 more and it just showed up as a second line with the same order number on my "all transactions page", no notifications. I'm still not sure what was wrong there because I'm obsessively meticulous with my measurements and even add a little bit more as a precaution.

Once Fedex messed up and "remeasured" incorrectly 2 of my parcels, or so I've been told. They charged me twice more for each and, again, I just saw a line in my transactions, no notifications. Had to call Fedex to sort it out and started to take a picture of each of my parcels on a scale at Staples when I ship them.

And one time my buyer called Fedex and changed the address after I shipped the item. Apparently it costs $15 and they didn't even bother to put it as a separate charge, it was just $30 shipping, instead of $15. Had to call them to find that out and try not to use Fedex any more....

There are never any notifications other than the charge itself in the transactions, so, I watch those closely and compare to what I know they should be.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@morepleaseshop wrote:

For one of my first parcels Can. post charged me 1.94 more and it just showed up as a second line with the same order number on my "all transactions page", no notifications. I'm still not sure what was wrong there because I'm obsessively meticulous with my measurements and even add a little bit more as a precaution.

Once Fedex messed up and "remeasured" incorrectly 2 of my parcels, or so I've been told. They charged me twice more for each and, again, I just saw a line in my transactions, no notifications. Had to call Fedex to sort it out and started to take a picture of each of my parcels on a scale at Staples when I ship them.

And one time my buyer called Fedex and changed the address after I shipped the item. Apparently it costs $15 and they didn't even bother to put it as a separate charge, it was just $30 shipping, instead of $15. Had to call them to find that out and try not to use Fedex any more....

There are never any notifications other than the charge itself in the transactions, so, I watch those closely and compare to what I know they should be.

devon@ebay 

Hello Devon,

Could you please address this situation please? It's come up a few times recently. If there are going to be bills after the fact any charges should include some kind of explanation. Similar to what we saw with Shippo or would receive using Canada Post. Something similar should also be in place for credits like an official email.

Thanks. 

-Lotzofuniquegoodies

@morepleaseshop 

@cutie.loves.beauty 

@flipistics 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Random thoughts.

I've had underpaid Canada Post shipments returned for more postage.

They turn up in the mail* with a yellow label over the original address.

However, I usually use stamps to ship, whether untracked LetterMail or tracked parcels,  so that may make a difference in handling.

I just correct the postage and drop it back  in the mailbox if there has not been too much delay.

Later, and I do some fast bridge building with my buyer.

If the buyer gave the wrong address or refused the shipment, technically we are not required to refund anything. But most will make some sort of arrangement.

FedEx is notorious for charging large amounts for already paid (and apparently correct) labels weeks or months later.

They pull the same scam on buyers/importers. The recipient signs for the item then gets a bill for "customs brokerage fees " later. If the buyer refers them to various difficult anatomical acts, FedEx will then bill the seller for the import fees owed by the buyer.

Don't use FedEx. They are unreliable and more expensive that they seem.

Oh yes.

The rate for shipping up to 30 gr by Letter Post is92c. The value of a P stamp is 92c. You can send a 29gr letter with two 46c stamps (or a 37 c + 55c, etc)

But some postal clerks, and the odd poster here, cannot understand that if you buy a single stamp at a PO counter, the $1.07 you pay covers the postage PLUS a 15c service fee.

There is a poster having a problem with that in Quebec.

*if I'm lucky a day  or two later, but misaddressed, underpaid or refused mail is not a priority

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

victim of the same situation as mentionned in an other post

Message 8 of 8
latest reply