Shipping USPS from Canada

Hello everyone Noob here..

I was wondering as im close to the border if it is possible without getting my account blocked/frozen or suspended if i am able to print labels for usps as of right now i dont know how i would make a shipping label unless its with ebay .com?

I just opened an ebay.ca account am i allowed to go to ebay.com and try to print a label there? and is it ok to do so?

are there any alternative methods for printing shipping labels?

thanks for the help in advance

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

@titanscentral wrote:

I was wondering as im close to the border if it is possible without getting my account blocked/frozen or suspended if i am able to print labels for usps as of right now i dont know how i would make a shipping label unless its with ebay .com?

I just opened an ebay.ca account am i allowed to go to ebay.com and try to print a label there? and is it ok to do so?

are there any alternative methods for printing shipping labels?

Look into setting up an account with goshippo.com -- Shippo will be taking over the duty of processing eBay labels later this year (currently handled by paypal).

Shippo allows you to choose from a number of different carriers.

Don't forget that the USPS does want a return address that is located in the USA.

-..-

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I don't think it would cause your eBay account to be blocked or frozen in any way.

EBay does not handle shipping for you, although it enables shipping through Paypal (Canada only from dotCA) and Shippo (new service that apparently can deal with USPS as well as Canada Post). 

If you are in Canada and listing on dotCA, you would be shipping using Canada Post (and a couple of couriers ). You would be able to use either Flat Rate or Calculated Shipping.

If you are in Canada and listing on dotCOM you would be shipping using Canada Post (etc) using only Flat Rate Shipping from an International Location.

If you are in the States and listing on dotCA, you would be shipping using USPS (etc) using only Flat Rate Shipping from an International Location.

If you are able to carry your items across the border and ship with USPS, keep in mind the labour cost of doing so. Also you may find that this is not an allowable activity. You may need a special permit or a green card.

Are you familiar with chitchatexpress and the similar services that do this for Canadian eBayers?

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Thank you for your replies.

Thats' where I was getting at femmefan, there is a service here in Manitoba called runninred that I would be using.

Now i know this is a noob question but anyway to get usps boxes? i guess theres no need for them unless im using prepaid ones...correct?

thanks for your help and support.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@titanscentral wrote:

Thank you for your replies.

Thats' where I was getting at femmefan, there is a service here in Manitoba called runninred that I would be using.

Now i know this is a noob question but anyway to get usps boxes? i guess theres no need for them unless im using prepaid ones...correct?

thanks for your help and support.

As long as the total of your package doesn't exceed $2500 in one go across the border and no single package is over $800 in value, the process is very simple. You need to cross in the commercial lane and have a prepared Inward Cargo Manifest. You'll pay a per crossing fee (I forget off hand but its between $10-15 us or you can get a transponder for a yearly rate ($400 ish USD). This will determine, based on your volume and cost averaging those costs, whether or not it makes sense for you to deliver yourself across the border or use a third party service. Just be aware that third party services don't always follow the correct import procedures and have been banned from border crossings. You are putting your packages in the hands of a third party that absolves themselves of all liability.

You'll need to find out if there are any restrictions on the types of goods you sell. Everything has to have the country of origin marked on the packaging, even if you sell items without packaging. Amazon sells made in China stickers that can be used. You may require other warning information to be present in the box or on the item's packaging based on the category of goods. Textiles are a sticky area and have gotten several locals here banned.

For label printing you can also consider using endicia, stamps or a number of other third parties for US label printing. I use and prefer endicia personally, none of the headaches that crop up with paypal label printing from time to time. You can sign up with a Canadian credit card if an alternative to paypal is of interest.

For a post office box, you can pay a yearly rate and you'll want one that is part of the "street addressing" program. This variety assigns you a unit number and use the format 1234 Acme Street #5678 rather than PO BOX 1234 Beverly Hills, CA. That program allows you to receive shipments from all carriers and is generally accepted by every merchant since your address doesn't explicitly state It is a PO box. You can sign up in person at the nearest post office to your border crossing. Rental is $60 USD a year, which makes it great for your personal shopping as well as a return address for US customers. Much cheaper than using any of the package receiving places that charge on a per shipment basis. 

If you want you can also sign up for a US bank account (be sure to fill out a W8BEN if you do which states you are not conducting any business in the US). The bank account I use costs me nothing, reimburses all ATM fees and has a debit Master Card that I have linked to my paypal address. This gives you flexibility to transfer funds in USD then convert or spend at your leisure and avoid some of the screw you fees associated with currency conversion.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Again thank you for the reply.

Since Im a new seller I was wondering if Im allowed to sell on Ebay.com or do i have to wait a few months? also it sucks that i cant pull up an option on ebay.ca that says i can ship usps, I just add it to my description. does anyone know if there is a way . Im assuming there isnt as you cant print usps labels through ebay.ca

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

but anyway to get usps boxes

Have you asked the trans-shipper runninred? This may be part of their service. Or not.

wondering if Im allowed to sell on Ebay.com

Yes.

You can sell on any eBay site. EBay Australia. EBay Germany. EBay... hmm... there does not seem to be an eBay Mexico.

If you do use another site, you must list in their currency (USD, Australian dollars, euros) and you cannot use Canada Post shipping rates.

Again, this may not be a problem since you will be using a trans-shipper, but be sure to add a small handling charge to cover your shipper's fees.

Or you could include that in your Cookie Jar Insurance. But don't worry about that right now.

USPS tracking is CHEAP! and US buyers expect it.

There are restrictions on selling overseas, but really those are as much for your protection as a naive newbie (though asking questions shows you are smarter than the average Scoobie) as anything problematic.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply